PDA

View Full Version : dropouts and double starts in 2.014

mindonstrike
July 11th, 2003, 06:37 AM
I put off upgrading from 2.011 to 2.014 (although "about hoster" tells me it's 2.013) because I hadn't any problems but then a few showed up so I upgraded. Played with it at home with no noticeble problems but took it to work that night and at the end of the very first song the screen went black, I closed the playlist in the task bar and got my desktop back, started hoster again and had the very same problem so I rebooted and that took care of that but the rest of the night and the following night I had several dropouts and double starts. I didn't keep count but probably in the 4 to 5 times each problem each night. Last night I went back to 2.011 and had 3 double starts and no dropouts.

Athlon 2500
2x 512mb Corsair
2x 80gb Maxtor
XP Pro w SVC Pack1
External Soundblaster
Nothing else on computer just Hoster
and 30gb of kma files

Sam

mindonstrike
July 15th, 2003, 02:25 PM
I was mistaken.
"about hoster" does say 2.014, It's the file name in windows that calls it 2.013.

I'm using someones suggestion to leave the add song window open and seems to eliminate most droputs (and actually more convenient), though I still get an occasional when I change tabs in that window.
I've noticed that the double start problem is not random. The same songs seem to double start everytime. I am going to reimport those songs and see if that fixes it, if it does I'll just have to note any songs that do it in the future so they can be reimported as well (assuming reimporting does the job).

Just a side note: On my computer 2.014 seems to have fixed the "bug" that permitted a work around to import the last track from multisession cd's. I'm glad I kept a copy of 2.011.

Wayne White
July 16th, 2003, 12:17 PM
I have noticed less skips in 2.014 than the prior version, but they are still happening. This does not just happen when you are clicking tabs. I've seen it happen when the KJ is not even standing by the computer.

I never noticed any double starts in the prior version, but, noticed one last night. Maybe it is the recording (as mindonstrike says). I'll have to try playing the same song again (on all 3 computers) and see whether it always does it.

I think the static at the start of some songs has been fixed.

Also, last week someone brought in a Custom CDG made by EatSleepMusic.com and asked to sing the last song on it. I put it in CD ROM drive and when Hoster tried to buffer it onto the HD, it stop reading after awhile & the reading screen stayed on the screen. I opened the CD ROM drive & got the 'unable to read sectors XXXX etc'. No time was filled in beside the song in the playlist, but, it said ready. The song played fine, but, I had to stop it at the end & go to the next song because of the remaining time left after the song completed playing.

Wayne

kedmison
July 16th, 2003, 01:30 PM
Wayne,

I have had maybe 6 skips in the last 6 months but everyone I was able to trace back to the original recording into Hoster. Once I re-recorded there was no further problem. I have the MTU laptop and Hoster with 1 gig ram. The ONLY problem I have had is when typing in the next song selection it seems it takes longer for it to register than it should with 1 gig of memory. The only other thing I have in the background is my excell song book. I am hoping with the new upgrade that the delay should quit.

Kelly

kedmison
July 16th, 2003, 01:33 PM
Wayne,

One other thing; the only problem I have had in playing other people's discs, is that my CDG player in my laptop does not play scratched discs near as well as my drive at home.

Kelly

mindonstrike
July 16th, 2003, 02:05 PM
Reimporting the offending songs seems to fix it. It must have been something that occured during the original importation. Maybe importing with 2.014 will eliminate the problem, in the mean time I've got 6000 other potential double starts to watch for and fix as they crop up. The math is kind of scary, out of about 50 songs played a night about 5 have had double starts. If 10% of all my songs have this problem I may be finding and fixing these for a long time.

I own a couple of custom cdg's from ESM and yes they are multi-session so that last track may be a pain in the backside.

MTUSUPPORT
July 17th, 2003, 04:21 PM
Guys/Gals,
This Double Start was a bug that was in the import. This was fixed in Hoster 2.013. If you got 2.013, you may as well upgrade to 2.014.

Most only got 2.014 instead of 2.013.