PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet Id Query

Eric Whitehouse
February 22nd, 2003, 08:27 AM
When I eventually upgrade to Hoster 2 when it's released. Will
I be able to change my existing internal Ethernet ID to my new recently bought Ethernet adapter so as I can swap between computers and take on the road to gigs?
:?

Beavis
February 22nd, 2003, 10:41 AM
GOOD LUCK !!!!

admin
February 22nd, 2003, 01:22 PM
Eric, Hoster security locks it to run on one computer. If you want to run the same Hoster on more than one computer, but only one at a time, you need to have a USB Ethernet module that you can unplug from one computer and plug into the other. If you have not used a USB module for your protection, we have a problem.

We have priced Hoster for use on a single computer. There are many users who want multiple copies of Hoster to run multiple shows simultaneously. We are counting on individual sales as well as their multiple sales to help fund the very large development expense we have incurred over the past 4 years.

Further, the thefts we have had in the past year (most of them in the UK) with our software appearing on crack sites has forced us to go to hardware based security that cannot be swapped with others.

Please read my post in the KPro Help Forum (http://forum.mtu.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1887) addressing this point.

Bevis, your experience with us early on before we got our act together allowed you to circumvent our ill-formed corporate policies and get two Serial Numbers under the older scheme. You knew very well that you were violating our rules when you made your requests.

We are no different from other professional software companies who protect their investments. Maybe we are even a little more advanced than some.

So what is the outcome? Because each of copy of Hoster in use is paid for, we will have more income to continue adding features and providing support. If you don't agree with our right to be paid for each copy, I'll listen to you. However, after 32 years of developing and selling software, and being the first company in the world to load software from a flppy disc into a microcomputer (June, 1973) that started the "open architecture" design to run applications and upgrade the operating system, there isn't much I haven't heard already. :w

Eric Whitehouse
February 22nd, 2003, 01:49 PM
Dear Admin,

Re: Your Comments as follows:
"If you want to run the same Hoster on more than one computer, but only one at a time, you need to have a USB Ethernet module that you can unplug from one computer and plug into the other. If you have not used a USB module for your protection, we have a problem."

I have just purchased USB module for the sole purpose of being able to do the above function of unplugging from one computer and plugging into my rack mounted computer for Stage operation.
I have no intention now or in the future of running more than one system. Is there any way we can get around this. Do you want me to return to you my internal Ethernet card. Suggestions please.

Beavis
February 22nd, 2003, 02:03 PM
i am only running one show !!!!! things happen to hardware and in my case it was just that !!

no dis-respect MTU !!

Eric Whitehouse
February 23rd, 2003, 11:08 AM
I think I need to explain this a little more clearly.

Until recently, I had only one PC - my home PC which I use to run MTU software - . This PC was not conencted to a network, so had no Ethernet adaptor.

I then heard about Hoster and prompty purchased it. I had to borrow an Ethernet adaptor from my son to get it to work.

Our plan was to use the home computer to encode the 400-odd disks, and then purchase the necessary hardware (rack-mounted PC) to take out on the road.

We've now encoded nearly all the disks, and I've purchased the other PC to take out on the road.

So, I now need a new key to replace the old one - so I can get it to work on the new PC. I also have to give back the borrowed Ethernet adaptor.

Is this possible?

Also, will I need two keys - one for the MTU suite comprising of Micro Studio, KPro, Vogone and Keywrite, and another for Hoster - seeing as they are both being used on two separate computers?

regards,
Eric

kedmison
February 23rd, 2003, 03:47 PM
I have emailed Doug of MTU but maybe someone can answer this before tomorrow. When I purchased my laptop with hoster, the DVD drive would not play a CDG. With my laptop I received an external Plextor which is great. I now understand that they have a CDG drive for the laptop, which will elminate me from having to take an external drive to my shows. My question is that my Hoster program still does not allow me to "play" a CDG. Is there a newer upgrade to Hoster that I am unaware of? Also how difficult is it to replace my DVD drive with the new CDG drive?

Thanks,

Kelly

Beavis
February 23rd, 2003, 06:58 PM
MTU needs to make a program that just imports songs for hoster!!!!!!!!!

MTUSUPPORT
February 26th, 2003, 03:41 PM
Kelly,
In you case with the Laptop it is pretty simple to remove the DVD drive to replace it with the drive that will do CD+G. What you would need to do is look at the bottom of the computer, there will be a little door towards the back of the 2 CD-Rom bays. There are 3 screws in this. You will just need to take these 3 screws out. Then on the side of this panel, where the TV Tuner is, there are two tiny screws one on either corner, these hold the CD-Rom drives in. You will need to take the one out that will then allow you to push on the little tab, that the screw is holding down. Once you push on this with a Screwdriver, the CD-Rom will then slide out. You can then pull it out. There will be 4/5 tiny screws that hold the CD-Rom/DVD drive into the bracket. You will just need to remove these screws, put your new Laptop CD+G capable drive in, and remount everything. Then you will be up and running.

There is not a new version of Hoster as of yet. The next version will allow playing from CD-Rom. We should have it ready for beta test in the next week or so.