PDA

View Full Version : Question for Admin.

lpwalsh
December 17th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Is the problem with Pioneer CDG's being addressed?

admin
December 18th, 2002, 09:03 PM
Get your store download email and click the download link again. You will now get Hoster 1.208. It has everything fixed that you need fixed... including Pioneer discs. :c

kedmison
December 22nd, 2002, 08:37 PM
Need Help:

Here's my situation....I currently have about 218 discs that I have compiled from from originals using Microstudio. So needless to say all these discs are "compiled discs." And they have multi brands on them. I feel like it would be easier to load these "complied" discs into my Hoster laptop, than to go back through all my originals and have to sort out just the ones I need. Now,...doing it this way what numbers should I begin using for my book ID# and Disc #. The other questions is if there are now now longer any actual discs so to speak, why couldn't I just use a song number? If any body understands what I trying to say let me know your thoughts. thanks,

Kelly

George
December 22nd, 2002, 08:55 PM
Kelly, don't see where that would be any different than using cdg's produced with KHP. Import under "Custom Assembly" and assign each disc whatever book and disc ID you wish, entering the song title and artist as you normally would. Just make sure to use a disc id that's unique and not duplicated by a commercial manufacturer. Could be your first and last initials and a sequential number(T?0001,T?0002, etc.)based on the numbering system you are used to.

Merry Christmas to you and yours,

George

kedmison
December 22nd, 2002, 09:48 PM
George,

Guess I'm being dense, but with Hoster there are no actual discs in the system. Why can't there be just a song number? I suppose I am looking down the road when I get in a Chartbuster disc that has only 3 songs on it that I need; I would take this disc and import those three songs into Hoster; but it seems it would be crazy to assign a disc # for just three songs. Guess I'm still not hearing what I need to make it clear. As always. I appreciate your help. Hope you and yours have a great Christmas also.

Kelly

George
December 22nd, 2002, 10:20 PM
Kelly,
True there are no discs in Hoster But the database is set up to identify the commrcial discs you import, and all that info is on the database(assuming that particular brand and disc is identified in the database).
if you look at the manner in which you set up a play list, you have to enter a brand, then the disc id which is already in the database, then it gives you the options of which track number you want from that particular disc id. So if you imported your compliation discs through Custom Assembly you would use the same format:

Brand...T?
Disc ID..T?0001
Track....01

If I'm hearing you correctly and you want to assign a number to each track you are probably going to have to import each track individually, and still use the same format. This being the case wouldn't it make more sense to import whole discs at a time, considering the quantity you have to deal with?

So what would be the harm in assigning a disc ID to just three tracks, or at that time importing them one at a time if you chose to.

I was going to send you a private message, but noticed you overlooked enabling it.

George

kedmison
December 22nd, 2002, 10:47 PM
George,

Think the light finally came on. For example those first 218 compiled discs could be done as such; ie,

Brand - Kee
Disc ID# - 0001 - 0218
Track # 01

Also fixed private message for future use. Thanks so much.

Kelly

PS won't all discs regardless if they are compiled or original intact have to follow the disc ID# in a numerical sequence?

George
December 22nd, 2002, 10:53 PM
Kelly,
I don't believe that would matter on the compiled ones, just might be easier to keep them organized. if you wish to reserve some numbers, for future inserts, for example, it shouldn't matter.

The commercial ones that are in the database already have brand, disc id, and track#s assigned. You decide what number you want as your book number.

Take care,
George

kedmison
December 26th, 2002, 07:31 PM
Okay,

I have loaded a couple of discs into Hoster. (My MTU laptop) There are two things I am now having trouble with.

1. I have a s-video casble going to the video input on my TV, however it shows everything that is on my laptop. How do I get it to only show the lyrics while letting me see what I want to on the laptop?

2. I have a Mackie CFX -12 mixer. I have the Mackie SRM450 powered speakers. And the Mackie subwoofer. I have tried to connect the laptop to the mixer. At the present time I only see running a cable from the ear out of the laptop to my mixer. I do get some audio, but very indistinguishable and a low but unacceptable hum. What's wrong?:f

Kelly

George
December 26th, 2002, 10:08 PM
Kelly, regardng the first part of your post, if you are seeing everything that's on the pc desktop on the tv, then it apperars the dual display is in "Clone" mode and needs to be set in "Extended Desktop" mode. At least that's what they are called in the ATI Radeon 7500 setup. With the ATI setup it's simply a matter of going into the Help portion covering Extended Desktop and following the directions. When not playing a track, all you should see on the tv is the wallpaper, no taskbars, shortcuts,etc.
Don't know what video card is in the laptop, but would bet the principle is the same. Hope this helps getting you looking in the right direction

Can't answer the audio portion Not familiar with the equipment

Take care,
George

Beavis
December 27th, 2002, 09:50 AM
make sure you have the proper cable for your computer! it could be a mono cable & your only getting one side.

MTUSUPPORT
December 27th, 2002, 03:01 PM
Kelly,
Please try doing the following for me. Some of the systems we found had a bad driver installed, and I should have removed them before it left, but it may have gotten overlooked. You can go to the Start Menu\ Settings\ Control Panel\ Add Remove Programs. Under here you want to find where it shows Avance AC97, I think is what it shows. Click on this and tell it to Remove. Once it has done this, reboot the computer. Then it should say it found new hardware, which it will find the Windows XP driver for the Audio board and then it should work.

George was correct on how to set the Dual Display, just make sure tha the Svideo cable is plugged in when you boot the computer and that the Tv is also turned on.

kedmison
December 27th, 2002, 05:40 PM
Bryan,

Thanks, Got the video working ok. However, the audio is some better but not as good as with my cd player. Since my last post I have found the source of the humming noise. I have a S-video cable going from the laptop to the video input on the TV. With the cable connected to the TV there is a loud humming noise. When I unplugged the cable from the TV it quits. Any suggestions?

Kelly

Wayne White
December 27th, 2002, 05:49 PM
We run into this is some bars where their TV system has obviously got wiring switched somewhere. A simple inexpensive solution is a ground lift (the little plugs that allow you to plug a 3 prong grounded plug into a non-grounded outlet). Not sure if it will solve your problem, but this is my first step anytime my system buzzes/hums when I hook into the TVs and it quits when I unplug the TV.

Wayne

MTUSUPPORT ADDED: Wayne, we have also found that these are needed with the laptops that we are selling. We have found t here is a grounding issue somwhere within them, that will send some noise out to the stereo. The fix is as you stated a Ground Lift Plug from Radioshack. The part Number is: 61-2720. It can be found at: http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=61%2D2720

kedmison
December 27th, 2002, 06:00 PM
Wayne,

The funny thing is, it DOESN'T QUIT when I unplug the TV! ONLY when I unplug the cable from the TV! Go figure???

Kelly:?

kedmison
December 27th, 2002, 06:05 PM
My TV serves double duty. When it's not on the road I have it hooked up to "Cable" in my studio. Finally dawned on me to disconnect the "Cable" (NOT S-Video). Humming quit. Thanks for the help though. Everyone.

Kelly

George
December 27th, 2002, 06:07 PM
Glad you're up and running.

George

Wayne White
December 27th, 2002, 06:09 PM
Have you tried another TV? Plugged the TV into the same power strip as your computer? It may be another appliance / coming through your plug in your laptop is plugged into. I would put a ground lift on a power strip, & plug both the TV & PC into the power strip & see if it goes away. These kind of problems are the worst, cause it's not usually your equipment, it's something else in the building.

Wayne

Wayne White
December 27th, 2002, 06:11 PM
Glad you figured it out.

Wayne

kedmison
December 27th, 2002, 06:15 PM
Thanks, George, Wayne and Bryan. Got the hum gone...Video is doing great. But have one other thing I noticed. When music isn't playing; if the computer is doing anything; if I'm moving the mouse or clicking on a tab; the mixer picks up every grunt and groan the computer makes.

Also on the display tab of Hoster...it doesn't seem to be working as fasr as being able to insert graphics or wallpaper. Where are we at on this??

Again, Thanks guys.

Kelly

kedmison
December 27th, 2002, 06:27 PM
Wayne and George,

What compression ratio are you finding the best? 128 0r 96 or something else?

Kelly

George
December 27th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Kelly,
If you'll notice, on the display tab, the options are greyed out. They will be forthcoming in the final version as far as I know.

George

George
December 27th, 2002, 06:35 PM
I got in the habit of using 128. Really no reason, I just chose middle ground. Not much discernable difference at any ratio in audio quality with this pair of ears. Can't really give you a definitave answer on that one.

George

kedmison
December 27th, 2002, 07:05 PM
George,

I believe I'm going with the 128 myself. Just got through trying the same song at each. My wife can't sing her way out of a bucket. But she still seems to have an ear. I asked her opinion and she agreed with me that the 128 sounded better. Can't get as many songs on a drive at 128 as with 96 but I want the sound to be right. And after all I have a 60 gig drive. Not sure how many songs that will relate to at 128. 15,000 maybe?

Kelly

George
December 27th, 2002, 09:28 PM
Kelly,
You got me curious.
Just for kicks I just went into my kma files and selected 10 random tracks. They averaged 2.6 mg. per track at 128 compression. Just decide how much space you're going to reserve for tracks and divide by 2.6 and you'll be reasonably close. Using an average of 15 songs per cd it would look like 60 gb would hold around 1400 cdg's, or 21000 songs.

Have fun,

George

Wayne White
December 29th, 2002, 12:15 PM
I used 128 and they sound great. I got 5,500 songs on just less than 27 Gig at this compression. I never really tried any other ratios. I tried this & hooked it up to my PA & it sounded good to me, so I went with it.

Wayne

kedmison
January 5th, 2003, 02:28 PM
I recieved my Hoster and MTU laptop during the Thanksgiving Holidays. Working two jobs has slowed up my process of loading my discs into my laptop. I have finally decided on 128 compression and have learned how to manuever using the laptop (Not having had one before) My biggest problem at present is trying to import the songs in an easy retrieveable manner.

My first question is how do you delete a book id or disc id from the list? I have even gone into the data base istelf to delte and it still comes up.

My other concern is that with all the reason I am finding Hoster so great to use, I am thoroughly disgusted with the importing sytem. I'm sure it's great for many but here is my concern or complaint. I have over 200 discs that have been compiled using Microstudio over the last year. I want to use these since they are already compiled and will not have to change my books as far as import order. Why couldn't there be a simple one # for each song? As I understand the system for I.e. if I get a new disc in tomorrow and it only has one song on it that I need; I have to assign a brand new disc ID # to import it. Unlike a lot of KJ's I carry only one song version by each artist. I only put in my system the song manf. that I think sounds as close to the original. Do I get many complaints? NO. I don't need a track # in a computer list of songs. I had hoped to look at Hoster as a giant jukebox. 1 number; one song. Don't get me worng. I think MTU is the best out there; best product, best service. I'm just sounding off on one part of it that has had me pulling my hair out at this moment. If anyone understands this frustion, let me know what you have done. Thanks.

Kelly

admin
January 5th, 2003, 02:52 PM
I understand your delima. The Main Database holds standard Manuf. Brands and DiscIDs to make naming the songs much faster as it is automated. With a custom disc as you have, there is nothing we can do to help with the naming. Only you know what is there.

The BookID and Track# will give you a single number for your Song Book for your singers. You are desiring a modification to that and it is possible... at the expense of a bit more of your time.

I thought about this and the only thing you can do is accept the BookID-Track# we are set up to work with. We would have to rewrite the BookID code, and THAT... was THE most expensive part of the Hoster code. In other words, don't hold your breath for a rewrite of this. We're talking a very high expense.

I think your main problem is changing the way you number your songs. Your singers won't have a problem. Everyone else has accepted it and I encourage you to do the same. It is a mental thing that won't change your show at all.

I truly wish I could offer you a custom solution, but its not feasible... at least right now to help you getting into the system. :f

kedmison
January 5th, 2003, 02:59 PM
Okay, I'll by all that and learn to make it fit.. Could you please tell me how to delete a song or book ID that is already in the system?

Kelly

kedmison
January 5th, 2003, 03:10 PM
Okay, maybe I have missuderstood this all along. If I now understand this right,..the only number I have to be concerned with is the BookID#. Right???? This will replace my current Disc# Track #.? Each song will have a different BookID#. Also again, please tell me how to delete anything I currently have imported. Thanks so much.

Kelly

Wayne White
January 5th, 2003, 06:02 PM
Kelly

I don't know whether you have considered this & it may take some time, but avoid typing so much.

Go back & import you original discs (instead of your compiled).

If you know which songs you want, you don't have to import all of the tracks, but, using the manufacturers disc avoids you having to key all of the data. Of course, you can import all of them and then go through the songlist and delete the ones you don't want.

You asked how to delete. I'm sure you can locate the directory the KMA files are going into & delete each track that you don't wan't.

To delete from the 'songlist', you need to open it. I don't know whether you have MS Access, but, you may be able to edit it without it. It should be at this path c:\program files\micro technology unlimited\hoster\databases\songs.mdb

Double click on this and it should open and allow you to delete rows (songs you don't want). Do not delete the entire DB. If you want to delete all of the songs in it, click the little square just to the left of MfgName, this will select the entire file, pressing the delete key will delete all lines/rows/songs.

To delete individual selections, just click the square to the left of the track you want to delete. Holding down shift will allow you to select multiple records in sequence. Holding down cntl will allow you to select multiple records that are not adjoining.

Hope this is helpful.

Wayne

kedmison
January 5th, 2003, 06:41 PM
I didn't have Access loaded but I did and that helped delete the file I needed. Now another question,...I realize now that the only important # is the Book ID. I guess if it had been called song ID I would have caught on earlier; should I start off with book ID#01, 1 or what? I noticed that when I imported the first disc it was labeled BookID 1, but when you go to the play list to bring it up it shows 101. What gives? Again thanks,

Kelly

admin
January 5th, 2003, 06:56 PM
BookID 1 with track 01 will be 101, track 02 will be 102, and track 15 will be 115. BookID 10 with track 01 will be 1001, track 02 will be 1002, and track 15 will be 1015. We had to add the leading zero to get everything to sort out properly in the Song Book and the list boxes for Add HD Track.

We suggest you just let Hoster auto assign them with the NEXT button. Then you never have to worry about it. However, you CAN enter a number if you want. If Hoster finds one already in use, it doesn't reuse it, but assigns the next lowest number if finds each time it searches the Songs.mdb database (where the BookIDs are stored).

We went through so much jirations to get the BookID (some of our valued clients really kept hounding us for this), that we never considered naming it SongID. That's a pretty good name actually. We may change it... and irk the ire of everyone... :? :e :?

kedmison
January 5th, 2003, 07:11 PM
Oh well,

Whatever you want to call it is fine. I'm just glad that now I understand it. Guess it was one of those things that was obvious to everyone but me. But when it comes down to it, IT IS the song ID. That's the one number that stays in order. In the beginning I had loaded the same disc about 5 times at different compressions to find which one sounded best. (Ended up with 128) In trying to play with it and bring up a certain song I found myself going to the DiscID# to find it. This seemed stupid since there were'nt any discs> I kept trying to figure out why there wasn't a # for just the song. Wayne's post finally jogged my mind clear and realized the Book ID# was the SongID#"

I'll leave you all alone for awhile (I Hope) Have lots of copying to do!:g

Kelly

Bleweyes
February 8th, 2003, 03:02 PM
Kedmison,
I have had those type problems before. One way I have fixed them is to reverse the polarity by pluging the power cable to the tv in backwards. Sounds crazy but it does work at times.:?

S. Parks
February 28th, 2003, 06:45 AM
I experienced the same problem with my laptop, a Gateway 400 series. The problem had nothing to do with the TV moniter, but rather the sound card. What I did was add a MAYA 5.1 USB audio interface. They can be found at BPM.com and they sell for about $130. They export the sond via a USB slot, and the results is crystal clear. they also enable you to use a laptop to import into a home system, and achieve 5.1 digital surround sound. There are cheaper, but similar devices that do the same thing, but you'll have to do a little research. Hope this helps.:g