PDA

View Full Version : Dual display error

joe's jams
September 4th, 2003, 12:37 AM
I have just completed set-up of a new computer system using Hoster Version 2.010. Everthing seems to be working fine except the 2nd monitor has a vertical hold problem. I tried a differant monitor but still had the same problem. I am using an ATI RADEON dual-display video card. The display on the computer is working perfectly along with the small screen that showing the lyrics. Could I have a bad video card or is there something I haven't set up correctly.

pcgumshoe
September 4th, 2003, 02:26 AM
Aren't we on Hoster 2.014 now? I would first make sure you are updated. Also, which ATI radeon card? That may make a difference and have you updated all your software?

Those are just the beginnings of the questions I would have.

joe's jams
September 4th, 2003, 03:07 AM
I thought Hoster version 2.010 was the latest, but anyway I'm using ATI RADEON version 4.1, Microstudio V2.400 and XP PRO. Version 2002. I'm running an Intel Celeron processor, 735 MHz with 512 MB of RAM, a 40 GB Hard drive and an NTFS file system. Is there is any other software that you need input on?

joe's jams
September 4th, 2003, 04:24 AM
I just checked and my dual display video card is a RADEON 7000 VE.

pcgumshoe
September 4th, 2003, 06:22 AM
Is the second monitor a computer monitor or a singer's monitor (i.e. a T.V.)?

And when you say, "Vertical Hold" are you referring to the "monitor" keeps scrolling up or down?

Some suggestions if you are using a computer monitor: Change the Refresh Rate from a higher number to a lower number, this may cause eye strain but so will drinking beer and singing. :g

If it is a computer monitor and an OLD one, you may have to adjust the synch manually on the monitor. I remember that they used to have knobs on them in the old day!

If you are using a T.V., make sure the resolution is 800x600 (no larger) and that your refresh rate is at or below 60Hz.

Some starting points, at best. I will also note that you are right at the cusp of an acceptable system for the karaoke software but in second check of Hoster's requirements, you are below the spec. You should have an 800MHz Processor.

Runs on Windows 2000, XP Pro (recommended), XP Home, but not 98SE or ME (they do not support the WMA data compression).
CDG Certified CD-Recorder to import CDG Karaoke discs to the hard drive.
Graphics video card must support Direct-X 8.1 or higher. For dual-display use, requires an ATI or equivalent dual-display card.
The computer must have an Ethernet card or port installed. If you do not have one you can order an inexpensive USB network module from MTU that allows Hoster to run on multiple computers, but only on the one with that USB network module currently installed.
Processor should be at least 800 MHz Pentium 3 (or equivalent) or faster.

gduns - with the Lord
September 4th, 2003, 11:56 AM
I found with the ati card it is selectable for the european standard for video, or the american version, and comes standard with the european setting. also on the one I was using i had to set the monitor setings at 16 bit color for some reason. I forget what they are calling these standards.... pal vs ???

gduns - with the Lord
September 4th, 2003, 11:59 AM
also, does the 7000 support dual display..... I think there is a thread on that in here somewhere.

jaddams
September 4th, 2003, 12:27 PM
Joey,

The ATI 7000 does not support dual displays.

The lowest ATI card that supports dual display is the 7500.

Regards,

Jon

pcgumshoe
September 4th, 2003, 01:26 PM
I thought I had seen that somewhere about the 7000 card, but I didn't want to say the wrong thing... However, the CPU caught me off guard towards the end when I decided to look up the specs for hoster vs Kpro.

joe's jams
September 4th, 2003, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. It seems that I'm going to have to start all over. I have to get the correct video card and then take Hoster off the computer I have it on now, and load it onto another computer. I checked and I have a computer that has a 40 GB hard drive running an Intel Celeron processor with a speed of 1.2 GHZ. It's operating system is XP PRO. The only problem is that I'll have to update the RAM. It only has 256 MB. Thanks again, I sure hope all this is worth the time and effort.
By the way, my singer's monitor is a TV monitor.

jaddams
September 4th, 2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Joey
I have to get the correct video card and then take Hoster off the computer I have it on now, and load it onto another computer. I checked and I have a computer that has a 40 GB hard drive running an Intel Celeron processor with a speed of 1.2 GHZ
As it stands today, you will not be able to run Hoster on another computer, unless you use the exact Ethernet Controller that you had when you registered Hoster with MTU.

Currently, Hoster’s security features are tied-in to the Ethernet Controller MACID number which is unique in the world. If you install Hoster in another computer which has a different Ethernet Controller, you will not be able to open it and you will receive a system error #1 message. For more information about this error, please click here (http://forum.mtu.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2349)

If you current Ethernet Controller (the one you used to register Hoster) is not built-in into your current motherboard, then you’ll have no problems, simply transfer the controller to your new computer.

Alternatively, if you want to use Hoster on different computers (only one at a time) then you can purchase an USB Ethernet Controller, for you to be able to use this option, you must first obtain another product ID from MTU.

It’s my understanding that MTU is working on another security scheme that will not require an Ethernet Card to run Hoster but to the best of my knowledge, this option is not currently available.

Regards,

Jon

George
September 4th, 2003, 05:45 PM
Joey,

As long as you are going to the well for another video card, if purchasing another ATI, those that are advertised as "POWERED BY ATI" could be a gamble.

These cards are generally not manufactured by ATI, but use ATI systems, and are available quite cheap. In some cases they can be problematic.

Best to purchase those advertised as "MADE BY ATI".

This was an issue that came up when Hoster was new on the market and dual display was new to us. MTU support first made us aware of the potential problem.

Some already had the "ATI POWERED" and used it successfully, so I guess it's a roll of the dice.

Your call, of course, but thought you should be advised.

Take care,

George

joe's jams
September 6th, 2003, 10:52 PM
My ETHERNET CONTROLLER is not built into my motherboard so that will not be a problem.

jaddams
September 7th, 2003, 12:46 AM
Joey,

Glad to hear it. Enjoy the programs. :)

Sincerely,

Jon