PDA

View Full Version : HELP! How do you activate Ethernet

Ernie
April 3rd, 2003, 06:28 PM
If anyone knows how to fix this please advise!!! I had KPro, Microstudio etc. on my computer. I reformatted the hard drive, because of problems. I THOUGHT!!!... I backed up my KPro and Microstudio, but didn't!!!, so I had to order the upgrade ( Lesson Learned ) Today I received the upgrade, went to install it got Error #1. I then uninstalled KPro, reinstalled...same thing. Just out of curosity I wondered if anything had changed with my ethernet. I ran the program MTU has to detect and identify the ethernet, and it said, Network Adapter..NOT FOUND... Macid...NOT FOUND. The computer is about five months old. It has the motherboard GigabyteGA-7VAX. I had this computer put together. I did not buy an Ethernet Card, so I'm guessing it's in the motherboard. How do I get the Ethernet back?

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED

Thanks,
Ernie

jaddams
April 3rd, 2003, 07:50 PM
Ernie,

There are different versions of Windows. The sequence in checking for, and activating your Ethernet card change somewhat between some of them.

Which version of Windows are you running?

Jon

Ernie
April 3rd, 2003, 11:04 PM
Jon,
I am using windows 98SE.... Also, I went to Control Panel, System, Device Manager... in Other Devices there are two yellow question marks. One says PCI Eithernet Controler, and right underneath that, the other says, PCI Universal Serial Bus. Don't know if this helps.

Ernie

kjzone
April 4th, 2003, 09:42 AM
Ernie........

Let's say you have a dial-up 56K modem installed with your Win98.

Go to Control Panel/Network

and you will see under configuration

Dial-Up Adaptor
TCP/IP

You have to install the drivers that will also add the entries:

Dial-Up Adaptor for Ethernet
TCP/IP for Ethernet

This should do it.

Ernie
April 4th, 2003, 11:22 AM
KJzone,
In the note that I sent to Jon, right above your note, I have info on the yellow question mark. When I clicked both items, it said they needed drivers. I tried to download the drivers from the win98 disk, but it couldn't find any. I also tried the modem disc... same results. I even tried the motherboard disc and nothing. I don't know where to find drivers! I got into Google and I found a driver program trial version called Drivermagic Pro. If you can't tell me where to find drivers, should I try that?
When I went to Network in Control Panel I found:
Dial-Up Adapter
Dial-Up Adapter #2 (VPN Support)
TCP/IP-> Dial- Up Adapter
TCP/IP-> Dial- Up Adapter #2 (VPN Support)

I appreciate you helping me!!!

Ernie

kjzone
April 4th, 2003, 12:00 PM
Ernie.........

Your ethernet card should come with drivers......If just purchased

If it came already installed in your computer should be on your Master CD Rom that comes with the computer.

Ernie
April 4th, 2003, 04:54 PM
Kjzone,
I called the people I bought the computer from, and was told I needed to install the drivers for my modem??? When I reformatted the hard drive, I could not get the modem to reinstall. PNP just did not recognise it, and I did install the drivers. I had an old cheap modem, and it installed without a problem. I'm guessing I have to try and install the original modem with the drivers??? If I can't get the modem to install, what's my next move?
Gotta question... When I ran the program that MTU has to identify the ethernet, then why didn't it recognise the other modem, because I installed drivers for that???
Sorry to ask so many questions. I wish Plug N Play worked the way it's suppose to. It would probably help if I knew more about computers!!

Thanks,
Ernie

PS The original modem that wouldn't install is a 3COM U.S. Robotics Model 3094 PCI Modem. In case that makes any difference.

kjzone
April 4th, 2003, 05:08 PM
Ernie........

As far as I know the Modem Drivers have nothing to do with those for the Ethernet Card.

These are two different types of Hardware.

The MTU program doesn't identify your modem, only your Ethernet Card.

Some Master Restore CD's (such as my HP) allows me to re-install drivers for various software and hardware. Example: I can re-install the Ethernet Card, or the SoundCard Drivers, the DVD Rom Drivers, etc.

jaddams
April 4th, 2003, 05:16 PM
Ernie,

You must have a working Ethernet card in your computer to run KPro and if you don’t have high speed Internet access, you also would need a working modem.

Tell your computer seller this is exactly what you need.

Your old modem, or for that matter, a new modem will not let you register and run HPro without a working Ethernet card.

Once you have that issue resolved, we will get you going.

Let me repeat:

You MUST HAVE a working Ethernet card in your computer AND a working modem IF you don’t have high speed Internet access like cable modem or DSL.

Please post back.

Good luck

Jon

kjzone
April 4th, 2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Ernie
Dial-Up Adapter
Dial-Up Adapter #2 (VPN Support)
TCP/IP-> Dial- Up Adapter
TCP/IP-> Dial- Up Adapter #2 (VPN Support)
Ernie

Ernie.....you apparently have your modem drivers installed.
From the text above doesn't look like you have your Ethernet Card (Drivers) Installed.

Don't think the "#2 (VPN Support) is the Ethernet Device, but some other device

If you have a USB Port, suggest you get from RadioShack, about $39.00 Linksys 10/100 Compact USB Network Adapter and pull out the Ethernet Card in your computer (since you can't find the drivers for) maybe the fastest solution.

Ernie
April 6th, 2003, 10:05 PM
Kjzone,
Success!! My motherboard book didn't say anything about having an Ethernet. I got on the Gigabyte website, just to be sure, and found my motherboard does have the Ethernet on the board. I was then able to download the drivers off the Motherboard disc, and everything works!!! The first thing I'm going to do after this note is make a copy. I did fiind a great place for drivers from my Son-in-law... drivers.com
Kjzone & Jon I really appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Thank you,
Ernie

jaddams
April 6th, 2003, 10:14 PM
Ernie,

Glad you got it working. :g

Enjoy. :c

Regards,

Jon