PDA

View Full Version : What Specs would best support Hoster

flipper
April 30th, 2003, 12:03 AM
Has anyone come up with a list of components required to run hoster that would give us optimum performance.

I'm considering having a system built to run hoster but would prefer not to have a laptop. Any Suggestions on what the ideal system would be like:

Hardware, Operating System, Etc.

George
April 30th, 2003, 12:28 AM
As copied and pasted from the Hoster description onn the website.

Runs on Windows 2000, XP Pro (recommended), XP Home (does not support dual display), NOT 98SE or ME.

CDG Certified CD-Recorder to import CDG Karaoke discs to the hard drive.

Graphics video card must support Direct-X 8.1 or higher. For dual-display use, requires an ATI or equivalent dual-display card.
Processor should be at least 800 MHz Pentium 3 (or equivalent) or faster.

The computer must have an Ethernet card or port installed. If you do not have one you can order an inexpensive USB network module from MTU that allows Hoster to run on multiple computers, but only on the one with that USB network module

flipper
May 8th, 2003, 01:43 AM
Thank You George. I did see that post regarding minimum requirements. I found that helpful.

I was just curious what other Hoster users are using in there Karaoke Shows that is working great for them. I would value the input.

admin
May 8th, 2003, 06:30 AM
We are just now introducing a new Karaoke Portable PC computer, including Hoster.

Read about it at http://www.mtu.com/basics/karaoke-portable-pc.htm :w

It is a bit more bulky than a Laptop, but the performance is awesome!

Beavis
May 8th, 2003, 07:35 AM
Nice job MTU !!!!

flipper
May 8th, 2003, 02:50 PM
Looks Like an Excellent System!!

Thank You MTU

jaddams
May 8th, 2003, 04:15 PM
Nice specs Admin, RAID configurations are always terrific for situations when you cannot afford a hard drive crash. :s

Great price also. :g

Good luck,

Jon

mindonstrike
June 1st, 2003, 03:01 PM
The general guidelines as set forth in the Hoster's product description as well as the portable pc's prod descr is helpful but to a computer neophyte still confusing.
For Instance:
Will any dual display video card be adequate?
I read somewhere on this forum about problems with ATI "powered by" VS "built by". Is this still the case?
Initially the proposed specs suggested ATI 7500 but I see the laptop utilized an ATI 9000 . Will the 7500 still work?
And at Pricewatch I see a bazzillion (slight exageration) variations of the 7500 and 9000. What do I need to look for in their prod descr in order to purchase the correct one?

Soundcards: Again is any soundcard adequate or will some more faithfully reproduce the music better than others?
And again I've read here where some have had problems associated with different brands and models.

Processor speed: Hoster Specs suggest 800 MHz is the minimum
and yet I read that occasional audio dropout occurs when running at this speed, so obviously this is not an optimum minimum.

Although I am planning on purchasing the portable pc in the next couple of days, I want to configure my Sony Vaio as a backup (redundancy is the only thing that will make me comfortable leaving my disks at home), so knowing what Hoster was built around and or what others are using succesfully would be a big help
On the subject of "Portable pc" I see hoster can be downloaded and reinstalled if necessary but what about the XP Pro. Does the PC come with License and CD?

Any forum members or MTU support that can clear up my confusion and speed up the buying process, would be much appreciated

Thankyou
Sam:?

MTUSUPPORT
June 9th, 2003, 09:21 PM
The ATI Radeon 7500 or any above this should work with no problems. Any of the NVIDIA G Force 4 cards should also work correctly. When you purchase an ATI card make sure that it is a card that is Built by ATI and not Powered by ATI.

Our Portable PC has the Nvidia GForce 4 built on the motherboard. This runs Hoster very well.

On the subject of "Portable PC" I see hoster can be downloaded and reinstalled if necessary but what about the XP Pro. Does the PC come with License and CD?

Yes, the PC comes with a Microsoft XP Pro Disc and License.

As for Sound Cards the Sound Blaster cards always seem to have the highest quality, but most any should work. This should be a choice of yours, due to your ears or your setup. We have had the best quality with the Sound Blaster Extigy (an External USB card) and the Sound Blaster Audigy (an internal PCI board) cards.

As for the Processor, I would recommend using either an Intel P 4 of 1.6ghz or higher or an AMD XP 2200 or higher. With at least 256mb of PC2100 DDR Memory.

Hope this helps.

djmadmaxx
June 10th, 2003, 02:41 AM
while i'm still loading cdg's , my Rackmount PC system is using windows xp pro, 2.53 ghz P4 Processor, 1024 pc 333 ram, 240 gigs of HD. SB audigy sound card (for hoster) and a M-Audio Delta 410 multichannel Sound card for my dj programs ( BPM studio pro and/or American DJ Pro-Mix) and the Radeon 9000 128 mb dual display video card. It has been flawless. I can't wait till i'm done importing my cdg'sd so i can use Hoster all night without switching to my JVC player back and forth all night.

mindonstrike
June 10th, 2003, 05:38 AM
:) Thanks that helps immensely!