PDA

View Full Version : Portable PC vs. Laptop

AutomatedKJ
May 17th, 2003, 03:10 AM
I read the following from your web site.

So why did MTU replace our laptop computer? Laptop computer makers are now shipping less capable and less reliable technology. Faster 5400rpm drives are discontinued and slower 4200rpm drives fail with normal karaoke show use.The audio outputs are not tested for quality so we receive variable quality that does not meet our standards, or that you require to run a professional show. Finally, it is difficult to odify a thin-line CDR drive to fit into a laptop. We no longer do this, which requires using and external USB drive, making your laptop less portable.

DOES THIS MEAN THAT YOU NO LONGER SHIP THE LAPTOP? DOES THIS MEAN THAT THE SHUTTLE PORTABLE PC IS YOUR SOLUTION OF CHOICE? THE PORTABLE PC IS WATER COOLED FROM MY UNDERSTANDING FOR BOTH THE PROCESSOR AND MOTHERBOARD, IS THAT CORRECT? DO YOU RECOMMEND OTHER FANS TO COOL THE SYSTEM OR DO YOU THINK THAT THE BOX WILL STAY COOL ENOUGH? I KNOW THAT THE PCDJ FORUMS TALK ABOUT PUTTING AS MANY EXTRA FANS IN YOUR SOUND SYSTEM AND IN A DESKTOP IF USED. DO YOU THINK THAT ADDING TWO HARD DRIVES AND A CDR WHETHER EXTERNAL OR INTERNAL WILL KILL THE 250 WATT POWER SUPPLY. SOME OF MY FRIENDS TOLD ME THAT I MAY WANT TO CHECK THIS OUT FIRST WITH YOU...

mlepine
May 17th, 2003, 09:40 AM
AutomatedKJ,

I'll give you my opinion on Laptop versus Desktop:

Buying a Desktop will allow to have more for your money, better sound card, better & faster Hard drive, faster CD-Rom and more option to customized.

For me a Laptop is for my work, I own a good Dell P3, 1G, 256meg Rams, Ati video card and as always a standard audio card (chip).

A desktop is bigger thru, but it's day in night when it comes to compare the quality of it's components.

Don't worry for your 250 Watts Power supply, my Desktop has a 200 Watts and I'm running 2 hard drive (40G & 80G). Again it's a question of quality.

I can easily build my self an excellent Desktop at half the price of a Laptop and also use the best components available.
With the new small desktop available today I don't see why anyone would want to spend so much money on a Laptop!

Just my opinion,
Regards

admin
May 17th, 2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by AutomatedKJ
DOES THIS MEAN THAT YOU NO LONGER SHIP THE LAPTOP? Admin: A Laptop is the most expensive way you can go today. It is hard for us to justify the cost difference for the laptop to our customers. With our Portable PC, you have to "really want" a laptop to justify its price.

DOES THIS MEAN THAT THE SHUTTLE PORTABLE PC IS YOUR SOLUTION OF CHOICE? Admin: The most recent Laptop hard drives speed and small buffering is such that you can drop audio, which is why we have discontinued selling them for the immediate time. Older drives worked better, and new drives are on the way in several months. However, we will no longer hand modify our CDG certified CDR thin-line drives to fit a laptop, so you will have an external USB CDR drive to take with a laptop.

THE PORTABLE PC IS WATER COOLED FROM MY UNDERSTANDING FOR BOTH THE PROCESSOR AND MOTHERBOARD, IS THAT CORRECT? Admin: The fluid is pure water within the heat pipes. The superior engineering of the entire system is clearly evident. The processor cooling system is an incredible piece of engineering! We have been shipping PC based digital audio workstations since 1986 and this is the best engineering we have ever seen. The motherboard is not "water cooled", but the entire case, motherboard, processor, drives has clearly been thermally designed.

DO YOU RECOMMEND OTHER FANS TO COOL THE SYSTEM OR DO YOU THINK THAT THE BOX WILL STAY COOL ENOUGH? Admin: This is the first time MTU engineers have not had to re-engineer the cooling system. Our Portable PC works very well as it comes to us.

I KNOW THAT THE PCDJ FORUMS TALK ABOUT PUTTING AS MANY EXTRA FANS IN YOUR SOUND SYSTEM AND IN A DESKTOP IF USED. Admin: I would fully agree with most off the shelf desktop and even mini/mid/full tower systems. Some of the FULL TOWER cases we have received had the worst cooling design, and the hard drives would overheat until we added cooling means inside the case. Our Portable PC has superior cooling design and does not require any modifications.

DO YOU THINK THAT ADDING TWO HARD DRIVES AND A CDR WHETHER EXTERNAL OR INTERNAL WILL KILL THE 250 WATT POWER SUPPLY. Admin: No problem at all. The IDE drives today draw very little power. I would not say that about the SCSI hard drives, but MTU does not use or ship SCSI drives.

SOME OF MY FRIENDS TOLD ME THAT I MAY WANT TO CHECK THIS OUT FIRST WITH YOU...

If you have any other questions, just ask. We will answer them all.

I might add, our Portable PC is the coolest (thermally and technology) computer we have ever assembled. The fan/heat pipe/heat sink assembly is well designed for the motherboard and case. The drives run cooler than normal because of the thermal air-flow design.

Plus, our Portable PC with Hoster gives you the smallest size, and to our knowledge lowest cost (in a small case/laptop) available.