PDA

View Full Version : Songbook errors

joe's jams
September 3rd, 2003, 07:10 PM
I'm running Hoster Version 2.011 and it's not compiling the Artists and Titles lists correctly. List by last name first or List by first name last, it's all the same. For the Artist file, it's listing Adam Sandler and Al Stewart (for example) in the A's. When generating the file for Titles, all the group names that begin with a "THE" are being listed under the T's. For example THE ALLMAN BROTHERS are being filed under the T's instead of in the A's. I've read everything in this forum and haven't found anyone who's had this problem.

bspaint
September 11th, 2003, 04:37 PM
When you imported the songs, the data in the artist column is exacly how it will read in the book. the database has songs listed both ways. On some songs it list strait, george and sometimes it list george strait. Hoster is a fantastic program with a very poor data base.

Beavis
September 11th, 2003, 07:22 PM
you can use microsoft access to edit the song titles or artist.

admin
September 11th, 2003, 11:06 PM
In an attempt to correct our database errors from many sources, I contracted with a gentleman who programs database applications for a living, and is a Hoster user also!

I failed to inform him that even though the Artist name was in a single database field, it was CSV (Comma Separated Values) for "The," and "First, Last". Without my forewarning him of this, he pulled out all the commas. This destroyed the ability to create a "Last Name First" songbook printout. It also places "The" under T, just as Joe's Jams reports.

I have a meeting Monday morning with a new local programmer who has done a lot of work with Access Database. We will be developing tools to allow MTU to easily fix some of the problems that have been remaining too long, and to add new songs to the database. If I get my way (hey... I am the Pres after all!), we'll have a new means on our web site to update your databases on-line for "changes only".

Your criticisms are regretfully well founded. We have had two upgrades that helped and hindered. We are now taking a new direction to solve your complaints. We don't give up, it just takes a while sometimes to get things figured out and find the right talent, and the right time. :w

Our current intent for new database upgrading is to:

1. Add the commas back in so you can print Last-First name.

2. Fix the "The" problem.

3. Add new songs in to begin a "modernizing" of the main database.

4. Prevent entering double " quotes in the Import Tracks Tab as these are the kiss of death to our queries (we use them as delimiters for the single ' quotes around nicknames :r).

5. Continue working on providing a means to update your Hoster databases on-line.

We do listen, it is that the wheels of perfection grind slowly, but finely. :w

Dean Gadberry
January 9th, 2004, 03:44 PM
I have tried to print out the song books but the only books that print are the Artists and the Titles lists. The Brands, Country, and Duets don't print out. I can see when it is getting ready to print it is only generating the first 2 and the others don't come up on the screen. I am running 2.14 Hoster and I see that I am having the same problem as users in 2.01 had in printing out the Artist by first or last name and also the "The" problem. This problem must still being worked on.:?