PDA

View Full Version : Page fault when starting Microstudio 2.103 - Needed to upgrade ASPI Driver

derick1
February 18th, 2001, 08:11 PM
I'm having trouble anytime I start Microstudio v2.103. As soon as I start it I get a page fault with the following error:
MICROSTUDIO caused an invalid page fault in
module <unknown> at 0000:760e1494.
Registers:
EAX=ffffffff CS=0167 EIP=760e1494 EFLGS=00010286
EBX=00000000 SS=016f ESP=00b0ff90 EBP=00b0ffcc
ECX=c16dc550 DS=016f ESI=bff92c37 FS=2d17
EDX=bffc9490 ES=016f EDI=bff7c8bd GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:

Stack dump:
81739a7c 00000008 81736524 bff88f20 760e3158 81739a7c 00000008 81736524 00000007 00b0ffa4 00b0fdc0 ffffffff bffc05b4 bff79050 00000000 00b0ffec

When I close out the error, the program shuts down. I've tried rebooting, reinstalling, and even fdisked the drive twice and reinstalled everything. No luck. I've made all the settings per mtu install information, the only thing I could not find was the aspienum.vxd file. I've tried checking for ASPIENUM.VXD, but could not find it at all on my computer. I've emailed mtu, but I just wanted to check here in case that isn't the cause since I'm wanting it working for this Saturday.
My machine has the following:
amd400, fic motherboard VA-503+,128 mb of toshiba ram, a 20 gb hard drive, a generic 4 mb S3 agp card, and audiophile 2496 audio card for sound(I've also tried a generic sound card with opti 931 chipset.), a network card, and a modem. I'm using the plextor 12x/10x/32A that I bought from mtu. I use the plextor software no problem. Burning discs is no problem (obviously, I don't know about cdg's...). To repeat, I cannot get microstudio to work at all, and I was hoping to use it this weekend for my birthday party to play some cdg's I was going to rent. I've no problems running cakewalk 9, chordfinder, or raygun. (So far the only programs on the machine.)
Thanks in advance, David.

[Edited by derick1 on 02-18-2001 at 08:38 PM]

MTUSUPPORT
February 19th, 2001, 09:25 AM
Have your friend try this for you with our Microstudio demo version. Please post here if it doesn't fix the problem.

For application software like CD Creator, Microstudio, CDRWIN, etc. to control an IDE or SCSI CD-Recorder on a Windows PC computer, you need an ASPI driver. Since Microsoft's WNASPI32.DLL ASPI drivers that come with Windows9x CD-ROMs appear to have the same file date (they all show version 1.00), it is risky to use this to distinguish the version.

To check the ASPI drivers on your computer, run Adaptec’s ASPICHK software: ftp://ftp.adaptec.com/software_pc/aspi/aspichk.exe This usually suggests you update your SCSI drivers with their latest version from: ftp://ftp.adaptec.com/software_pc/aspi/aspi32.exe This will replace all Adaptec ASPI drivers on your computer.

If you have a non-Adaptec SCSI host adapter card (or no SCSI card), the ASPI32.EXE program will refuse to update your WNASPI32.DLL driver.

IMPORTANT - The ASPI32.EXE only checks the presence of the SCSI port drivers for Adaptec hardware. Therefore, if you install the drivers for an Adaptec host adapter card, their software WILL - I REPEAT WILL do the upgrade.

IMPORTANT - Windows 95/98 allows installing a device driver whether or not you have the target hardware on your computer. Follow these steps:

[li] Click the Start button, then Control Panel, then Add New Hardware
[li] When the Add New Hardware Wizard displays a device list for installation and asks for a selection, click No, the device isn't in the list and click the Next button
[li] When the Wizard asks Do you want Windows to search for your new hardware? click No, I want to select the hardware from a list and click the Next button
[li] In the Hardware Types: list, scroll down and select SCSI Controller and click the Next button
[li] In the next dialog that appears, for Manufacturer: select Adaptec and for Model: select AHA-1510 SCSI Host Adapter and click the Next button (do not click the [Have Disk...] button)

NOTE: After you have done through step 7 below, if the ASPI32.EXE program complains that an Adaptec SCSI Host is not found, do this again and select a different Model than AHA-1510. A Plug-and-play adapter has worked for some.

[li] Proceed with the Next and Finish buttons to end the Wizard. This procedure copies a low-level Adaptec SCSI driver from the Win9x setup source.
[li] Next, run ASPI32.EXE ftp://ftp.adaptec.com/software_pc/aspi/aspi32.exe which should now install the necessary SCSI-related ASPI drivers on your computer
[li] Restart your computer to activate the new driver

derick1
March 3rd, 2001, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the help. I wasn't able to install the aspi driver without a scsi card, but I was lucky enough to have an old unused adaptec card for a scsi internal zip. I installed the card, everything worked great. It was the hit of the party! It only crashed one time, and restarted without having to reboot. Thanks a lot.
Dave