PDA

View Full Version : takes 45 min to load one 45 min disc.

kenpattx
February 10th, 2003, 06:44 PM
:? :? We just got our new laptop from MTU on Thurs. and just now am able to start loading cdgs and the first one (45 min long) took 45 min to load. I know it's supposed to be faster. I'm now loading disc #2 and it has imported 4 songs in 16 min. My settings for the plextor is auto (Bryan Cox walked me thru it when we lost everything) What can I do to speed it up. I have over 10,000 songs to load. I'll be too old to do karaoke at this rate. HELP Pat McCracken:? :?

PastMember
February 11th, 2003, 02:26 AM
Osmosis won't do it for you....

Keep in mind that each track runs anywhere from 20,000,000 bytes of info. to well over 50 MILLION... That's a LOT of data... then of course it must be compressed, (maybe normalized) and then of course, rewritten back to the drive....

If your 45 minute disc took 45 mins. to import, then you need to check your original disc.... it probably is either dirty or scratched.

The software will do as much "error correction" as it can when it imports a disc.... if the disc is dirty, coated with nicotine, or just has a lot of little scratches in it, the software will have to take more time to do this error correction.

I make sure that each disc is absolutely clean before I attempt to import it.... If it is clean, it takes me approximately 50 SECONDS to import a 4 1/2 min. song with a "clean" disc.

If that fails, try this: Copy the disc with Microstudio first and then import the copy.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel though: you only have to do it once....

BTW, if you want to avoid committing suicide at a later date, invest in an external hard drive and keep a backup copy of your songs there.... if... and only if..... your hard drive crashes in the middle of a show, you won't have to spend this same time importing them again.... You can purchase an external 120 gig drive direct from MTU I'm sure...

kenpattx
February 11th, 2003, 10:25 AM
thanks for the info....I didn't know the stats that you gave me and it is interesting. BUT. The discs that I am using to import the songs are BRAND NEW. We bought another Chartbuster Essential 450 pack and they are being used for the first time. Here is the story. When we first got into this, we used all original disks (fear) then last year started making copies of our originals as we bought them and used the copies. When I made copies of the new discs I made 2..one to use and one to archive. I reallly wanted protection. We have over 800 cdg's so you know the investment. I bought the MTU laptop, and purchased an external 80 gib HD and am loading the songs into it. After I get all my songs loaded, I am going to get another external HD and load it. I will be well covered then, I HOPE. I got my laptop on Thurs. and had problems, but MTU came thru and now I'm loading, SLOWLY> it could only happen to me. Pat:r :r

George
February 11th, 2003, 10:36 AM
Pat,
Have you gone into TOOLS and made sure the Auto Check boxes in the speeds settings are checked? If they are, try unchecking them and manually selecting the speeds just to see if it will make any diffrence.
George

kenpattx
February 11th, 2003, 10:52 AM
Yes, when Bryan Cox at MTU walked me thru , he had me set the speed at AUTO. thanks Pat

MTUSUPPORT
February 11th, 2003, 11:39 AM
KenPatx,
Have you tried some other discs to see if its only this disc thats slowing it down?

Let me know what you find.

PastMember
February 11th, 2003, 12:09 PM
Some factory-pressed discs are just plain hard-to-read by cd-rom drives. I'd suggest you try importing the "cleanest" copy.