PDA

View Full Version : Next Hoster Release

Wayne White
August 25th, 2003, 07:25 AM
MTU..........

When do you expect to make a new release of Hoster available & what kind of improvements are being implemented in it?

My biggest wish is to resolve the conflict Hoster seems to be having with other programs when trying to play Dance Music from the same computer. I couple of weeks ago I asked in a post whether MTU acknowledges that this is a problem and I have not seen a post in response.

If you can't see any reason why Hoster would cause this problem, lot's of us need to be figuring out what is wrong with our computers.

The ability to pull WMA tracks from a file on the hard drive into the Hoster playlist would get us by, but, some nights are all DJ music & it would be real nice to be able to use my other software without the embarressment of songs stopping abruptly.

Wayne

gduns - with the Lord
August 25th, 2003, 07:40 AM
Wayne,
I Had this problem also, but I resolved a few conflicts with irq's and brought the ram up to 1 gig, and now that part works ok I can leave the windows media player minimized when I am playing hoster and visa-versa. they both work well.

Wayne White
August 25th, 2003, 09:09 AM
I increased Ram to 768 with no impact on this problem. I don't think it's IRQ's because the problem didn't exist until installing the Hoster update where MTU sent us the CD. Media Player as well as MixMeister both stop & the start back up intermittently even when I have Hoster closed.

I suppose I could totally remove Hoster from one of my laptops on a slow week and see whether the problem exists with Hoster removed. As many people as I've seen posts from about this, I don't think it's just my configuration.

Wayne

gduns - with the Lord
August 25th, 2003, 09:35 AM
WELL......
I was one of the posters that had that problem. but I had the video card, the sound card, the raid controller, and the network cards all on the same irq. but at the same time I switched from the soundblaster live audio board to the soundblaster audiology board, and up graded from 512mg ram to 1 gig. the problem went away. I dont know which fixed it, but it is gone now.

Wayne White
August 25th, 2003, 10:42 PM
I am glad you resolved your problem Gduns. Unfortunately your solution means little to me. I am working with a laptop with factory installed network,video & sound cards. Unless the XP Service Pack 1 or the new Hoster CD installation changed my IRQ selections, they should be the same as they were when everything was working OK.

The point of my post is to get MTU to respond. I wanna know if MTU thinks the problem is my PC or whether Hoster is causing the problem.

I have thought about replacing the laptop with another system, but, since other people WERE having the same problem, I hesitate to think that this is the answer.

I assume there are still DJs out there that still can't get DJ Software to co-exist with Hoster. Aren't there? Or am I the only one left who hasn't resolved the problem?

Wayne

pcgumshoe
August 26th, 2003, 08:15 AM
Wayne, we are MTU. All the customers helping one another taking the load of the guys and gals that work in or out of an office associated with MTU.

MTU products, for my limited experience, are designed with the same level of compassion that you have for your show. Everybody wants to put on the best show they can, not for the money, but for the fun of it. When I have a GREAT show, I walk away from my day looking forward to the next one and never second guessing why I put up with all the problems associated with the business end of it (Taxes, licensing, technical problems).

I don't know how many people actually work for MTU, but I would guess it isn't much more than 10, maybe upwards of 20 taking into account lawyers, accountants, bookkeepers, Mavis who answers the phones and handles the mail (Mavis doesn't really exist, I think:) )

If I have a point, I think it is this, we all think of the company (whatever one we may be dealing with) as bigger than we are. Some companies attempt to bloat themselves in the image of the consumer so as to insure confidence in there product. MTU isn't Microsoft, but don't think that if Bill had a hair crossed he wouldn't consider engulfing it! Let's all be thankful that Bill doesn't sing karaoke.... but many of those employees do, and I know where :w

We, those of us menions who answer these posts are the front line (tech 1 and sometimes 2) MTU is the Senior Tech and above but even they don't have all the answers.

This may be my subtle way of saying, give 'em a break. The more we can help each other, the more time they can spend on getting the next version out to us!

Gduns brings up some good suggestions. You might be surprised at how poorly so called "Factory Installed" installations are failed! There are a lot of other things that you can do to increase performance to help reduce the cpu load while switching back and forth.

I want to do the same thing you are doing. Right now I use a CD Mixer, LD Player and CDG player to get my job done. When I get to the computer and have all my songs on it, I plan on having Sound Effects on command, MP3 Music for filler and of course all the karaoke. I will be watching this post as I watch them all prempting my next move.

Let's hope we can find your solution.

gduns - with the Lord
August 26th, 2003, 08:38 AM
........And then you get a SHOW like I did last saturday night, where the singers refuse to lookup songs and bring you their own disks and preprinted song slips. I played the whole show through the jvc. Arrgh......

Wayne White
August 26th, 2003, 08:48 AM
Thanks pcgumshoe for your response, but, once again, not what I'm looking for. I don't need anybody to explain MTU to me. I've probably known them longer than most people who post here. I bought Microstudio years ago.

As far as telling me to give them a break, you are out of line.....

I am not riding anyone or being difficult. I am only trying to get an idea from the COMPANY as to their opinion on this issue, which is not a small thing. IF MTU (the real one not all of the customers) wants to take 1 minute to say "Wayne it's not Hoster you had better start tearing your PC apart & change of the default settings until you find something that works" then I guess I will spend all of my free time (which isn't much) troubleshooting my problem. In the meantime, I don't feel that it is unreasonable to ask MTU (the company) for their opinion.

I'm sorry to bug the rest of you with my inquiries, but this forum is the suggested means of communication.

Wayne

MTUSUPPORT
August 26th, 2003, 10:28 AM
Wayne,
I am unable to reproduce any conflicts with Hoster playing on this Laptop that I use, while also Using Media Player.

What other program are you referring to, that is giving you a problem?

I will let Admin answer about the next release of Hoster, as I have been buried and am not sure what they are working on yet.

GDUNS,
I do know that I have gotten your Songs.mdb to the engineer and have been pushing to get this fixed. It will be fixed in the next release (when that comes).

admin
August 26th, 2003, 10:43 AM
There is no simple answer we can give you Wayne. It is clear that some users are working fine with Media Player, while you and others are not. It's not that we are ignoring you, its that we don't have an answer. So, now I have answered. :s

This problem is indicative of a system installation problem, not so much a Hoster software problem. The rewrite we have done of the Hoster Player code should have made it easier to work with MediaPlayer. We don't know why it didn't work for everyone. To interpret the RW codes of CDG format songs and regenerate the graphic image from them is not an easy task. It has been the most expensive part of all our Karaoke developments.

This is a deep technical issue that requires a senior software architect. Ours is now finishing up KPro 5.0 (Lord willing!), and then will be addressing several display problems in Hoster and Microstudio. Our goal is to rewrite the Hoster audio player to use MediaPlayer. That will then allow MP3, WMA, KMA, VCD, DVD et al. to be played from Hoster. I think that is the best way to solve a lot of requests with one upgrade. :w

As to a next Hoster release, there are several bugs that have been worked on the past weeks that we hope to release for beta testing this week if we can. We will post what these are later this week when we have them all fixed. The problem with the Display showing horizontal bars through the words will not be fixed in the next 2.015 release. That will take more time and will be addressed in the Player code upgrade. We need to get the other bugs fixed to prevent some of the problems that users are experiencing.

pcgumshoe
August 26th, 2003, 04:27 PM
"Well here's another fine mess you've gotten us into!" :g

See, now I won't be able to get my precious KPro 5 that will allow me to make karaoke songs with Duets. :r That's okay, I have waited this long, I will wait longer if it will get Wayne his answers :c

We all want to be happy. Wayne, if ther is anything I have noticed it is that MTU and the ADMIN pay more attention to longer threads... Don't quote me on this and don't edit with "ADMIN:" to prove a point. I love these people and I like many others who ALSO don't have much time are only trying to help. We mean no disrespect, just sincere cooperation.

I have seen so many people posting on these forums who have very useful, albeit diverse solutions to problems. If MTU can't come up with an immediate fix, maybe holding a wire hanger in one hand all the while grounding yourself to the chassie may help. :t Who knows.

It sounds to me that you don't want to use Windows MediaPlayer. What program are you planning on using? I have seen PCDJ and the BMG program. I have experimented with them and like the interface. BMG has a USB mixing console that you can add to the system. I am not a DJ by nature but sometimes by demand. I have to make the best of it. :r

Gduns: Thanks! Although I am not running a show from Hoster YET, I keep a laptop handy to look up those songs that people refuse to write the track number on. I am planning on moving to a paperless karaoke show and providing people with the ability to email me their rotation order PRIOR to the show. Additionally, I am planning 5-10 PCs around the bar for song search, lyrics search and rotation selection. I waste so much money on printing my new music selections every week! :r

pcgumshoe
August 26th, 2003, 04:29 PM
We mean to disrespect

That should read: "We mean NO disrespect"

What would Frued say :f

Wayne White
August 26th, 2003, 08:55 PM
I was content to use Media Player for dance tunes we play occasionally on Karaoke nights, but, it started stopping & starting intermittantly. A song may play fine once & the next night it will stop & start. It's not every song, but, it's every night.

I added Mix Meister Pro 4 in hopes that it would work OK & it does the same thing Windows Media Player does.

Since MTU can't see any reason Hoster would cause this, I think I will remove all 3 programs, defrag the computer & then re-install all 3 & see if any thing changes, I will also look at the resource allocations to be sure there no conflicts (although I don't know why there should be). The trouble is me & the laptops being home at the same time.

Wayne

George
August 26th, 2003, 10:14 PM
PCGUMSHOE,

'taint necessarily so. Quantity takes no preference over quality when it comes to post content.

Matter of fact it's very much the opposite considering they mountains of material they have to wade through to provide support. Brevity has always been effective for me, and as one who tries to help on these forums I appreciate the heck out of it.

George

jaddams
August 27th, 2003, 01:14 AM
Ditto on that one George.

Jon

pcgumshoe
August 27th, 2003, 06:42 AM
Wayne, some suggestions:

This starting and stopping very much may have to do with memory. Imagine that you have Mix Meister running, then you go to get a new karaoke song for the next singer (less than 10 megs on 196k compression), if Windows determines that what you are doing in Mix Meister is not as important as the data you are tying to access (into memory according to windows) Windows may start to write information to the page file, this type of situation may give you a hiccup in sound or a longer pause.

I would try a couple of things. These would be in order of severity and the further down the list you go, the more involved what you are doing will be:

1. Turn off all the extra bells and whistles associated with Windows XP. Transitions, smoother fonts, rounded windows... All unnecessary crap just to make it look different from the past. TURN THESE THINGS OFF! why would you want to allocate ANY ram to something that won't help your show? You are the only one looking at the screen, what difference does it make that your windows are rounded over the classic square? Nothing!

To turn these things off you need to do a couple of things. First, let's get rid of the pictured background. Right Mouse-Click on any empty space on the desktop. Next select, "PROPERTIES" once you have those open select the Desktop Tab and select "NONE" as your back ground. Maybe pick a color that is not so bright, after all, you want your singers to be in the limelight don't you?\

Next, Click on the Appearance Tab and under "Windows and Buttons" select "Windows Classic Style" Apply & Ok.

Next, click on System Properties from the Control Panel, click on the Advanced Tab then under Performance select Settings button. Check the "ADJUST FOR BEST PERFORMANCE" option, apply & ok.

2. Virtual Memory: As you have over 512 Megs of ram, try disabling the virtual memory. This way windows won't try to write to the HDD you are trying to access from stuff that, for all intents and purposes, should stay in ram. For more information on Virtual Memory See Here (http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/expertzone/columns/mcfedries/03june16.asp)

Virtual memory can slow your system down. I would feel more comfortable suggesting this if you had 1gig like gduns recommended (I'm with you gduns!). Also, if you are going to defrag, make sure that you move your virtual memory (if you keep it installed) to the outer rim of the HDD... I don't know if there is a free application or a windows tool that will perform this other than Norton. The outside rim of the HDD is the fastest accessed. I have seen some recommendations to disable the virtual memory prior to defragging as well.

3. Last but not least, try some other memory tricks from this site HERE (http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/memory-winxp/index.shtml) This information is all about tweaking your memory. I know that when some people hear the word "TWEAK" they get nervous, sometimes Bill over at Microsoft doesn't have your best interests at hand, he is thinking of Bubba down in the swamps who just plays solitaire (No offense to anyone really named Bubba :g ) While you are on this site, check out the section on Windows Services... Have you ever seen how much unnecessary crap is running that you wouldn't need? Be careful to remember and log what you do so you can undo it. IF you are used to the system restore, set a restore point before you start futzing around.

I just want to give you suggestions that may help you over this hurdle, as I think all of us do. Let us know if this helps.

George: I don't disagree with you, I have just noticed that it is often many days after a post that several people have started to help on that MTU gets around to it... I wasn't saying that they don't, but that just like you and me find a new post that has 10 replies and we want to see what all the hubbub is about.

Oh yeah, and if you think I am longwinded in writing, you should hear me talk! :g

gduns - with the Lord
August 27th, 2003, 08:23 AM
Wayne,
Fwiw, Last night I opened up hoster, mdb2000, access, excel, and media player. I started playing a song in hoster, thenstarted a song in media player, and played them both at the same time all the way through. A month ago I would have said this was impossible. But now it works. Last friday evening I did a complete (4 Hr) show with hoster, mdb2000, and media player all open. I had no problems with switching between them. I always leave the add hd track window open, I just move it around the screen to keep it out of the way. (opening and closing this screen gives you audio drops.

Pcgumshoe,
I am going to try some of the tweaks on that article, especially the bios tweaks. The board Mfg manuals are severly lacking in information like this....... it sounds like I can improve a few things. altho, is nuthings broke don't fix it. Sorry Im a tinkerer. I have 5 machines on a network at home, if I screw up one i'll use another. Thanks, I find your post's very valuable. :g

George
August 27th, 2003, 08:34 AM
PCGUMSHOE,

It's not a matter of support "getting around to it" when other people are helping early on.

If other members are on top of a problem, frequently support will see no reason to post to the thread, or they will simply confirm that the solution offered is the correct one. It saves them time to operate in this manner.

In cases where the members are missing the mark, then it is necessary for support to step in and offer solutions. In most instances this accounts for any delay on support's part.

TO ANY NEW MEMBERS READING THIS:

Please bear in mind the more verbose the thread, the more material support has to wade through to see the problem, and frankly the more inclined some of us members are to simply skip the entire post. I can only speak for myself on that one.

I only took the time to answer so's new members won't get led into thinking they had to post a lot of filler to attract any attention to their problem. It can work the other way.

I might add also that too often we don't get enough pertinant info to diagnose a problem. Don't go to the other extreme and not give us and support enough to go on.

Take care,

George

admin
August 27th, 2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by pcgumshoe
See, now I won't be able to get my precious KPro 5 that will allow me to make karaoke songs with Duets. :r That's okay, I have waited this long, I will wait longer if it will get Wayne his answers :c
In the other part of your post... well said pcgumshoe, well said indeed! :w

I want to report that KPro 5.015 is in beta test now. There are some bugs that surfaced and our programmer is on top of this.

We are expecting to release KPro 5.0xx within several weeks. For the first time ever, I am willing to release with non-damaging bugs still present. We are working on the duet code and Export CDG File command now. Bugs prevent creating a professional song yet. We are almost at the end of the tunnel, not just seeing the light there.

Once we release KPro 5, we will shift major resources back to Hoster. However, getting a Hoster bug-fix release our sooner is asynchronous from releasing KPro 5.

MTUSUPPORT
August 27th, 2003, 10:21 AM
Wayne,
Do you have all of the Windows Updates installed? If not I would first try this to make sure there is not some update relating to either DirectX or Media Player. To be safe I would download all of the updates.

Let me know what you find.

Wayne White
August 27th, 2003, 10:42 AM
It seems that windows finds updates to install almost every time I connect to the internet, but, just prior to the last Hoster update, I pulled in & installed all of the available windows updates. I, as a general rule, click on the 'view new posts' button almost everyday & read all post pertaining to Hoster. As such, I was aware ahead of time that users were having install problems when they were not up to date.

Wayne

Garry A. Leslie
August 28th, 2003, 06:08 AM
Hello All,
Just a few thoughts.
Hoster will install but not run unless all the current XP updates are installed first.
I have had no problems with media player at all, and it was nice to find something of Microsoft's which ran smoothly first time, it has not always been my experience in the past.
I currently run a Plextor 16/10/40A which I would like to update, for my portable KJ system, to the new Plextor combo with DVD but as MTU don't recognise this drive yet there doesn't seem much point.
My DVD player is excellent with CDG's but is a bind to use with DVD's and VCD's, too long to find information!
Lastly George is partly right. I read all the posts in all the forums, long and short, found much good advice, things I wouldn't have thought of, tips and tricks. I wouldn't be using Sound Canvas or a Raid card without the good intentions of fellow MTU users.
Posts which are long are just as useful as brief ones if they make their points clearly and without ambiguity
I think that sometimes longer time users assume newer users don't have the know how and with the best intentions give too much help.
Regards from the UK
Garry

mlepine
August 28th, 2003, 09:19 AM
Garry,

Are you aware that your Plextor can also read VCD's?

I also have a DVD Player & it is in fact longer to read VCD's & DVD's so I now use my Plextor to read my CDG's & VCD's.

I personally don't have any DVD Karaoke so I don't use my DVD player very often.

Also, keep in mind that the new Plextor DVD Combo will only read your DVD at 12X versus 16X for most stand along DVD Player.

Regards

Garry A. Leslie
August 28th, 2003, 10:11 AM
mlepine

Raised my hopes
Tried a number of VCD's in my Plextor only to be told "No disc in drive"!
None of the VCD's were listed by Hoster in the database.
Guess they could be pirates, but I bought them from a reputable source and they do play in my stand alone DVD player and in the Toshiba DVD drive on my desktop, which also says it reads CDG's but doesn't.
MTU has a point in only using certified drives.
Incidentally, without wanting to re-open the CDG v DVD/VCD debate,
I only use these discs for hard to find numbers as I find the graphics are distracting and usually have nothing to do with the music.
Thanks anyway
Regards from the UK
Garry

gduns - with the Lord
August 28th, 2003, 10:37 AM
Garry,
Hoster doesn't support vcd's in any drive yet........ it is supposed to start doing that in the next version coming out. I would suppose that is why they dont have it in the database.

also if you put your vcd in the computer and look at the file Best I remember it is a video format file like a mpg or something...... probably why it hasnt been added yet. that is a totally diffrent technology. more code, bigger program, uses more memory, more possible bugs etc.

mlepine
August 28th, 2003, 10:48 AM
Garry,

I'm alsmost certain your Plextor can read VCD's but you will need another program to run your VCD's.

Windows Media Player Series 9 will do a good job but WinDVD will be a better choice, it has the Multiplex Fonction.(so has WMP but you need to adjust for each track)

I suggest you first insert a VCD in your Plextor than turn on Media Player and go to play option and you'll see the VCD that's in your Plextor drive.

Please, Let me know if it works

Regards

Garry A. Leslie
August 28th, 2003, 10:29 PM
Hello

mlepine
Tried a VCD in the Plextor again, with Windows XP, I used Windows ME last time.
You were right it reads the disc but can't play it, will try your other suggestions but will be away until Monday late so will let you know how it goes later in the week.
Cheers

gduns
Only mentioned the Hoster database because I noticed, when going through the disc brands, both VCD's and DVD's listed and thought that MTU had put them in their programme for use later, although you can't play them until the future update activates them.
Thanks for observations. I personally think these discs are more trouble than they're worth, although they are starting to be popular in the UK, mainly I think because they are a lot cheaper than CDG's here.

regards from the UK
Garry

admin
August 29th, 2003, 06:31 AM
I want to forewarn you that the next release, 2.015, will not have VCD-DVD support. This is an "interim" release to fix several bugs related to accessing and regenerating the songs.mdb database.

Please note... when you are importing tracks where you enter the Song name and Artist names, please DO NOT ever use the " (double quote) character. We have to use that to delineate a ' (single quote) character, and when a " is encountered, it will lock up the system. This is a very bad problem that our programmer has so far not been able to program around. We have now removed all " characters from our bucket.mdb database (will be available with 2.015), but we can't yet prevent you from entering the " when you import custom songs or edit what our database displays. We hope to start beta testing 2.015 today.

As soon as KPro 5 is released, we will shift Thomas, who is our lead programmer, back onto Hoster. There are a number of display bugs we will first fix, then we will try to replace our audio players with the Microsoft Media Player. That will allow playing VCD, DVD, MP3, WMA, and potentially more.

:e Those of you who have followed my Admin posts over the years know my dislike for MP3+G. However... it is now clear that there are a number of legal users (who buy all their discs) who have lots of these songs on their hard drive. Thus, we will try to add MP3+G play support. Also, by adding WMA and MP3 play support, we will expand Hoster's flexibility tremendously. That is part of our focus.

Oh yes... since VCD and DVD songs are already compressed (MPEG1 for VCD, MPEG2 for DVD) and contain massive video imaging also, we can't reduce the file sizes any from what is already on the discs. We will first provide playing from VCD and DVD discs, then later address importing songs to the hard drive. When imported, they will consume LOTS of storage, unlike our KMA files.

Plextor has announced their new DVD-R drive that is supposed to read/write the CDG format also. We haven't received our ordered drive yet. We will support this drive as soon as we can.

That's all for now. Thanks for waiting!

kedmison
August 30th, 2003, 03:43 PM
Not sure this is a hoster problem. But thought someone out there may have an answer. As soon as my Windows XP boots up, I am hearing a noise similiar to a needle at the end of a record where it would skip. No scratching noise, just a tap or ticking like noise. I hear it through the ear phones. And my fear is , is that if I can hear it through them, then it will be even more noticiable when hooked to my sound system. When I play a song in Hoster you no longer hear it but I assume it's still there. Normally when nothing is playing there is dead silence. This noise is prevalent even with nothing opened. Any thoughts. The only thing I have done since the last gig was down loaded current Window updates. Where do I start to look.

Thanks,

Kelly

George
August 30th, 2003, 04:14 PM
Kelly,

I may have trouble expressing what I'm thinking, but it sounds like the click that is sometimes heard when navigating on the websites, if it's a single tick. I wonder if when you boot up there is a program accessing the internet. Automatic updates, Media player, Norton, etc, etc, etc. Might explore those programs one at a time and turn off automatic internet access and see if it quits.

If it's a tick, tick, tick, I'd look for a voltage problem in the p.c. Something may be arcing.

Dunno if this even makes sense, just brainstorming.

Take care,

George

pcgumshoe
August 30th, 2003, 04:21 PM
Try turning off or down any unnecessary audio components (line in, CD, Mic) if these things are turned on, sometimes their levels are too high and can cause what you are talking about, best starting point is to try and mute the ones you don't need.

kedmison
August 30th, 2003, 04:29 PM
George thanks for your suggestion but no internet connections. Any and all internet updates turned off. Did do Window updates today. Tried to restore setting before today but then will not allow Microstudio to run which was upgraded Monday. Doesn't make sense. So re-restored and Micro works fine. The ticking sound is prevelant on ac or on battery. Upgraded media player to ver. 9 today also. Think that may be a possibility but not sure how to undo that one. Just looked and computer is not recognizing back up drive (d) again either. I'll keep scratching.

Thanks,

Kelly

George
August 30th, 2003, 04:56 PM
What p.c gumshoe says makes sense. It reminded me of a problem we were having at our church with the Priest's lavaleir mike. Kept intermittantly giving a pop, pop, pop. I noticed the led rf indicator in the back room showing this visibly, turned down the rf control...gone was the problem.

George

pcgumshoe
August 30th, 2003, 05:04 PM
It is especially present when one is using an "On-Board" sound card.... Sound Blaster is pretty good in their install about pre-setting the limits, but others aren't... However, on a Sound Blaster Card, it is still possible... Thanks George, here's hopin' Kelly can solve this :w

kedmison
August 30th, 2003, 05:13 PM
It's almost like a "pulse" sound. I thought it was my heart beat at first listening through the ear plugs. Don't have it hooked to my sound system so it's all related to a computer promlem. Was able to restore prior to Media Player 9. Right now can't find media player anywhere on laptop. So that wasn't apprarently the problem. D drive is now showing again also. (back up drive) Have to leave in about 15 min to do a gig. Just hope the "pulse" isn't to noticable on the system. May have to mute until each song starts. Let you all know how it goes. Thanks again and hope everyone has a safe and happy Labor Day weekend.

Kelly:r

Wayne White
August 30th, 2003, 09:08 PM
Not sure if this is the same problem, but, in some clubs we get this almost helicopter noise as soon as the PC boots up. A ground lift on the PC alone will usually solve it. If it doesn't, plug everything into 1 power strip & put a ground lift on it.

If you have a battery in your PC, you can unplug the PC & see whether the noise goes away, which would confirm the problem has to do with the electrical source grounding.

Wayne

bubba1453
August 31st, 2003, 11:22 AM
Wayne,

We constantly do Karaoke and DJ at the same time. Did a party last night and did shows all summer, running Hoster and BPM Studio (MP3 DJ System Software) at the same time. Would minimze one program when the other was not being used. What we do is all our music is on a Western Digital 120 Gigabit External Hard drive ( 20,000 songs ). The Karaoke songs are on the Dell Laptop Hard drive 40 Gigabit ( 5000 songs ). 2.4 Gigh, 516 Ram.
I know a KJ/DJ in Modesto Cal that uses two 120 gig external Hard drives. Karaoke-30,000 songs on one and DJ-50,000 songs on the other hard drive. Never any problems. Maybe this will work for you.

Bob stevens
Toledo, Ohio

bubba1453
September 1st, 2003, 12:32 PM
Wayne,

I posted a reply, but I think it was in the wrong place. Your problem is not with Hoster. Our setup in Toledo, Ohio is with Dell 2.4 Gigh, 516 ram. Programs utilized for all shows ( kj and kj/Dj ) are Hoster and BPM Studio by ALCATech, Professional MP3 Dj system. We do not use Windows Media Player. We put only Karaoke on the laptop hard drive ( 40 gig, 5000 Songs ) and the Music is on a Western Digital External Hard Drive ( 120 gig, 20,000 songs ) Run both programs at the same time with no problems. My DJ's were worried if we ran both that the computer would crash. Did a outside party Aug 2 for 9 hours, both programs and no crash. Thought I would share this with you, sorry your having a problem

Bob

pcgumshoe
September 1st, 2003, 03:03 PM
I think what "Bubba" is trying to point out is that sometimes there can be issues if the computer attempts to access to different spaces on a hard drive... By having his DJ MP3s on one drive and his Karaoke on another, switching between programs doesn't cause the system to make multiple reads to the same drive.... Is worth a shot.... I would make sure that all HDDs are 7200 RPM at least and that you have your maximum DMA set (now I think some systems go up to 166?)

Wayne White
September 1st, 2003, 08:52 PM
I can try using a different drive, but, really (other than the speed) don't see the point. We are not trying to play both softwares at the same time, just have them open.

The Media Player problem even exists when Hoster is closed. Thats why I thought the Hoster install may have messed something up. This problem started after I installed the 2.x version of Hoster that came on a CD. I installed every available windows upgrade just before upgrading Hoster. One of these actions (I believe) caused this problem.

I am carefully reviewing all of my settings to be sure it's not something I'm overlooking. It was suggested earlier that my IRQ settings may need changed. Well, guess what? The Modem (which I never use), the sound card & the Radeon M6 video card do all use the same IRQ. Only probelm is, I don't think this laptop will let me change these settings. The laptop having a problem is a HP Pavailion ze5170.

I appreciate everyones suggestions. It appears that everyone else has resolved this problem one way or another, but me.

Wayne

pcgumshoe
September 2nd, 2003, 05:43 AM
Except for Wayne's Post, aren't we off topic?

Wayne, you should be able to change the IRQ... also, I would look at some of the suggestions I made to get rid of all the unnecessary fluff in windows Xp.

gduns - with the Lord
September 2nd, 2003, 07:51 AM
is it possible that you have too many things on the same irq and are trying to access it at the same time? Is it possible that you have a sound (in system sounds) activated that is causing ticking. We recently had a problem with the wife's computer and she had all kinds of weird sounds coming up for diffrent things and they were using so much procesor time the sound card was going nuts.

Sax&Dotty
November 20th, 2003, 06:36 AM
Please note... when you are importing tracks where you enter the Song name and Artist names, please DO NOT ever use the " (double quote) character. We have to use that to delineate a ' (single quote) character, and when a " is encountered, it will lock up the system.

Using quotes in sql is simple so long as U know where U is is at with it

Sample

where (((ArtistName)Like '*Nat*')) AND (((ArtistName)Like '*"King"*')) And (((ArtistName)Like '*Cole*'))

Just watching :w