PDA

View Full Version : mtu professional laptop audio skips

James w murray
April 20th, 2003, 06:54 PM
I am having audio problems with the professional laptop i ordered from mtu, The audio either repeats or skips in the beginning of almost every other song.
i am very unsatified with this product,
i have had problems from the get go ,i have sent this unit back for repair once already
can anyone help me with this problem i have no programs running in the background and when i play a somg the procesor usage is at 100 percent
what a nightmare
all the songs play fine threw microstudio but not with hoster i have installed the 2.0 version in hopes that this would fix the problem but it did not

:m :f

James w murray
April 20th, 2003, 07:06 PM
i recently purchased the mtu professional laptop and have had problems with it ever since i already sent the unit back for repair once
i am having problems with the audio
almost evey other song imported into hoster either skips in the beginning or repeats the audio track
what a nightmare
there are no other programs running in the background and when a song is playing the processor is at 100%
help help help:f :f :f
i'm not sure what sound card is installed on it but since it was purchased threw mtu i assume it should be sufficient enough to handle the audio
it does this with brand new cd as well some songs are fine while other are terrible i have tried all the compression options as well to no avail.

:m :f :f :f
i can not run a show like this people are already complaining
please help

James w murray
April 20th, 2003, 08:13 PM
jon how does this information help me do i need to purchase and install a new sound card?
when i go into device manager and bring up the sound option it only has the reltek ac 97 listed nothing about a delta 410

Admin note: This and some other posts here were split from another Thread to avoid confusion, and keep all the posts about this problem in a single Thread.

James w murray
April 20th, 2003, 09:00 PM
JON DO I NEED TO REPLACE MY SOUND CARD ON THE 8854 PRO STAR LAPTOP? I JUST INSTALLED HOSTER ON MY DESKTOP COMPUTER A HP 9780C 900 SPEED PROCESSOR WITH WINDOWS XP HOME WITH A CREATIVE AUDIO PCI SOUND CARD
I IMPORTED A COUPLE OF SONGS THAT SKIPED AND REPEATED ON THE PROSTAR ONTO MY DESKTOP COMPUTER AND THEY IMPORTED PERFECT NO PROBLEMS SOUND IS PERFECT AND CRYSTAL CLEAR

George
April 20th, 2003, 09:57 PM
James,

Would like to put your mind at ease on one thing. Hoster does not consume 100% CPU usage. Task manager may say it does, but it does not. Hoster PC requirements are 800MHZ.

When this first came up, MTU found that although the program APPEARS to use 100% of the processor, what in fact is happening is that it does not APPEAR to release what processor functions it does not need, when in fact it does release what it's not actually using.

Here's a simple way to prove it to yourself.

Open Hoster and start a track playing. Minimize Hoster, and double click the desktop shortcut and open Hoster again. Start another track playing. They will both be playing simultaneously. This obviously would be an impossibility if the programs were both demanding 100% of the CPU, because they are in fact running independantly of one another.

Hope this helps on that point.

Regarding the sound card, this may not be an answer, but have you tried reducing the sound card accellerator settings ?

Take care,
George

jaddams
April 21st, 2003, 03:06 AM
James:

No, I don't think you should replace you sound card! If it came with the MTU laptop, IT works!

The audio either repeats or skips in the beginning of almost every other song.
These symptoms are usually associated to hardware acceleration problems. I suggest you try George’s recommendation.

In Windows XP:

1. Click on Start
2. Run
3. Type dxdiag
4. Click on the Sound Tabs
5. Under the Directx Features section, decrease the Hardware Acceleration Level a couple of notches.
6. Click Exit

Let’s see if that helps.

Regards,

Jon

James w murray
April 21st, 2003, 06:22 AM
hey jon and george i tried the accelorator suggestion you mentioned i set it for standard and then basic with the same results skiping and repeats help
on my desktop creative sound blaster the same songs are perfect clear and crisp no repeats or skips

Flipeoke
April 21st, 2003, 10:50 AM
James,
To help you out, you might want to post your question in a new thread, this one started by djmadmaxx is asking how to change the sound card Hoster is using, and I beleive that the help he is receiving (i.e. the delta 410 file) does not pertain to your problem, and is just confusing you. It's hard to follow two different topics at once in the same thread. The link to the delta 410 driver has nothing to do with your problem.

Mike

Flipeoke
April 21st, 2003, 11:02 AM
Was there anything else running when you imported the songs? Is the song skipping in the exact same spot each time, or does it vary. If it is skipping in the exact same place each time, problem is most likely with the file, if it varies where it skips, trouble is with the computer, either the hardware accelleration, or you have too much running in the background. Make sure you have closed all other programs, especially anti-virus programs, the same holds true when importing CDs.

Good luck,
Mike

James w murray
April 21st, 2003, 11:39 AM
i have nothing else running in the background
i went to compusa in the hopes that i could upgrade to a better sound card they said you can't do that with a laptop now what?
bryan had posted in an earliar forum that the reltek ac 97 may not have enough processing power if this is the case why does mtu sell there professional laptop with this soundcard on it . i am completely digusted with this product

mikedomi
April 21st, 2003, 11:48 AM
james comp is wrong you can but it has to be a usb sound card but that is not your problem its in the power supply we think the only fix right now for this is to lift the ground on the power cord but when you do this make sure every thing is plug in the same power strip

jaddams
April 21st, 2003, 12:25 PM
James,

Mike is right, you seem to be following the wrong instructions. Everything referring to the Delta 410, was meant to be for djmadmaxx.

This thread is becoming very difficult to follow. Please start a new one.

Good luck,

Jon

Flipeoke
April 21st, 2003, 01:05 PM
James,

Are you talking about skipping, or noise?

If you are talking about noise that is another problem entirely, if you are talking about skipping then answer these questions.

Do only certain songs skip?

Do those songs always skip?

Do those songs always skip in the same place?

If yes, try re-importing those songs, it is possible that maybe they became currupt while importing them.

How much free space do you have on your harddrive? Maybe jaddams or someone else can answer this better than me, since I have little experience with XP at this point, but if XP is still using a swapfile (like previous windows versions) for virtual memory, and your harddrive is too full it could be running into memory problems.

Mike

James w murray
April 21st, 2003, 04:40 PM
i have tried reimporting without success i tried changing the ratio of importing and compression
i have figured out a solution but it is not the best here it is if i have a problem inporting a song i then import it with microstudio and keep it on the hard drive as a cdg, file it plays perfect this way but i haven't been able to figure out how to get rid of the song in the data base i can delete the kma file but not the playlist file i'm not sure how much space a cdg takes up on my hard drive but this is a temporary solution i hope
and i am hoping that i can edit my song books that hoster prints so that i can assign a different song number such as ms-01 for a microstudio file
or maybe mtu can make hoster so it plays cdg files as well if we have a problem importing with hoster and can only be successful importing it with microstudio any thoughts guys would be appreciated

James w murray
April 21st, 2003, 04:58 PM
i have tried reimporting without success i tried changing the ratio of importing and compression
i have figured out a solution but it is not the best here it is if i have a problem inporting a song i then import it with microstudio and keep it on the hard drive as a cdg, file it plays perfect this way but i haven't been able to figure out how to get rid of the song in the data base i can delete the kma file but not the playlist file i'm not sure how much space a cdg takes up on my hard drive but this is a temporary solution i hope
and i am hoping that i can edit my song books that hoster prints so that i can assign a different song number such as ms-01 for a microstudio file
or maybe mtu can make hoster so it plays cdg files as well if we have a problem importing with hoster and can only be successful importing it with microstudio any thoughts guys would be appreciated

:f

Flipeoke
April 21st, 2003, 05:35 PM
James,
Let me start by saying, that I don't mean to belittle, offend, or insult your intelligence and I don't want to sound like a broken record, or make it seem like I'm being pushy, mean, or unhelpful. But you haven't answered my questions. I'm just trying to troubleshoot to rule out specific problems, and/or to narrow it down to what may be the problem. If all of your songs skipped in differing places, never skipping in the same place or sometimes not skipping at all, then I would have to say it is a hardware, processing, or memory issue. If it is always the same certain songs skipping in the same location everytime, even after importing, it might be the CD. There could be many different problems that cause skipping. It could be on the "frontside" of importing, such as a dirty disc or processing problems with importing, or the "backside" of importing, such as processing problems after importing. Without answering these questions (and just saying "No, I've tried that already" or such) it is impossible even for the best tech support in the world to narrow down a problem. While I am NOT MTU tech support, nor do I claim to be a guru or anything like that, I am just trying to rule out certain things to help narrow down the trouble. Please don't get upset or take this the wrong way, as I am only trying to help you fix your problem. I know that many times when I have a problem, I tend to overlook things that may be very obvious to someone else and when asked I smack myself in the forehead and say "I'm an idiot, why didn't I think of that" While you say you have already tried re-importing the songs you didn't tell us if they are still skipping in the same place or not, or if they were even skipping in the same place to begin with. If we can narrow down wether the skips are being generated in the importing process or the playback process, maybe someone will come up with an idea to try and fix this problem.
Just trying to help.

Mike

James w murray
April 21st, 2003, 05:39 PM
i have stated that re-importing does not help some skip the same and some in different places but if i import these same songs on to hoster that i have on my desktop instead of the laptop there is no skipping and the songs are crystal clear

mikedomi
April 21st, 2003, 05:47 PM
i told you i think i can help you but i need your lap top to confirm what i think .or you need to send it back to bryan and let him run the test i would run. it sounds like you are just spinning your wheels and not geting no were.mike d

Flipeoke
April 21st, 2003, 05:49 PM
I would try to take one of these songs that you imported on your desktop, and move it to your laptop (overwriting the file that was skipping with the 'desktop' version that doesn't skip) see if the new file skips on your laptop, if not I would have to say that the skips are generated during importing on your laptop, if they still skip then the problem is with playback...of course I suppose it could have both problems...

Mike

James w murray
April 21st, 2003, 05:55 PM
mike i replied earlier and asked you where you are at i'm in baltimore md
i was told that bryan would get back to me this afternoon and you can see it is almost 6 pm and i have heard nothing i have had nothing but problems with this laptop from the start
i already sent it back to bryan once when i first received it a month ago because of an audio problem
i was told that the manufacturer replaced the model but this was not true i marked the original one in a hidden spot to make sure they replaced it instead of repairing the defective one
this unit still has the mark

James w murray
April 21st, 2003, 06:19 PM
mike i already tried what you suggested i imported these files with microstudio on my desktop and burned a new cd it plays fine threw microstudio on the desktop as well as microstudio on the laptop but when i import it into hoster on the laptop is when i have the problem it imports to hoster fine on the desktop as well
just not the laptop
i work until 6 pm tomorrow threw thursday

mikedomi
April 21st, 2003, 06:29 PM
there are 3 mikes trying to help you. my name is mike dombroski.i have not told you to try anything yet. i live in maryland with you .the other mikes that are asking you ??? do not live here. i do. i sent you a priv. messeg to call me if you do not call me i can not help you .i need to talk to you first befor i give you my addresse. i think you got the mikes mixed up. after 6.00 is ok but call first tonight if you dont call i cant help you miked