PDA

View Full Version : What programmes do KJ's use on their portable Hoster machines?

Garry A. Leslie
August 24th, 2003, 03:19 PM
Hello All out there,
Further to previous threads posted
I now have my home built portable PC up and running and have installed the Hoster programme on it.
Its got a Nvidia Geoforce motherboard, 2x 256MB sticks of memory for the dual display, an AMD XP2600 CPU with Barton architecture, 2x 80GB hard disks, one running from the PCI Raid card (Thanks Flip for putting me on to this), XP Pro and a Plextor CD drive.
I have an Audigy sound card but didn't fit it, at present I am quite happy with the motherboard's built in card, maybe in the future.
All apparently running smoothly.
Haven't used it at a Gig yet mainly because I'm chicken of anything going wrong and I haven't put all my CDG disks into the database yet, only the most popular ones.
I wonder if other portable PC or laptop users use only Hoster on their systems when they are KJing or whether they feel they need to use other programmes, i.e. the Microstudio Suite, Office, Word, etc.
Your thoughts please as I know how quickly hard drives get filled, however large they are, and the chance of conflicts and crashes the more programmes you use on them
What is the best way to use the system?
Regards from the UK
Garry

kedmison
August 24th, 2003, 06:44 PM
Gary,

I use my MTU Laptop/ Hoster just for gigs. I use my home desk top for everything else. However I do have select files on my laptop for using Word, Excel (which is what I use for looking up my songs. It's easier for me than the Hoster data base. I also use Norton. Also have Microstudio and use Media player when I want to play some regular music. I have 2- 60 gig hard drives. (one for back up). Have recorded most of my music at 96k commpression. I use a full Mackie system, Powered speakers, sub woofer and mixer. I now have over 6,000 songs, (no dupes) and still have 23.5 gig left for more music. Sometime next year I will probably upgrade with larger hard drives. I know the feeling of being scared the first time out with a computer rather than discs. But, nothing ventured nothing gained. Haven't had to use the back up drive yet (knock on wood). Good luck.

Kelly

gduns - with the Lord
August 25th, 2003, 07:46 AM
I am running a gig of ram. The only program I will not install is roxio cd creator. I have oak (i think it is nero cd software on the computer) but I turn it off in the system tray unless i need it. I also have the mtu suite 4 installed and no conflicts. I use windows media player for music. and mdb2000 for quick lookups. hope this helps

BillVarner
August 27th, 2003, 03:49 AM
I use Ots DJ for dance music. I feel it is the best thing out there jsut like Hosteer is the best Karaoke.