PDA

View Full Version : skipping ????

Beavis
May 31st, 2003, 09:22 AM
has anyone had any problems with the program stopping in the middle of the song for a split second ???

is this a bug in the program ??

George
May 31st, 2003, 10:12 AM
If you're talking about a sudden loss of audio (like a couple of notes missing) MTU is aware of this glitch, and as intermittant as it is, it's going to be a bugger to track down.

George

Beavis
May 31st, 2003, 05:52 PM
i dont remember this happening in 1.2

maybe i forgot !

bubba1453
June 1st, 2003, 11:01 AM
Hi, Bevis. Friday was doing a show and everything was going fine. Then all of a sudden the graphics froze up. Audio continued fine. This happened once before with one of my KJ's. He shuts down Hoster, restarts and everything is fine. The other time it freezes is when the KJ puts about 5 songs in the playlist. It freezes and again has to shut down Hoster and restart. So at this time is only putting one singer in playlist at a time. Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Bob Stevens
Toledo, Ohio

Flipeoke
June 1st, 2003, 11:36 AM
I had this happen during my first complete show w/ hoster, I attributed it to running another (resource hog) program at the time. I closed the other program, and Hoster was fine. Now that you mention it though, I think I might have had a problem with having to close the 'Add HD track' window once or twice due to freezing lyrics... I figured it was my slow laptop not being able to keep up with everything. I'm planning on upgrading soon, but not sure if I want to get a new laptop, or the new Portable PC. Maybe it wasn't my laptop at all then...anyone else have these problems? For the record:

My laptop:
Toshiba 2805-S402
Pentium III 850Mhz
NVidia GeForce2 Go Integrated GPU (16Mb)
Windows XP-Pro
DirectX 9
Hoster installed on boot drive NTFS (C: internal 20Gb w/ 12.7Gb Free)
Files hosted on USB2 Western Digital NTFS 120Gb w/67.3Gb Free
6801 songs imported using 28.7 Gb

What is everyone else using?

Flip (a.k.a. Mike)

************EDIT:************
I knew I left something out of my specs, I have only 128Mb, and yes, this trouble occured to me while only using songs from the hard drive as well. Graphics froze, music kept playing, when I closed the other program I had running it cleared itself. Then it happened again, and I had to close the 'Add HD track' window, which I was keeping open in the lower right hand corner. Once I closed the window, it cleared. Graphics instantly caught up and all was well.
Like I said I assumed it to be my slow memory starved computer. But once other people mentioned it, I figured since I ran into the same trouble (or similar), I should post what happened to me. I'm going to see if I can recreate it and let you know what I find. Thanks again.

admin
June 1st, 2003, 01:05 PM
Some tests we have done indicates that Windows XP almost requires 256MB RAM by itself.

If you use the Add CD Track, this reads the CD Track into the virtual memory, thus requiring between 30MB-60MB per song. Currently, we allow up to 4 CD Tracks to be buffered (it won't let you add a 5th until one of the other 4 has played). Thus, at least 512MB of RAM is recommended. If you are running less, you probably are seeing the lockup and display freeze as a result of this. We do this so you have full power to move it, skip it, delete it just as if it were from the hard drive. However, when it plays, or your shut down Hoster or Windows, they are auto-deleted so you can't be accused of illegally importing songs that you don't own. You can only play them for the singer, who brought their own disc.

How much RAM do each of you have?

bubba1453
June 1st, 2003, 02:23 PM
We are having the freeze up when playing off the hard drive. Only running the Hoster program. The laptop we use as listed below is dedicated for Hoster. Again program plays fine, then out of nowhere graphics freeze. Shut down and restart hoster and everything is fine. When putting several songs in playlist from hard drive, program will freeze. again shut down hoster and restart and everything is fine. This has happened three times after having about 3 hours of use on computer. The following is specs on Laptop:

Dell Inspiron 8200
Pentiun 4 Processor, 2.0 GHZ
512MB,DDR,266m,1DIMM
40GB Ultra ATA 5400 RPM Performance Hard drive
ATI Radeon 9000 64MB DDR 4X AGP Graphics
Windows Xp Home edition

Thanks for response and advise!

Flipeoke
June 1st, 2003, 03:47 PM
Bob,
My trouble was while playing from the harddrive as well, I added on to my post in above to state this. Again, I'm still not sure my trouble is the same as yours, Hoster never actually froze on me, just the graphics for a few seconds, I was watching very carefully since it was my first show, and I knew my laptop just barely met the speed requirements. As soon as it happened, I figured the program was "memory starved" and I shut down my DJ program which remedied it for awhile. Then it happened again, I think the key, that makes me think it is the same problem is that I kept the 'Add HD track' window open most of the time. You said yours happened after adding a number of songs in a row... After awhile it would happen, and I would have to close the 'Add HD track' window down and it was clear. It only happened a couple of times in an 8 hour show.

Flip (a.k.a. Mike)

mikedomi
June 1st, 2003, 05:52 PM
guys i think i was the first to report this but no one else did for a long time now it seams like this is happing to quit a few of you admin this has nothing to do with cd rom for most of use this is happing from hard drive it is just now starting to show its ugly head for the rest of the kjs i dont now how we are going to find this one it is happing on xp pro clean install with 512m ram and its happing to me on both xp pro/win 2000 512 m ram when this graphics thing happens audio still plays

Beavis
June 1st, 2003, 07:46 PM
This is a serious issue. its not good for the shows.

There has to be a bug deep in the program.

MTU, has any of the beta testers had this problem ?

ps: hey flip, 8 hour show !!!! that takes guts !! joke !