PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing for a different PC

mallorn
April 8th, 2003, 10:58 AM
Another dumb question I'm afraid - I'm building a PC for a friend who is a KJ... and he has decided to take the plunge to hoster.

The PC I am building won't have internet connectivity, and so I will be downloading on one PC to install on another. How will the ethernet card thing work? Will I have to install a network card in my download PC and then physically move it?

jaddams
April 10th, 2003, 06:30 AM
Mallorn,

There is no such a thing as a dumb question. :g

If you are building a new PC for your KJ friend, chances are that you are using a new motherboard. All decent motherboards manufactured within the last year HAVE built in Ethernet cards.

I suggest you use the computer your are building, (once it’s finished. :g) to download and register Hoster.

Good luck

Jon

mallorn
April 10th, 2003, 08:39 AM
Thanks Jon,

I think I'd come around to that conclusion... I know the new motherboard has network ports, so that should do the necessary.

What I think I'll do is connect my USB modem to the new PC and then download thru that. I DO respect any method of copy protection.

And looking around this site, I think my mate will be happy with HOSTER... looks like a good product.

mallorn
April 14th, 2003, 06:54 AM
So... I purchased a network card for the PC, installed my ADSL collection and ordered the software. Only to be told by the purchasing process that it didn't recognise me eamil address!

Frustrating. :m

admin
April 14th, 2003, 07:21 AM
Mallorn, I am unclear. Did you buy Hoster at our web store, or did your client?

Or... are you trying to buy it and having difficulty with the Loggon procedure? If so, ignore the loggon and just place your order without an account. Regretfully, our store software does not handle returning clients with an account very well. :s

You will need to have the email that Hoster was purchased with. This is how we access the proper client record in our database for registration.

You might want to wait until we release Hoster 2.0. Right now, I expect we will release today, Lord willing. This has a superior mode of registering the software. If you have purchased it already, you should receive an email shortly after we release it. This will give you instructions what to do.

We have spent a LOT of time and money to improve our Hoster registering process, and allow sales through dealers and distributors. We have a totally rewritten Installation program that now includes the MTUID.exe operation to get your Network ID we use. You will run this new Installation to install Hoster 2.0. We believe we have made this process much easier for everyone.

If you still have problems, email dougd@mtu.com with the buyer's name, address, email... anything you can to help us identify who they are. In fact, it would be best for the buyer to email us directly with instructions they want you to activate/install Hoster on the computer you are building for them, and provide us with your email and how to contact you. :w

mallorn
April 15th, 2003, 03:20 AM
I managed to get Hoster downloaded and installed last night, I hadn't realised that the registration process had a manual stage.

I was, however, impressed by the professionalism and tolerance of your team member Doug who guided me through the process.

Thanks guys.