PDA

View Full Version : InstallShield error

dpreeves
June 4th, 2003, 04:55 PM
Am attempting to install Hoster on desktop. Application has downloaded fine. Have installed ethernet usb, and is recognized ok. InstallShield wizard comes up, Hoster splash screen comes up, InstallShield states it is preparing to install, then error window comes up that says install has encountered a problem and needs to close. Have uninstalled Hoster demo, and re-installed application. PC is a Gateway 1.4gz P4, 512mb mem, WIndows XP upgrade from Me. All latest drivers, DirectX are installed, no other programs running. Any help is appreciated.

tnrsound
June 5th, 2003, 03:39 AM
Well I would first make sure that the service pack 1 for windows is installed. This is what happened with mine and it definetely was the fix. That't just what I went through.

Tim

dpreeves
June 5th, 2003, 07:11 AM
Tim, got through with that a little while ago, going to defragment and optimize, then attempt a reinstall. Hopefully it will fix. Stay tuned... thanks for the reply. DR

MTUSUPPORT
June 5th, 2003, 09:15 AM
Danny,
I had emailed you yesterday telling you to do all the updates to Windows. How did that work? Did this fix this problem that you were having?

Beavis
June 5th, 2003, 09:22 AM
i am up and running without the microsoft service pack 1

dpreeves
June 5th, 2003, 09:48 AM
Bryan, I have installed every update I can find for XP, cleaned up hard drive, ran antivirus, uninstalled Hoster application, removed unused programs. I am waiting to get the link reactivated to try another download. I will not be able to do it till tonight. Will advise, thanks. Danny

Beavis, I am also up and running on my laptop, but my problems are on my desktop. Ethernet, all programs are identical, just can't get the InstallShield to work right.

MTUSUPPORT
June 5th, 2003, 10:14 AM
Beavis,
You don't have SP 1? Wow, I have not seen a system yet it would run under without that installed. Also, are you running 2.0 or just 1.208 still? This could be the reason, if you haven't upgraded to 2.0 then you will need to do the Windows Updates beofre you go up to 2.0.

dpreeves
June 5th, 2003, 10:46 AM
Bryan, This is a new installation, no previous versions of Hoster involved. I upgraded Me to XP 2 years ago, and have never had an installation issue, and updates automatically install.... but you learn something new.... When I get the link reactivated, download and install, I will advise, hopefully it will do the trick.
Thanks

mlepine
June 5th, 2003, 11:35 AM
dpreeves,

you might want to disable your antivirus during the installation?
It could be in conflict...

When you updated to XP did you install with FAT 32 or the NTFS?

If you choose the FAT 32 option your not running the stable NT platform.
The best way to upgrade to XP is to Format the drive and install from scratch, you'll see how stable it could be. (You'll need a cd of a previous Windows version)

Good Luck

mlepine
June 5th, 2003, 11:48 AM
Forgot to mention,

Auto updates will only update the security patch not the drivers, Direct X...
You need to go to the Windows Update site and let Windows do a search of what you need.

You'll have no problem if you select everything, what you don't need will not affect your system.

Regards

Beavis
June 5th, 2003, 07:57 PM
im running 2.0...................no service pack1

every other microsoft update is on the desktop !

dpreeves
June 5th, 2003, 09:18 PM
mlepine, (and to all who offered help) Doesn't the simplest answer always seem to work? Even running on the FAT32, disabling the Norton AV did the trick. Just disabled in msconfig, restarted, installed, and up and running. Thanks to all for the help. DR

George
June 5th, 2003, 09:54 PM
Regarding FAT 32 vs NTFS there may be a downside to switching to NTFS. Back about the first of the year I asked my pc guru if I should switch from FAT32 to NTFS since I was using a 40gb hard drive. I had read about the stability bit.

His reply was an emphatic NO. He then went on to explain to me that in the event of a crash, there were many file repairs that he could do with FAT32 to avoid a total re-formatting that were not possible with NTFS.

There may be contradictory opinions from other pc techs, but I think it behooves one not to arbitrarily recommend switching to a file system that cannot be reversed without being fully equipped with all the facts.

I don't believe anyone can tell another person they are not running a stable platform. Nor does anyone have the right to plant that seed of disatisfaction in another's mind. They should know how their own p.c. is performing.

I run XPHOME upgrade from 98SE. ADMIN cringes at the thought of that, yet I experience very few of the glitches I see all over these forums, and am usually running trouble free in all the beta testing we do unless it's an across the board bug. My pc guru told me it's the luck of the draw. No one shoe fits all.

Goes back to the old "if it don't be broke, don't try to fix it".

Regarding Microsoft automatic updates, it also is wise not to take everything that comes down the pipes. There are updates other than security related ones. You'd see that if you didn't take the auto update download/install route. Best to screen them and install the security related ones but use caution on many of the others. I personally do not use automatic download and install. I do it manually.

George

mlepine
June 6th, 2003, 10:23 AM
dpreeves,

glad you fixed your problem. Thru, the simples answer always work and I had in mind to only recommend to disable your antivirus but I couldn't resist giving my opinion on the NT platform.

I will try to clarify my opinion;
When you upgrade to XP you are givin the option to choose FAT32 or NTFS, in general people choose FAT32, easier and you loose less data but in MY opinion it doesn't justify the reason to upgrade to XP! The previous version were running with the FAT32 so why upgrade? Windows 98 is not bad.
Windows XP comes from a combination of Windows 2000 which uses NT but not multimedia friendly and ME which is multimedia friendly but uses the FAT32.

When you choose to upgrade to XP with FAT32 your keeping some files, driver... that was running with the previous version, this could cause some problems.

When you format the drive before the installation you can still choose FAT32 or NTFS but at least it's a CLEAN installation and you will notice a difference in speed, your computer will run MUCH faster.

Just one last thing, not recommended to install windows NT on the same partition of your audio files in fact audio will play better on FAT32.
In best world you install Windows NT and create the other partition on FAT32 or you use 2 drives.

The beauty of XP is it's NT platform and this is not my opinion it's a fact!

Regards

George
June 6th, 2003, 10:43 AM
The main advantage to NTFS is that the file system does not get fragmented as bad as FAT32, so the seek time is faster.Obviosly this becomes more of a factor on the larger hard drives. It is not with my 40gb.

One would be hard pressed to notice any difference in speed between the two systems at the 40gb and below sizes running a Pentium4 at 1600mhz as I do.

The overall performance of XP still justifies using it over 98SE even with FAT32. That has been my experience, not to mention the onset of software programs that no longer support 98SE. Hoster is an example of that. That is the wave of the future, and is reason enough to change to XP, FAT32 or not, and that is a fact.

The key to a happy running pc when running XP with FAT32 is to keep the hard drive defragmented which I do frequently.

Microsoft themselves point out in their help section that some older programs may not run on NTFS, which is another reason I say that a flat outright recommendation to change without knowing what the other person needs are is unwise. There are too many variables.

No one size fits all in this arena.That's all I'm saying.

George