PDA

View Full Version : Error Message

ROBERT A ROGAN
July 31st, 2003, 11:23 PM
I Have Nearly installed all my CDG onto Holster.But when I go into play list and make a selection for playing and press play I am receiving an Error Message which I have to submit to Microsoft,at the moment I am unable to use my machine. Any Thoughts
Bob Rogan

gduns - with the Lord
August 1st, 2003, 07:55 AM
I was having this problem, and it doesnt seem that it has a solution. They claim it is in my song database file, but That isnt posssible. If it is locking up during a search by artist or by song, and you were using the arrow keys. Then dont use them. That is what I was finding as a problem. Only use your mouse for input on the add hd screen. (don't use the up and down arrow keys.) Hope this helps!:g

ROBERT A ROGAN
August 3rd, 2003, 01:49 PM
Gduns, Thank`s for your comments but all I use is my mouse,It`s just every time I pick play list I am receiving this errer message and the when I send this message my program ie Holster Shuts down.
Bob

Beavis
August 3rd, 2003, 08:18 PM
do you have all the windows updates ?

ROBERT A ROGAN
August 3rd, 2003, 10:45 PM
Every time I am Notified of Updates I have collected them, All the failure that I am getting say`s Hoster Application has encounted a problem and needs to shut down. And notify Microsoft Which Im Doing every time
Bob

pcgumshoe
August 4th, 2003, 05:32 AM
How many disks did you back-up to hoster? Did you ever preview any of the disks? Did you back the Disks up on one PC or did you go from PC to PC?

What steps DO you get through? You can open the program. You can get to the play list. Once in the playlist tab, can you select "NEW" If so, can you see your songs? Are they all there? What directory do you have your songs in versus what directory do you have Hoster installed in?

If you can get to the Play list, can you add tracks? After you add tracks, you press play and it doesn't work or crashes?

What compression did you use when importing the songs? What other settings?

Just some questions to start sorting this out. I hope MTU doesn't mind me being so nosey. I really like to help and I don't want to step on any toes. This is fun. Since I bought a bar, I haven't been able to do this. As my name indicates, I love snooping around PCs and their problems.

Beavis
August 4th, 2003, 07:17 AM
sometimes you have to go to the indows update to make sure you have them all.

its a good idea to go check manually !

gduns - with the Lord
August 4th, 2003, 07:42 AM
I have found that hoster is 10 times as fast and seems to work better if you run it in the windows 2000 compatibility mode. Dont know why but it seems to work much better.

Beavis
August 4th, 2003, 10:06 AM
are you talking about windows xp in windows 2000 comp. mode ?

if so, how do you do this ?

gduns - with the Lord
August 4th, 2003, 10:22 AM
Right click on the hoster icon on the Desktop, and pick properties. it lets you pick which emulation you would like to use. You can go all the way back to win 98.:g

ROBERT A ROGAN
August 6th, 2003, 10:43 AM
To Gumshoe and all who are Helping,I have loaded nearly 200 CDG. In play list I can Select any amount of songs and the screen shows "ready" When I press the play button the error message appears I send the message to Microsoft and the the program ie Hoster closes. The Compression is 128. May I say that it worked for a short while when I first stated using it in doors. All imputs are from CDG to PC Many thanks Bob

gduns - with the Lord
August 6th, 2003, 10:53 AM
It could be a driver or other background program that is running. having a conflict with Hoster. Try creating a new playlist and only put one song in it, then try to play it. They told me it was my database, but I think that was a cop out answer meaning they didnt really know. As a last resort uninstall & Reinstall hoster, the rebuild your database. Personally I use either 64 or 96 kb for loading songs I couldnt see any improvement in quality over the 128 or higher setting. So it didnt make sense to waste disk space. I hope this helps.

pcgumshoe
August 6th, 2003, 01:44 PM
But, I would check this out. From your "START" menu, click "RUN" type in "DXDIAG" when that screen comes up, select the "SOUND" tab and confirm that you acceleration is basic or below. I know that with many of the MTU products they don't work well with much if any acceleration. I know that I play games on my PCs where I have MTU products and I am constantly switching back and forth between the two.

Make sure that you have the current drivers for your sound card. What type of card is it? Do you use windows automatic update? Have you updated any drivers lately? How about you DirectX? What version are you on? (you will be able to tell on the system page when you run dxdiag).

What version of Hoster are you using? Make sure that it is the most current. (I think 2.014 is the most current, click help in Hoster and then about for the version)

Do you have a virus check program or anything else running in the system tray? gduns may have a good point about something conflicting. What else do you use this system for? Is this windows XP pro or Home?

How old is the PC? Which ASPI drivers are you using? Have you ever used NERO on this PC. (gosh this seems to be common to my inquiries).

As far as the compression, I use the least I can because HDDs are so inexpensive these days and through my system, I can sometimes notice slight differences between various compression levels (keep in mind that I have 1400 Watts to two mains and another 500 watts to subs and monitors. Our line levels are +4dB, not the typical -10dB associated with home systems. I have over 560 CDG (new disks every week) and I am more than willing to make the investment

Flipeoke
August 6th, 2003, 05:13 PM
Make sure your second monitor is plugged in when you start your computer. If Hoster is running in dual display mode and doesn't see the second monitor, this could be the cause of your error messages. At least I think this may be the case. I remember having the same problem awhile back, and think this was what was causing it on my system.

Also make sure you have updated to the latest drivers for your video card. You might also double check your system bios and see if there is a flash update for it. Have you recently upgraded to XP or did your system come preinstalled with it?

Just throwin out some ideas...

Flip

ROBERT A ROGAN
August 7th, 2003, 02:53 AM
PCGUMSHOE,Checked for sound as you stated and found it was at max, reduced the sound level to basic,carried out the test`s and! now I have a continious high pitched sound on my PC.Which I can`t Get rid of. How do I get Rid Of It?Bob

ROBERT A ROGAN
August 7th, 2003, 03:48 AM
To all Who have Helped,Have overcome the problem on my play list problem, many thanks, any advice on my previous question,as I have this high pitched sound driving me mad.Bob

pcgumshoe
August 7th, 2003, 04:09 AM
So now your playlist works and you have a high pitch sound from your sound card... All the time?

First a couple of things to do. Turn off or mute some of the unnecessary channels... CD, LINE, INPUT.... some of these tend to be open when you are not using them and can cause a hiss or other sound. Once you have done that, confirm you audio drivers and your directx and everything else is up to date.

Are you plugging you system through a P.A. and that is causing this high pitch sound? I do notice on my PC here at the bar, that when I am in Basis mode, I get a high pitched sound in my headphones... I will experiment and get back to you.

pcgumshoe
August 7th, 2003, 04:18 AM
When you go into DirectX, what version are you using? 8.1? 9.0a? 9.0b?

What happens when you turn accelleration off completely and what happens when you turn in up one notch above basic?

How loud is this sound? You might want to make sure that your output volumn is not MAXED out... turn it down to 75% or 85%.

Would you tell us what it was that fixed your problems so that you could play your songs? That way we can know what worked and what didn't for future and for those who might have the problem as well.