PDA

View Full Version : Synaptics Touchpad mouse movement problem - and solution!

Wayne White
February 1st, 2003, 01:17 PM
Any body got any ideas how to change this setting?

When I move my mouse pointer, it sometimes assumes that I want to click objects I pass over. Last night at a show, I stopped songs twice because the Laptop thought I wanted to select the Stop button while I was moving to the Add from HD Button. I don't think this is a Hoster problem, but a setting in the operating system. If I move the curser into a scroll down area, it automatically starts scrolling.

I looked at the Mouse settings & there doesn't appear to be a place to turn this on & off.

Wayne

kedmison
February 1st, 2003, 02:49 PM
Wayne,

Haven't started using my Hoster at shows yet; still copying my discs to the laptop. While copying and pasting artist and song title I too have had happen what your describing. I don't think it's an "automatic" type setting; I think it's more to do with the sesitivity settings. I think sometimes the pressure from my finger is greater than others. Haven't taken the time to check it out but definetly will before I take it on the road.

Kelly

Wayne White
February 2nd, 2003, 01:53 PM
Kelly

Your reply got me thinking. I went back through and found the culprit. The Synaptics Touchpad was set to accept 'tapping' as a left mouse click (in the center zone). I think I must have left the pointer over the Play/Stop & then when I started to move it, touching the pad was interpretted as a 'tap'.

I disabled the 'tapping feature' so now the touchpad does not act as a left mouse click. Here is the path I followed, in case anyone else runs into this problem.

Start / Settings / Control Panel / Mouse / Device Settings (tab) / Settings (button) - You will see a directory, highlight/select 'Tapping' - You should see a checked box "Enable Tapping" - uncheck the box and click Apply. This was in Windows XP, other operating systems may be a little different, but, you should still be able to do it.

Wayne

kedmison
February 2nd, 2003, 09:39 PM
Wayne,

Thanks for the info.

Kelly