PDA

View Full Version : Key Change "On The Fly"

rraike
May 17th, 2003, 07:53 AM
I have been using Hoster for about a month at my venues and I have had a couple of singers say " That song seemed a little slower than usual"..hardly noticable, but after they told me that I played a few songs with Hoster then CDG player and I can notice it ..just a little. Is this possible or are they serving doubles instead of singles at the bar. I have Word pad running in the background for finding songs in my Titles list but I dont think that should make a difference:r

admin
May 17th, 2003, 08:42 AM
The playback rate is controlled by the sample rate... the rate that samples are sent to the Digital to Analog converters to regenerate sound.

To have Hoster play back slower would require the computer crystal controlled clock oscillator to slow down, or Windows OS to change sample rate. I don't think so!

If your Media Player (we use this to export the audio samples to the D-to-A converters) is playing alright, then so is Hoster.

Serve me up a double if I'm wrong. :w

rraike
May 17th, 2003, 09:00 AM
Quite a compelling answer ..Thanks .. Could it be possible the Key Change of the CDG player I am using (JVC Triple tray) Has a higher reference point for "0" than Hoster. It's not a big deal however..But maybe they are just used to my JVC playing a little faster than what it should ...(if that is at all possible) or the other answer could be that I sign them up for the local chapter of "AA"

jeannette
July 12th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by rraike
I have been using Hoster for about a month at my venues and I have had a couple of singers say " That song seemed a little slower than usual"..hardly noticable, but after they told me that I played a few songs with Hoster then CDG player and I can notice it ..just a little. Is this possible or are they serving doubles instead of singles at the bar. I have Word pad running in the background for finding songs in my Titles list but I dont think that should make a difference:r

I just purchased hoster and the key changer does not work have you had this prob...

jr

jeannette
July 12th, 2004, 05:02 PM
hi don't know how to use this forum yet..so here goes again..just got hoster but cannot change key have you had this problem?

jr

kedmison
July 12th, 2004, 07:07 PM
I have found over the last 4 years that the only time a song is "noticed" as being a little slow is in the beginning of the night. It is usually by someone who isn't the best singer and hasn't had anything to drink. Towards the later part of the night, it's usually the same people, who now have had several and now find the music a "little Fast.":g

Kelly:w

S. Parks
July 12th, 2004, 07:42 PM
no I haven't had any problem changing the keys, especially in 2.209 or higher. which version are you running? Both the key change when adding songs to the play list, and the live key change function perfectly.

jeannette
July 12th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the email..just got it going..do not know how but at last I feel that my investment is becoming interesting..I sing in condo shows and can even have my portable computer on the center stage just as a security if my memory goes..whowwww

Have a good one

no I have to work on making playlists and all that fun stuff..

jerroke
July 13th, 2004, 10:22 AM
If you change key on the fly using cavs...your pc will freeze up and drunk people will scream at you 4 the WHOLE 5 minutes it takes you to reboot.... can you cahnge key as the music is playin using this program?

admin
July 13th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by jerroke
If you change key on the fly using cavs...your pc will freeze up and drunk people will scream at you 4 the WHOLE 5 minutes it takes you to reboot.... can you cahnge key as the music is playin using this program?

Yep! Yes! Absolutely!

All on the fly, even while the singer is performing if they give you a thumbs up or down to raise or lower the key, and it does it as fast as you click the new + or - buttons. We don't even restart the song... just keep playing where you clicked the new key change button.

Also, FYI... if your singer knows the song they want, and requests you play it one, two, three, four or five half-notes higher or lower, you can enter that when you enter their song request in the Playlist. Then... when their song comes up, Hoster automatically changes the key FOR THAT SONG ONLY to what you entered. :g :c

We're rather proud of the total depth we cover on live key changing.

Does it really take 5 minutes to reboot a CAVS?????? :? :? :? That's incredible! Heck, you can power off and restart our computers in about 1 minute!

Now, what's even better, we save every change you make to the Playlist the instant you make it. So, if your computer were to crash Hoster, just Ctrl-Alt-Delete and shut Hoster down (if its still gasping for air), and then run it again. The Playlist project file you had open is AUTOMATICALLY reopened, and every change you have made is still there! Total down time... about 30 seconds. Your singer can remain on stage while you restart Hoster. :) :w :g

BTW: This includes if you have added a CDG Track to the Playlist from a disc a Singer brings up for you to play. If the computer or Hoster crashes, even these "temporarily imported" CDG songs are still on the hard drive, still in the Playlist and still ready to play instantly. You don't have to ask your singers to bring their discs back up to reload. :g :g :g :g :c

Forgive my excitement, but I just wanted you to know... :w

jerroke
July 14th, 2004, 05:46 AM
I use the cavs to do the karaoke and a word pad to keep track of the rotation backed up by a simple slip order. I use player x for a dj program for background music and msexcell for my karaoke book. All in all, i have about 5 different things open to do a show and if the system crashes, it takes about 4-5 minutes to get it going again. Also, i have to use win 98 which is not nearly as easy to use as xp. In cavs defense, they do have a xp upgrade but i hate useing the program so much that i am considering the change instead of the upgrade. The only thing that has kept me from ordering the software from hoster already is the fact that I do not want to re-import or as cavs users call it to encode all of the music already. I am gonna check with cavs about the software that will do the change to the format that hoster uses. If i can find it, I may try the software.

Beavis
July 14th, 2004, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by jerroke
I use the cavs to do the karaoke and a word pad to keep track of the rotation backed up by a simple slip order. I use player x for a dj program for background music and msexcell for my karaoke book. All in all, i have about 5 different things open to do a show and if the system crashes, it takes about 4-5 minutes to get it going again. Also, i have to use win 98 which is not nearly as easy to use as xp. In cavs defense, they do have a xp upgrade but i hate useing the program so much that i am considering the change instead of the upgrade. The only thing that has kept me from ordering the software from hoster already is the fact that I do not want to re-import or as cavs users call it to encode all of the music already. I am gonna check with cavs about the software that will do the change to the format that hoster uses. If i can find it, I may try the software.

Do yourself a favor and buy hoster !! you will be back here thanking MTU !!!!!!!!! then you will say i should have bought this years ago !!

the re-importing isnt that bad !!

maybe MTU can make a conversion tool ????

rraike
July 14th, 2004, 08:07 AM
I have had Hoster for quite a while now and upgraded to the latest version 2212 and I have to tell you, it is Fantastic! I was always (under the pressure of a show)..pressing the wrong Key Changer keys when inputting the song. The new layout takes the confusion out of which Key change button to press.(On the Fly or song input) The only feature that would make this a complete package is a VCD player. Then I could get rid of the 20 or so VCD discs that I still carry. When I downloaded 2209, I was ready to go back to the previous version because of the mandatory singer input routine (I dont input singers names and found that quite annoying) Good on you MTU! You listen to your customers and I will not hesitate upgading and paying for Version 3.XXX. This program coupled with my Messageoke program (Live to screen messaging) makes it the complete pakage.

S. Parks
July 14th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Messageoke? Do tell! What is this?

admin
July 15th, 2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by BEAVIS
maybe MTU can make a conversion tool ????

Very complex undertaking as CAV's mpg is a propritary a format.

rraike
July 15th, 2004, 04:53 AM
Messageoke is a small program written by a friend of mine which allows me to send Live messages to the Tv's while I'm doing a show. At the beginning of my show while I am playing music before I start Karaoke I have a small slide show welcoming people and how fill in the request slips etc. Then I have a list of scoring numbers (1 to 10) to rate singers with funny pictures (cartoon characters holding up score cards). Other messages are "don't give up your day job" "Karaoke Virgin" "legend" "great song" etc. These are all small preset Animated gifs which are acuated by one mouse click. I can also Type messages in an area of the program (singers name, Substitute the real lyrics, for funny ones)
I will post a screen shot when I get time. This program works flawlessley with Hoster, even with the earlier versions when Hoster was running at 50%+ processor use. Now that Hoster barely runs at 2% (good on you MTU, makes my laptop runs a whole lot cooler).
This program makes my show a lot more interesting (for host and customers) but you have to know which people to have fun with.
I think MTU has something like this in the pipeline but I couldn't wait.
Cheers:)

SteveWalker
July 18th, 2004, 07:45 PM
I have been using Hoster for about a month at my venues and I have had a couple of singers say " That song seemed a little slower than usual"..hardly noticable, but after they told me that I played a few songs with Hoster then CDG player and I can notice it ..just a little. Is this possible :r

Time it with a stop watch from start to finish while playing it in Hoster, then do the same with a CDG player AND also on a standard CD player and compare the 3 times. If it is different it will show up in several seconds off over a 3 minute period. Please let us know the results.

Steve

Beavis
July 18th, 2004, 08:35 PM
send it my way !! sounds just like what im looking for !

songpony
August 14th, 2004, 12:20 AM
Regarding the issue of Hoster seeming to play songs at a slightly different rate than the JVC triple-tray player - true statement. I too went from that player to Hoster, and there was a noticeable difference on some songs. I also have a Pioneer player, and playing a song in it was also different from playing it in the JVC. I'd have to say the JVC is a little out of whack, but if it's what people were used to hearing the songs on, any change is going to be "wrong". However, they will eventually get used to hearing it "correctly" in Hoster.