PDA

View Full Version : Imported Songs Have Audio Glitches

bernie
May 27th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Upon playback, I'm finding many imported songs have audio anomalies, typically limited to the first few seconds. These range from annoying audible "blips" to starting playback only to jump back to the beginning. I've seen a few other posts describing this problem but no definitive solution.

I also concur with the observation made by others that the problem is limited to those discs which have a very short splash-screen prior to the song start. Top Hits Monthly, for example, begin song playback before the opening graphics are even a third complete. No way can I get clean audio imports of these tracks.

I'm using Holster 2.011 with a Dell Dimension 8250, 2.8GHz Pentium 4, Creative SB Live, ATI Radeon 9700, dual flat screen monitors, Plextor PX-W4824A.

I have tried different sample rates, disabling compressor/limiter, saving to local drive vs. external, importing on a single song basis, and find nothing that reliably eliminates the problem.

One observation I have made is that audio glitches never occur if the song is added to the playlist via the "Add CD Trk". The temporary file which Holster creates on-the-fly is always perfect, the imported version never is.

Is Holster using a different method to create the temporary image than is used to create imported file?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It's bad enough having imported so many discs before discovering the bad imports but not knowing how to correct the problem is very discouraging.

Thanks in advance for your feedback,

bernie

James w murray
May 27th, 2003, 06:19 PM
hate to say this but glad other people are starting to have this problem i have sent my mtu laptop back twice for this problem
mtu is working on a solution they found a bug deep in the program

bernie
May 27th, 2003, 07:08 PM
james,

Thanks for the feedback. The problem is severe enough to keep a significant portion of my disc inventory from being imported and therefore usable with Holster. I was surprised there have been so few messages on the subject.

If indeed MTU has acknowledged there is a problem I will be patient and wait for a software update.

bernie

James w murray
May 27th, 2003, 07:12 PM
hi yes they have found a couple of glitches do you have a laptop that it is on they also said that if your hard drive is running less then 5400 this causes the problem as well they are installing a new thin line hard drive on my unit that runs at 5400 as well as the software update this is why they stopped selling the laptop on there website and now sell a portable pc instead