PDA

View Full Version : Hoster Key Changer Vibrato

CochrellGary
May 8th, 2003, 03:41 PM
You may or may not have noticed that a slight vibrato is introduced into a song being played by hoster when you change the key. I notice it and thought I could live with it but I just can't. My solution is to use an external key changer. The music now comes out clear and without the vibrato. I just have to remember to eliminate the key change for the next song. It's an inconvenience but the resulting sound is worth it.

Gary

admin
May 8th, 2003, 07:09 PM
Keyrite, which is the key change code in Hoster, was designed to provide no controls. As a result, there are some tradeoffs we made that can cause artifacts at some key change settings. The 2.0 release will allow adusting the settings to remove artifacts... or that is our goal anyway.

Gary, did you notice the vibrato more on any particular key changes, such as -2 or +1, or did it seem the same on all changes?

CochrellGary
May 9th, 2003, 06:52 PM
admin

Rating the intensity of the vibrato on a scale of (0) to (5), 5 being the most intense (strongest) here is what I'am hearing:
-5 = 1
-4 = 4
-3 = 4
-2 = 3
-1 = 2
0 = 0
+1 = 3
+2 = 3
+3 = 2
+4 = 2
+5 = 4

Gary

mkirkpat
May 21st, 2003, 10:55 PM
Gary, I was wondering what external key changer you were using...and is an an external "Software" piece or "hardware" device that you running from your soundcard?

CochrellGary
May 21st, 2003, 11:12 PM
mkirkpat

The key changer is a commercial unit that I have mounted in my equipment case.

Gary

jaddams
May 21st, 2003, 11:28 PM
Admin,

I have been doing some testing on the “Key Change Vibrato Situation.” Although I am using others “key change options,” for myself, my testing on Keyrite seems to be parallel to CochrellGary’s results on a 0 to 5 scale, five being the most intense.

Regards,

Jon

George
May 22nd, 2003, 08:46 AM
DELETED BY GEORGE

Nephi
May 22nd, 2003, 02:30 PM
Has anybody who doesn't get this effect ever listened to the results from someone who does?? It would seem to be good science to try and see if your machine does or does not get the same results. Otherwise maybe it's just the way you hear it.

George
May 22nd, 2003, 02:48 PM
DELETED BY GEORGE

kenpattx
June 10th, 2003, 10:04 AM
I've noticed a bending of notes when we try to use the key up or down, its so noticeable I cannot use it ... anyone have a simuliar problem..........

mlepine
June 10th, 2003, 10:33 AM
kenpaxx,

a new version of Keyrite 2.0 is to be expected in the coming days, it should let you adjust the sound to your GOOD ears.

Some people hear it some don't and don't ask me why?

Let's hope we can now use our Key changer to adjust to our voice, it's getting harder & harder to sing the Bee Gees!!

Regards

pcgumshoe
June 18th, 2003, 02:09 PM
I am late to this posting, however I did want to say that I have this problem. I also know of a mixer that has keychange on it, but I have lost ALL faith in the company. The mixer is by VOCOPRO. They have the KJ-8000 (lessor models may have it too). The key change is on the board.

Here are some of the disadvantages of the board, when the songs is done, the key stays where it was, if it was down 2, the next song will come out down 2 unless you key it back to natural. Also, the sound processor on reacts to audio that is actively passing through it. If there is a long section where no music is coming through the speakers, the key seems to shift back to Natural... This may not sound bad, but if you have any echo or reverb in the song (and who doesn't) then you as a singer or host notice the key changing back.

There is a song on a Pocket Songs CD from Little Shop of Horrors, "Grow For Me." If I keyed this down, toward the end there is a very dramatic music drop out and I always notice the key reverting back to natural.

There is another nice feature on this board that has been asked about, removing of the multiplex. There is a multiplex button that removes the background vocals.

I have owned four pieces of VOCOPRO equipment and all four have had to be returned to the purchase place or the manufacturer for one reason or another. Therefore I won't be buying anything else of theres.

I hope this is helpful to someone... P.S. I have one of the aforementioned boards available for Sale... ;)

bruce@baldane.c
July 2nd, 2003, 07:43 PM
Hi guys, I'm new here so bear with me. Like the rest of you I was experiencing the same vibrato effect running hoster 2.011 on a shuttle PC. Amazing piece of kit apart from this problem. After doing all the usual things like changing compression ratio, to no effect my solution was to buy an old Pioneer Karaoke mixer amp on ebay cost £53 and now the problem of mixing audio to vocal with good key change ability without the reverb effect.
I have also tried a couple of KAM amp/mixers with equally good results but prefer the Pioneer it's old battered and reliable <g>.

Bruce Royle

leethedj
July 11th, 2003, 06:24 AM
I have also noticed the Vibrato, it is very noticable, +1 or -1 and on. I'm sure the crew @ mtu will fix this problem, you wont even have to re-Import the songs. I believe there just about to wrap up all the things that were mentioned in the past.