PDA

View Full Version : Excessive bites

ROBERT A ROGAN
April 26th, 2003, 07:14 AM
Can some one help me. I have just had a computer Made and Had Installed Holster. I have read the instructions for Loading my collection of CGD ( 300 ) and after importing 10 so far at a ratio 128. point (1) I am unable to save to my E:\Karaoke as I cannot enter, eg EK001 and go the long way round to store the recordings? point (2) on checking the amount off Hard drive left out off 160 GB I have already used 55 GB. I am not very good at computers can you help
Many thanks Bob

nreel
April 26th, 2003, 08:30 AM
If you have one (1) Hard Drive, remember, the Operating System (OS) has probably accounted for most of the Bytes that you reported as used.

Generally speaking, WMA + G compression will use about 4-6 Meg per file. Your 10 songs most likely has only used 40-60 Meg of space on your Hard Drive.

Not quite sure what you mean on the “Storing “ issue but one way to see your Hard Drive’s “used” and “unused” space is to:

Left click on the “Start” button
Left Click (Depending on how your mouse Button is configured, you may need to Double Left Click) on “My Computer” to OPEN
Left Click on “View” which is located on the “Tool Bar” near the Top
Left Click on “Details”

You Hard Drive information should be displaying.

To permanently have the “Detail” showing the next time you OPEN “My Computer,” you should, after performing the steps above, do the following:

Left Click on “Tools” which is located on the “Tool Bar” near the top
Left Click “Folder Options”
Left Click “View” near the top
Left Click “Apply To All Folders”

George
April 26th, 2003, 08:42 AM
Nreel,

Your answer regarding hard drive usage is right on, in terms of MG, but Robert said he's already used 55GB. Either he used the wrong terminology, or there really is something drastically wrong.
I wouldn't have the foggiest idea what. Am tempted to think he meant MG.

Please clarify Robert, this could be important to support if it is in fact GB consumption, and there are no other programs on the HD and only 10 cd's imported....

George

Beavis
April 26th, 2003, 11:01 AM
sounds like he imported them as bin files !!

ROBERT A ROGAN
April 27th, 2003, 04:44 AM
thanks for your Replies. My Cpmputer has 2 Drivers C:\ & E:\ .The Holster program is on my E:\ Drive Size 160 GB after inserting my 10 discs it is now down to 97GB. If I Needed to make a Folder E:\Karaoke\EKoo1would I have to doit on my C:\ drive
your`s bob

George
April 27th, 2003, 08:39 AM
Robert,

Haven't the foggiest what's happening, but considering that Hoster is about 24Mg in size and using 128 compression would result in an average file size of 3 or 4 mg. per track, you shouldn't have begun to use even 1 gb. More like 60 to 70 mg total, with only 10 tracks.

How full is C: ? Just wondering if E: is set up to mirror C: as back up. If so, C: consumption plus Hoster and the 10 tracks should about equal E: consumption.

Just brainstorming.

Anybody else got any ideas ?

George

Beavis
April 27th, 2003, 12:05 PM
well if you want to see how much space your programs are taking up, go in the control panel and go to add/remove programs and add them up !!

i think he needs to get a computer guy there to give us some facts !! theres no way the songs are taking up that much space.

ROBERT A ROGAN
April 27th, 2003, 06:29 PM
May I say thanks to all for your help. I carried out what George said and found that C:\ is a local disk with 37 GB and within that folder is a file called music on checking this I have a very large record selection 35GB which has come of E:\ E:\ as local disc with152 GB. both local disc`s have a Karaoke folder ? C:\ has EK2 ,which my friend put in. E:\ has EK01-EK12 which i put on. when i try to open new in holster it Gives me select folder all that is there is E:\ Karaoke andon opening it a list EK 01-12 if i select EKo2 for example nothing happens. have I installed the CDG`s Correctly. i did say I was not very bright on computers. Might take Beavis point
again thanks for your help Bob

Beavis
April 27th, 2003, 08:00 PM
what i would do is get rid of the 37 gb hard drive and reformat the 160gb. just use the 160gb drive !! its all you will need !

mallorn
May 7th, 2003, 05:32 AM
As a 'computer guy' I took a look at Bob's PC last night and the files in question had been imported uncompressed. So that was about seven hundred meg, rather than the seventy meg expected. And even a 160GB drive would soon fill up with uncompressed files!

Much of the E drive is already taken with music MP3s, and I believe Bob is now correctly importing compressed files, into a standard 'Karaoke' folder on the large E drive.

The confusion arose when we started importing the files into separate directories for each Karaoke source disk, as we weren't aware that Hoster manages the files from within a core directory.

I have just printed a copy of the manaual... so now Bob can RTFM - Read The (umm) Friendly Manual.

Thanks for your continued support guys.