PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Mic Recomendations

Flipeoke
May 2nd, 2003, 07:53 AM
I'm in the process of setting up a new system, and I'm looking for suggestions for a wireless mic, here's what I have so far:

Mixer: Mackie DFX12
Speakers: (2) Mackie C300 (w/stands)
Amp: Samson S1000 (340W/ch @ 8Ohms)
EQ: Art 341 (Dual Channel 15 Band)
Mics: (3) Sennheiser E835 (w/stands)
Players: Laptop w/ hoster and 2 JVC players as a backup.

I'm also looking into getting some sort of vocal processor/reverb unit. The mixer has built in effects, and while I have not yet used them in a gig to see how they sound, they don't seem to yeild the best results while playing around at home.

OK so Wireless Mics: Currently I have a Audio2000 AWM6514P and it's alright, but it has dropouts and is not the best vocal quality I have heard. I've budgeted $500 for a wireless mic, but won't complain if I spend less and can use the savings toward other things. I'm leaning towards the Sennheiser EW135, but also like the Shure UT24/58. How about the transmitter modules that plug right into any microphone? I have no way of trying out some of the higher quality mics, since the only brands my local shop keeps instock are of the lower quality brands. (Audio2000 and Gemini) So I'm looking for reccommendations, and hope to find a good deal online (and a good return policy If I find I don't like it).

Sorry for the longwinded post,
Mike

TKaraoke
May 2nd, 2003, 09:32 AM
Hi, I use a Zoom 2000 effects unit and really like the results, also I had 2 EV367 mics, but converted them to wireless using Smason converters, I have 2 of them, they have been dropped a few times and so far hold up excellent. The EV's have since been changed, and I believe the new one is called a 267. Also, I have one one EV's wireless units using the 167 model mic, and it seems to work fine with real good volume and sound. If you like you Sennheisers, just convert them.
TK

TKaraoke
May 2nd, 2003, 09:34 AM
Sorry, those are SAMSON units.

flipper
May 5th, 2003, 01:55 AM
I use 2 Samson Series One UHF Wireless units in my show and have had absolutely no problems with them in 3yrs. The price per unit is now down to $299 and the quality is excellent.

The other thing I like about these units is that they are sized perfectly so that you can fit 2 side by side in a rack mount.

Lot's of wireless mics to choose from, but these work great for me.

Good Luck!

AllStar
November 12th, 2003, 12:28 PM
Hi All

We are using 2 Nady UHF 10 HT ($139,00 each) and they sound fantastic. No dropouts and crystal clear. I would strongly recommend these mics. According me probably the best value for money.

AllStar

wackyquack
November 12th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Mike

I have been using a Shure Vocalist 58 (TV58D) for about 3 yrs for my private performance ($330.00)

For my karaoke gigs I use a set of Shure Twin Pros (2 mics/1 receiver) Had them about 2 yrs. Not one problem. cost about $450.00.

Alesis makes a good digital vocal processor

Good Luck

mlepine
November 12th, 2003, 03:10 PM
For a good Mic:

Shure is the way to go for Live Performance wireless or Cable

DSP:

Best Option is Lexicon, by far the best processor available on the market, the entry model 110 will give you the same performance as the most expensive model with less option. Lexicon is also a Harman Cie which also has: Harman Kardon, JBL, AKG, Infinity...

Regards

kedmison
November 12th, 2003, 03:21 PM
I get kidded all the time for using my mics for karaoke gigs. Two Shure UHF's, with 87ABeta heads. I know that's alot of money for karaoke. But I have found that the better I can make you sound the better response I get. As always. Try out the various mics out there. And unfortunately the old saying is usually true; you get what you pay for. Buy the best you can afford at the time. My back up mics are wired Beta 58A's.

Kelly

gduns - with the Lord
November 12th, 2003, 03:52 PM
Before you by a reverb or such try out the built in effects..... read the manual. They are excellent. I had a mixer and still have a external effects unit, but the mackie built in is much better.

for a mic... I use a shure wireless uhf w/sm58 head.
for guitar...I use a audio technica uhf.
for singers I have a dual vocopro vhf.

as for wired mics.
for me I use a Peavey diamond series, and a shure sm58
for singers I use shure pg58's & some other cheap shures.

don't buy expensive mic's for drunks, someone will always start swinging them by the cord. or drop a wireless, then you could be out a couple a hundred bucks if you do. or worse lose your temper

pcgumshoe
December 12th, 2003, 06:06 AM
AKG is what I am using, very nice.

Flip, you mean to tell me they don't have a Guitar Center where you live? Buddy up with someone at a Guitar Center, you may feel out of sorts in the bigging with the "ROCKER" image, but if you find a good buddy there, they will help you and support your show.

Also, after a while, you may end up with a good discount. They usually keep a lot of stuff on hand, and they shouldn't mind you trying it out + they have a 30 day return police if it doesn't do what you want.

Don't want to be a buddy with someone at Guitar Center, that's still okay, they have the "Low Price Guarantee" check online or in your community for adds on products... WALK IN with copies of web sites and say, "I saw XYZ mic for $399.95 and I want it for $399.95..." You will leave with that mic for that price.... The don't want you to leave the store, if you want to buy, they want to sell.

P.S. I don't work for them, a good customer and my "buddy" works there as a reginal manager, that's the policy!

Louieoke
December 16th, 2003, 10:25 AM
Just to build on that last post, if I'm not mistaken, you also have 60 days to return an item if you iniatially buy something and want to return it but trade up in the process. Please don't take this as the gospel, but ask before you buy initially and they'll be happy to tell you. I have a buddy or 2 at the one here in Little Rock and yes that does work because they know exactly how much the "bottom Line" you'll have to pay is.

Also, what is the model# of the Samson wired to wireless converters, and does anyone know how much they cost?? Sounds like a great idea. I still used wired sm58's because I would have a few people that would probably take off into the crowd with them. But for weddings, Corporate events, etc. would be ideal.

Thanks,
Louieoke!

mooman
February 1st, 2004, 03:33 PM
You wont get much better than sm58's - wired or wireless. Quality mics.

mlepine
February 1st, 2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by mooman
You wont get much better than sm58's - wired or wireless. Quality mics.

I have the Shure sm58 & an Audio-Technica ATM41HE both wired with a good XLR cable and the Audio-Technica is superior!

I use it for Live & Studio recording, it cost me $10,00 more than my Shure but it was worth it!!

The Audio-Technica is build in Japan not Taiwan, it's a Hypercardiod Lo-z Dynamic and the closer you sing to the mic the better the sound gets.

Hey, don't get me wrong, the Shure is good but...

Regards

mooman
February 2nd, 2004, 02:28 AM
I didn't say SM 58's were the best - just that you wouldn't get much better. :w
Have fun

mooman