PDA

View Full Version : Save To Folder

pcgumshoe
June 17th, 2003, 06:34 PM
Okay, first post... I'm sure I am going to screw this up. Took a while to get Hoster, had everything else though and believe firmly in the company. I have noticed several things that may have been covered heretofore, but I will ask them anyway.

As far as my computer, skills and background, started on XT, no not XP, XT and have built them since. I have multiple systems and my problems occur on the two I have tried this program on.

Save to Folder: I can't seem to assign a folder. I click on the folder and I just get the root directory to save in. I try to change the folder in the import tracks tab and cannot. I import songs fine and dandy, but they do end up in the root directory.

Running the Database program: I click on this and I get an error "Cannot find file D:\Hoster\Databases\hprint.exe" I really am not yet concerned about this, probably because it may have to do with I don't have but 2 or 3 discs installed in both machines while I sort the above problem out, however if I still should be seeing something, here is a potential problem (I have hoster on a separate hard drive so that I can take the hard drive with me where ever I end up)

That brings me to a question, I own a bar (base of operations) where I will be hosting, I have been asked to do shows elsewhere on other nights and want to take my HDD to a different machine in a removable drive, seems that if all the data is contained in the HDD this should be okay, any thoughts?

Data Compression: I use the 192k for the best sound quality, but the Normalization process eludes me... I have several CDs that are dynamically different than the next, comparing the tracks on the same CD will yield little difference, comparing CD to CD can cause the audience to jump out of their seats - Thanks 1400 Watts plus 1000 Watt to the SUBs :)

Also, On the Compression/Limiter side, I use a compressor and limiter for my vocals, I have a minor understanding of how they work, in the manual it says that there are some presets when you use them, however the sliders are all at "0" when I use them, should I reset them to the defaults listed in the manual to attain what I want?

Of course, I too am experiencing troubles with the Database, especially the Pocket Songs two disc sets where the second disc has no vocals, won't worry too much about that.

That's a good start I think, as usual accolades to MTU.

Flipeoke
June 17th, 2003, 07:59 PM
Well, a few problems here:

For selecting folders: (assuming you are using drive D:)

Click "Save to folder" button.
Should open up a windows where you can select your folder, if nothing shows up, perhaps you don't have any folders in the root directory, if this is the case click on the second folder icon from the right at the top of this window. This will allow you to create a new folder to save to.

As far as the Hprint error:
Not too sure, however, I believe it uses your print drivers of your attached printer to determine formatting, so if you don't have a printer attached, it might not work properly. I'm just guessing here, throwing out ideas...

Hoster security relies on your ethernet card (Network adapter), so unless you transfer your card from one machine to another you will not be able to use it on multiple machines. If you use a PCMCIA card or a USB network adapter, it shouldn't be too much trouble switching from one computer to another. However if when you registered it, you selected an internal network card, you will have problems as you will have to switch the internal card each time you want to use a different machine.

As far as normilization/compressor/limiter, I have never used it, as I'm always adjusting the mixer settings anyway from singer to singer, so to adjust the volume doesn't matter to me too much, however, If you set the settings to the defaults listed in the manual it should give good results I imagine.

If you are using an EXTERNAL compressor/limiter for your singers, you could run your entire mix throught it between you mixer and amp, and it should give similar results. This way you can just import your songs and have the compressor/limitered (internal to hoster) disabled. (Which will save time when importing songs)

MTU is working on the database and a process to submit database changes on the web, so that will be forthcoming...

Hope this helps out...

Flip (a.k.a. Mike)

mindonstrike
June 18th, 2003, 05:38 AM
I too am having the same problem. There are several folders on my root drive including program files\micro technology unlimited\ etc etc.

The box will come up to select the folder but it won't put your selection in the import track -save to folder "spot" (for lack of an official technical term). I havn't been too concerned because I'm still in the playing around with it mode and figured I'd done something incorrectly but gumshoes post rings a bell with me.

pcgumshoe
June 18th, 2003, 12:33 PM
Yes, there seems to be some problem with the Save to feature... and as I said, I too am still just playing around with it. I guess if I can just cut and paste the KMA files to the eventual location "d:\karaoke discs" I will be fine.

As far as the moving from computer to computer, I do have a USB ethernet card and I am using that, so the legalities behind the copy are secured and the functionality also are fine. My concern is more the mobility of the Hard Drive.

As to the Singers and the compressor/limiter, of course I still make adjustments to each singer women vs men have separate reception even in good micrphones. I don't compress/limit "whole mixes" because that would give me a generic sound, each singer has their own technique and I try to cater to that (after all, my show caters to the upper 25% of karaoke singers, not rejecting the lower 75%, people who come to my bar are exceptional! 4 American Idol contestants, Kim from Miss Saigon on Broadway has performed and our local theater cast often shows up).

What I am more concerned with is the extreme dynamics between two CDs and sometime two songs on a CD. For example, there is a song on the Aida Disc by Pocket Songs "Easy as Life" if I sing "Music of The Night" on the Pocket Songs CD and then pop in the other, "Music of The Night" is so low that I have the mixer turned up beyond 0dB, when I play "Easy as Life" the audience (and the neighborhood) jumps and complains... it is SO LOUD.

I was brought into the loop of karaoke through this very complaint and I felt that I could help host solve this problem, yes there is compression and limiting, but I would like to prempt most of it in the copy to hard drive phase.

Thanks again.

pcgumshoe
June 18th, 2003, 01:39 PM
As far as the print thing, you may have a good point there on the printer connected. There are drivers in all my machines, however we share a printer through my networks. The printer isn't "PHYSICALLY" attached to the computers in question. I will give that a shot when I have the time.

On the Save To feature, I can pick different drives (C or D) but no matter what I do, create new folder, select folder that is already there, when I get back to the Input Selections tab, I only have the root directory listed. I try to type the folder into the screen that shows the where the files will be saved and no luck there.

On again to Compressors/Limitors, I recommend using a compressor as and insert and having at least two mics compressed... During a show, I am known to adjust compression from singer to singer, and if you have a duet, often times one singer is less experienced than the other and may tend to need more compression. Ideally, all mic channels should be individually compressed. I have learned the valuable lesson of compression as well as it enhancement qualities. Compression is MY FRIEND!

Thanks Flip and Mindonstrike

pcgumshoe
June 26th, 2003, 05:13 AM
Still wondering.... as above. Thanks