PDA

View Full Version : Hoster Errors

JohnnyR
March 7th, 2003, 08:57 PM
I am a new user of Hoster 1.208 and seem to be having a couple of problems. I am running on a 1.8 GHZ P4 with 512 MB and an ATI RAdeon 8500 (128mb) video card. Whenever, I am running Hoster and I close it out while a song is playing I generate an error in WIN XP, and XP wants to send microsoft an error report. When Hoster is not playing anything and it is closed no problem.

Also, I have moved Hoster from one machine to another and tried to move the KMA files from the first machine. When I run the rebuild song database after the initial Hoster install no records appear in the playlist. I have followed the manual and the recommendations in some of the posts - no luck. It appears to be a relatively simple process, but I have not had any success in making it work.

Any ideas?

George
March 7th, 2003, 10:25 PM
Regarding the error report when you close out while playing. Do not close out while playing. Click the stop button first. MTU did not consider it normal practice for a kj to close out in the middle of a song. This may be addressed in some future update is my understanding..

No experience transferring Hoster from pc to pc so can't answer that one.

Mr Music
March 8th, 2003, 03:12 AM
When rebuiding the database with KMA file you still need the data base installed in Hoster.

MM

kedmison
March 8th, 2003, 10:30 PM
I think this has been address once before but not sure where or the out come. I have now finally loaded my laptop. Have approximately 5,000 songs at 96k compression. The music is awsome coming through my system. Plan on using in my show next week. However,...in between songs I get "computer noise" coming through my system. To the point where it is really annoying. I could mute everything until the song starts but don't feel like I should have to. I have everything in my system plugged into the same circut. I am using a Mackie CFX12 mixer. 2 Mackie SM450 powered speakers and the powered Mackie subwoofer.

Is anyone else getting these "little noises" coming from there computer? Any ideas on how to eliminate them?

Thanks,

Kelly

George
March 8th, 2003, 10:45 PM
Kelly, found this. There's two people that said essentially the same thing.

George
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mikedombroski
Growing Member

you guys are not alone. We did some testing on the laptop and found this to be a ground loop in what appers to be the laptop power supply. The only way to get rid of this is to lift the earth ground by using a 3 plug to 2 adapter.

BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE!!!! WHEN YOU DO THIS YOU MUST PLUG EVERYTHING IN THE SAME POWER STRIP. DO NOT PLUG THE COMPUTER IN ONE PLUG IN THE WALL AND THE REST OF YOUR EQUIPMENT IN ANOTHER.

ALSO MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT LIFT ANY OTHER GROUND. I AM NOT TELLING YOU TO DO THIS. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. AS OF RIGHT NOW THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO GET RID OF THE NOISE.

THIS NOISE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR DISC OR HOSTER ITS COMMING FROM THE LAPTOP IF YOU WANT TO CHECK THIS UNPLUG THE LAPTOP FROM THE WALL AND USE JUST THE BATTERY. THE NOISE WILL GO AWAY.

HAVE A GOOD ONE MIKE.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the other one

Wayne White

Search....Noise ?
As far as the NOISE ISSUE from before; anytime I have any unwanted Buzz, etc coming through, I try the 3 to 2 ground lifts, if this doesn't work there are actually ground loops that are RCA cables with a resister in the middle that sometimes works, but, my laptops DO NOT make noises that come through my sound system. Hard discs grinding is not an audio signal & should not be picked up by the sound card. The sound is no different from my CDG Players, except I do have to run the Mixer at a higher volume, probably due to the normalization used in the import process.

kedmison
March 9th, 2003, 10:25 AM
Thanks George,

I will try both of those.

Kelly

kedmison
March 9th, 2003, 12:06 PM
It Worked,

Putting a 2 prong adapter on the 3 prong plug end, removed all the excess noise from the laptop. Had another idea I want to pass on.... several of you like me are moving from the 400 disc player to Hoster. When importing my songs I simply used the Book ID as the Song number. In my old Cd player for example I had ie. 182-12. That same song is now 18212 in Hoster. This will alow you to use the same song books in case your laptop went down or you were having it repaired. Just a little "NASA" back up idea. Thanks for the help George!

Kelly