PDA

View Full Version : Poor quality graphics

BryanDP
September 25th, 2003, 09:29 PM
I have downloaded the Hoster Demo and attempted ripping some songs from my Yamaha CDRW. The songs rip without any errors or anything, but they play back with very poor quality in the graphics. The letters sort of look like they are all broken up and depending on the brand of CD+G disc they may not really be readable at all.

Is this likley a problem with my CDRW and its compatability with the program? Or am I doing something else wrong? I've tried ripping at 1X and 2X, but the result is the same. I've also tried different screen resolutions and bit depth, but none of that helps.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer! If I can get this little snafu worked out I'll definitely be purchasing this program!

Bryan

BryanDP
September 25th, 2003, 09:52 PM
I should probably ad that the "poor quality" is basically due to dropouts in the text for the words in the song and graphics that come up before the songs. It "sort of" works, as I can see the yellow coming up to change colors and so forth, but it is virtually unreadable due to so many dropouts in the graphics.

Thanks.

Bryan

mlepine
September 25th, 2003, 10:52 PM
Bryan,

Sorry to say that the problem is your Yamaha Burner. It feels stange for me to say this because I'm the one on this Forum who tried to defend them in the past.

Your burner says it will read cdg well what you see is what they call CDG at Yamaha!!

There is only one brand that is 100% compatible with cdg & it's the Plextor brand. I would also recommend buying it from MTU, why? They test ALL burners before shipping.

They're is a way to get some improvement on your graphic and it's to disable the DMA on your secondary EDI controler.

If you can tell me wich Windows your running I can help you disable the DMA.

What model is your Yamaha burner by the way?

Regards

BryanDP
September 26th, 2003, 12:47 AM
I can't remember the exact model of the Yamaha (it's at the office and I'm at home), though it is one of the latest. It actually duplicates (copy and burn) CD+Gs just fine, but I guess it can't "rip" them.

I can figure out the DMA stuff, but I'll probably just hunt down a Plextor unit or just place an order from MTU. I kind of suspected that was what I was going to have to do anyway. I just wanted to make sure that it wan't the program or something simple.

Thanks for your help.

By the way...I have another question that I posted here if you want to help me out with that one too...

http://forum.mtu.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2833 (http://)

Thanks,

Bryan

jaddams
September 26th, 2003, 02:22 AM
Bryan,

AS of today, there is no better brand than the Plextor line for CDG recording. If you intent to purchase one, I would also recommend that you give MTU a try.

Every single burner they sell, is tested before it's sent to the customer.

Good luck,

Jon

gduns - with the Lord
September 26th, 2003, 08:37 AM
Bryan,
If you are using one of the competitions programs to copy cdg disks, yes it will copy fine. but it is not completely compatable. it is only doing a bit by bit copy. Hoster, I believe I am right will with the right reader make a good copy of some you wont be able to copy with the copy program. I also have burners that will copy, but they dont work as well as the plextor by a long shot.

BryanDP
September 26th, 2003, 10:43 AM
One more question....

If all I'm doing is ripping (and not burning) CD+G discs would a Plextor CD-ROM do me just as well as a CDRW?

Bryan

gduns - with the Lord
September 26th, 2003, 11:17 AM
If it is on Their approved list of cd readers then I say yes. Otherwise I wouldnt chance using a noncompatable drive and expect their software to work. Mainly because the apci drivers won't see the drive.

gduns - with the Lord
September 26th, 2003, 11:22 AM
By The way I tried a sony, because it was on the list. But it was putting broken graphics in the songs. so I took it back and got the plextor. No more problems. You would think sony was better, but WRONG!

mlepine
September 26th, 2003, 05:25 PM
Bryan,

The reason you have lot's of broken letters is the DMA, if you disable it you will still have some broken letters but not as much.
Yamaha burners doesn't seem to work with DMA & CDG.

To answer your question, the graphic you'll have once you disable the DMA is the SAME graphic you'll have if you make a back up CDG.

I guess your model is the latest they made & will burn at 40X?
Yamaha no longer makes Internal EDI burners, only the External USB model.
I will also suggest you go take ALL UPDATES availaible like; Firmware & Software (Nero) on the Yamaha site before they're no longer available.

Regards

mlepine
September 26th, 2003, 05:37 PM
Bryan,

by the way, ripping or a copy will be done the same way:

Ripping= Extracting the data in the hard drive in a cdg file if of course you use Microstudio or KMA (WMA Compressed File) in the case of Hoster.

Copy= Extracting the data in the hard drive (Temp File) & than burn on a cd.

Your Yamaha will work the same way on ripping or copy.

Regards