PDA

View Full Version : Track 15 not importing - multisession protected discs

djmadmaxx
April 13th, 2003, 06:08 PM
I just started importing my discs(1,600 to go) and i noticed that track 15 on the Sound Choice spotlight discs don't come up.. they freeze when importing. So just like in microstudio i close the program with crtl alt del and it still doesn't show up. This works in microstudio.. but not hoster. I don't want to have to miss out on those tracks. Plus has anyone got around the Mediacloq yet.?? i have 14 discs with it and don't want to carry my JVC just for them.

admin
April 14th, 2003, 06:50 AM
Discs that can't read the last track are using Multisession protection that prevents accessing the last track. Microstudio does have a way around that, which you can then write to a separate CDR CDG disc and then import into Hoster.

Mediacloq protection is something that MTU cannot overcome currently. We have tried to work with Suncom (the authors of Mediacloq) to allow legal importing to a computer of the songs you have legally paid for! However, they refuse to even respond to our multiple contacts. MTU's position AGAINST PIRACY is well known and clearly stated in our Forums, web site and license agreements. However, Suncom apparently has no desire to work with anyone. My guess is they have no solution to this problem. Their "protection product" only offers a brick wall as far as end users are concerned. Their focus is solely on providing companies like SC with absolute protection that prevents backup.

Our Forums clearly state that to avoid the problem SC has created by using Mediacloq protection, you should not buy these discs. Demand from your distributors that you WILL NOT buy Mediacloq protected discs! Eventually SC will get the message. Your economic votes WILL make a difference!

It is not fair to ask a legal-focused company like MTU to break copyright protection means. That is not what we are in business to do. We believe every user has the right to make a legal backup copy. Copyright laws in the USA do NOT forbid this.

kjzone
April 14th, 2003, 08:42 AM
SoundChoice has discontinuted putting MediaCloq on their discs...

Apparently this is in response to Philips NV, the Netherlands (the patent holder) demands that they immediately stop using the MediaCloq, as it violates certain aspects of their patent.

Philips holds about 90% of all patents pertaining to CD authoring.

If you have a SoundChoice MediaCloq protected discs SoundChoice will replace these with a NON-MediaCloq Protected Disc by calling their 800 number.

djmadmaxx
April 14th, 2003, 03:11 PM
That's what i thought. Thanks

nreel
April 22nd, 2003, 10:29 AM
XP Pro SP1, AMD 1.7GHz, MTU Int. Plextor CDR on IDE 2, 512M ddr333 Ram, 120 GB ATA 133 7200 RPM Maxtor Int. HD. on IDE 1,
RADEON 9500 Pro 128DDR, Hoster (New Purchase) 2.011

I noticed that Track 15 on SC Multisession discs takes about 1.5 Hours to finish the "reading cdg" part of the IMPORT. So far, I have dealt with 4 SC discs, 8103, 8134, 8138, and 8140. I noticed tracks 15 on all of these discs are 6:22, 6:30, 6:31, and 6:10 (min and sec), respectively.

I have tried to just select track 15, in the Hoster “Import,” but, it reads about 2/3 of track 15 and virtually comes to a stand still. Import is only successful after about 1.5 hours (just track 15, mind you) and, then, finally, an error message appears stating that a block of audio could not be read. I "click," "OK," and then, compression/normalization/kma occurs to finish the IMPORT, which states that IMPORT has occurred. I, then, check the functionality, of the KMA file in question, in the "play list" and, so far, all is OK.

Has anyone experienced this anomaly in any earlier version of Hoster or experiencing this in the current version?

I have tried to copy these tracks under "Custom Assembly" in Microstudio, but I experience the same problem with all track 15's.

I purchased 2 MTU plextor Int Drives and experience the same on two separate computers ( 1 Plextor Drive in each computer).

I have tried to import track 15, of these “same” disc numbers, by using my "burned" backup copy...same problem.

I have tried to manually select different CDR DRIVE speeds...same problem.

My next step is to make a note of the tracks that take an inordinate amount of time, and use my Win98 computer and “other” CDG programs to rip and burn to TRACK 1 and see if that resolves the problem…even if I have to waste some 300 blank CDRs to do it (which is about how many SC discs I have). Since Track 15 has now become Track 1, I will then need to see if I can rename the KMA file back to SCXXXX-15, del the SONGS.mdb, and rebuild the database. DO YOU THINK THIS WILL WORK?

admin
April 23rd, 2003, 07:30 PM
We have had a number of users report that Sound Choice discs can take an incredible amount of time to import! Some have also reported that their custom discs, written with cheap, low quality media do the same! :e

The reason is the low quality media. This appears to cause the CDR drive to slow down to try to read the data from the tracks.

A simple solution is to use high quality MTU Silver media, and make a Duplicate Disc of your Sound Choice disc, then import the quality duplicated disc.

In the case of a Multisession disc, there are numerous examples in this forum how to import the last track.

If it is a Mediacloq disc, return it to SC for a replacement. :m

nreel
April 24th, 2003, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the reply, however, I did mention that I tried my backed-up Disc, but to no avail...but, I did not mention that the backup is on Mitsui silver, which all my backups are.

I suspect it is the "6 minute plus" song that is, so far, always the 15th Track on multi-session discs. Why else would the 15th track be more than 6 minutes?

On SC Multi-Session Discs, maybe the 15th track, being closest to the largest circumference of the disc, coupled with a larger 6-minute song, has something to do with the drive not being able to READ in a timely manner.

All I know is Microstudio had the same problem whether copying a single track or whole disc or any combination thereof.

Hey, I absolutely love all MTU's products and I only posted this as FYI to anyone who may benefit from my "fix."

I may have missed other posts dealing with this problem, but I do not recall any POST explaining how to work-around this problem.

Sorry if I missed them.

Thanks,

Norm

Wayne White
April 24th, 2003, 01:08 AM
http://forum.mtu.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1016

I copied this from another post and it doesn't appear to be a hyperlink anymore. Copy and paste it to you broser. Look for an explanation from DJNickieK on the first page. This deals only with how to get the 15th track to copy in microstudio. Once you've copied it. You can import the copy to Hoster with no problems.

True Media Clog is another story. I can import them using my old HP8100, but some people can't. It must be a combination of the Drive & Drivers. If Sound Choice is replacing these as someone else stated, the easiest thing to do, is just get the replacement disks.

Wayne

rsmith5102
April 24th, 2003, 02:27 AM
When importing Sound Choice on Microstudio....select all Songs, then delete the "last track", the mysterious "16" track, (or whatever it may appear as). While importing watch the last song imported, number 15. Watch the import status bar. when it stops responding, push the eject button on your cd player that your importing from. The message will respond that the process has been aborted, BUT the track 15 is still on your hard drive. Go back to Custom import and search the hard drive imported songs. It will be there and it does work. Just add that song to your list and it will be complete. I learned this from seasoned members when I first started with MTU products. Try, and see.
Good Luck,
Randy

nreel
April 24th, 2003, 05:40 AM
Believe me...I appreciate everything that has been pointed out.

However, under closer observation, this "Trick” adds almost 2 minutes to Track 15.

Hoster, when using "Auto Play," will not queue the next track until the time runs out on the track that is Playing.

I noticed this anomaly and re-imported Track 15 making sure I opened the CD player as fast as I could...I did this twice.

No matter how quick I was, 2 minutes was added to the song.

This was verified by viewing the "Songs.mdb."

I edited Track 15, in the "Songs.mdb, to show a 4:15 time frame verses the 7:02 "Imported" time. When placed in the "Play List," the initial time showed the edited time, but, upon activating the "Play," the timer shifted to 7:02.

Obviously, the time is calculated by the file size...this .KMA file is over 8 Meg.

I, then, instituted my above-mentioned "Work-Around" by:

1. Deleting the imported file from the HD
2. Ripping Track 15 with an alternate program
3. Burning CDG holding Track 15 to Physical Track 15
4. Imported in Hoster

I can report that this procedure worked 100% with the correct time showing:

1. On the time counter in the “Play List”
2. In the “Songs.mdb”

and the correct file size, that is now 6.3 Meg.

I can, also report, that I am a "seasoned pro" because I, not only solved the problem of properly importing SC Track 15 Multi-session discs 100%, I have brought to your attention a consequence of using the "Trick" method...a Karaoke show "slow down."

Thank you,
Norm

swaseysd
April 29th, 2003, 10:32 AM
Norm:

Second, if you're in Auto Play mode and using Randy's method, can't you just stop the player and move on to the next song manually, or will the player not stop at all until the extra two minutes is played out?

Thanks,

Steve D. Swasey
Dayton, Ohio

djmadmaxx
April 29th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Actually Sound Choice has not Made non media cloq reissues of discs 8700-8735, except for one or 2 discs. they have no pkans to do so and are going to implement mediacloq 2.0 as soon as they have it woirked out. so now i have to carry a player too just for 13 discs. Sound choice will refund me for the discs but there are too many good songs on them. i can't do without them.

dpreeves
June 29th, 2003, 04:03 PM
I have recently gotten 20 mediaclog discs replaced from Sound Choice and all have the dreaded track 15 problem. I have just been ejecting the disc, and living with the extra time, but as you said, space is getting to be a premium. Thanks

dpreeves
June 29th, 2003, 05:45 PM
I have imported most of the infamous Sound Choice track 15's from my multisession discs to .cdg files in microstudio. Is there a way to import to Hoster from those files, or will I have to make a custom assembly cd to read in Hoster and change numbering? Thanks

jaddams
June 29th, 2003, 06:07 PM
Steve,

The email capability via this board was disable because a comptetitor used it to spam users of this board with promotions for other products. :f

If you must contact someone through this board, you can use the private message capability right underneath the email option. :g :g

Regards,

Jon

nreel
June 30th, 2003, 01:29 PM
dpreeves

This is a POST from ADMIN in the:
Hoster Software>Hoster Help>CDG vs KMA Files

admin

That is correct
Presently, we have focused on importing discs and using our database to help fill in the fields for you.

We do expect to add an Import HD Tracks button to allow importing .cdg songs from the hard drive. However, you will have to fill in the Manufacturer, DiscID, Songname and Artist fields. So, when you import the song you will need to have this info ready.

Hoster Version 2.1 is expected to have this new button, but we have just started on it so I don't have a time estimate as of yet. It will probably be at least 3 months as a guestimate.

So, for now, you will need to BURN Track 15 to a Disc in order to IMPORT into Hoster because Hoster, currently, only allows IMPORTING from a Disc.

Hope this helps,

Norm

mikey1
August 5th, 2003, 10:07 PM
FYI Most newer Sound Choice disc are in a format called CD-Extra. I have been able to rip these tracks with Microstudio.