PDA

View Full Version : SetDisplayMode:Failed

songsmith
February 4th, 2001, 05:43 PM
I used the trial version of Microstudio and it seemed to work fine. To my disappointment when I purchased the Full version of the program I got an error message :SetDisplayMode:Failed When I changed display modes I got a new error message SetCooperativeLevel FAILED. is there something I can do to make the program run properly?
I have a Pentuim 200, 64 meg of ram and a 1 MB Video Card. As I mentioned... the trial version worked fine. I am confused. I await any sudgestions.

[Edited by songsmith on 02-04-2001 at 05:50 PM]

GordonF
February 5th, 2001, 03:13 PM
I recall the Admin saying they revamped Microstudio to use DirectX and a full screen display when playing CD+G tracks. Microstudio 2.1.0.3 (which is way my help/about says) uses this. Among other things, I understand they tested this on a Win95 machine with DirectX 1 (!) since, after all, the graphics are on such a basic level anyway.

ADMIN EDIT: I was wrong! :e We tested under Direct Draw 1.0, but we still require Direct-X 7.0a for playing.

If "SetDisplayMode" (a DX function) is failing on your system you probably don't have a video driver set that supports DirectX or at least one display mode Microstudio's calling. The cheapest 1 MB video cards I recall that supported DX1 fully were based on ATI's Mach64 chip. The old Trident / Cirrus Logic cards might not work.

The previous (trial) version did not use a full screen display and glitched out sometimes (the graphics would freeze while the music still played). They seem to have fixed that by going to a full screen display.

So either get a driver set for your card that fully supports DirectX (or use the driver set that comes with DirectX if it still comes with drivers) or replace the video card with something more modern.

admin
February 5th, 2001, 03:35 PM
songsmith, read the Problems and Solutions Thread in this forum and follow all the instructions. I concur with GordonF, it sounds like you don't have the right DirectX version 7.0a or 8.0. This is required. We tested Microstudio V2.103 on a 1MB video card with no graphics acceleration and it ran perfect, even with 6 songs that would crash or lock-up V2.013.

GordonF
February 9th, 2001, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by admin
We tested Microstudio V2.103 on a 1MB video card with no graphics acceleration and it ran perfect, even with 6 songs that would crash or lock-up V2.013.
Who made that video card, anyway? What model was it?

Thanks for the heroic effort in dumbing down Microstudio too. There's nothing quite like having to install a (comparably) small software package that requires you to install IE5 or some other monsterous subsystem whose total functionality is not likely to ever get used. Kinda like installing Office 2000 if all you need is basic word processing.

admin
February 10th, 2001, 12:53 PM
MTUSUPPORT EDIT: The video card was a ATI 1mb PCI board with the Mach64 GT chipset.

It was a Worst Case Test we did using 6 CDG songs that were sent to us that crashed or locked Microstudio 2.0 up. This was also on a 166MHz Pentium!

We really are trying to dumb it down, but Microsoft and Adaptec make that really difficult for Microstudio (it has to talk to hardware). This is THE reason we made Karaoke Home Producer, Vogone I and KeyRite stand-alone and not embedded within Microstudio. They require almost nothing to install.

songsmith
February 12th, 2001, 04:33 AM
Well I upgraded to DirectX 8 and still no luck. I also upgraded to a 4MB Video card for my PC but no luck. ( I could only find a 4 meg PCI video card) Diamond Stealth II. Thanks for the posts replying to my concerns. I will keep trying all or any new sudgestions.

MTUSUPPORT
February 13th, 2001, 10:41 AM
Songsmith,
Please do the following and send it to me please:

1) Click the Start Menu / Find / Files or Folders

2) Type in the file name DXDIAG.exe

3) Select the C:\ drive for the Look In folder If this file is found, double click it

4) Double click this file to open the DirectX diagnostic tool

5) Click the Save All Information button at the bottom.

6) Save it in the following format: (Your Name Dxdiag.txt) this way I know who the file is from.

7) Email this file to support@mtu.com.

MTUSUPPORT
February 15th, 2001, 10:17 AM
There is one thing that I have seen from your Dxdiag data. You might try changing the color depth from 32 bit to 16 bit to see if this makes a difference.

Here is how to do this:

1) Left Click the Start menu
2) Click on Settings
3) Click Control Panel
4) Double click on Display
5) Click the Settings tab
6) Click the pull down menu under Colors
7) Change it from 32 bit to 16 bit
8) Click Ok
9) Select the button that says save changes without restarting and the changes will take effect immediately

Then try Microstudio and let me know how that does.

Thanks,

songsmith
February 15th, 2001, 05:15 PM
Sorry, I've tried every possible combination of settings for the display with the same results... background color only.. no words, no highlighting, music plays... file ends, it exits full screen mode and returns to Windows.