PDA

View Full Version : hoster disc id#

mikedomi
November 12th, 2002, 06:12 PM
:r think about this .for the dj/kj that have more than one system if you own two sets of disc or you buy two or more hoster to impeg faster you have a problem. the problem is hoster is not set up to combine two hard drives to make one .it has no way to pick up dup id number and give you the chance to change the id # in the kma file . so when you rebuild the data base you don't screw up all that work you have done. if you have 1000 disc and your lucky enough to do 5 an hour and you dont have the time to do this your self . and you can find some to do this for you .lets say for 10.00 an hour you do the math sure is a lot of money to spend so you dont have to carry your disc around .look mtu has done a great job with a new baby. but kjs have to back of with things like key change and let them focus on more important things like data base and multiple hard drive fuction.do you really want to spend 250 hours do 1 set of disc thank you mike

kedmison
November 13th, 2002, 08:24 AM
I have finally ordered the laptop and Hoster. Have been giving lot's of thought to what changes I will have to make from the 4oo disc player to the laptop and the idea of song numbers came to mind. With Hoster there will no longer be a need for Disc # 6 Track # 11, etc. What numbering system have those of you who have made the switch gone with?

Kelly

Beavis
November 13th, 2002, 10:39 AM
you can choose between book i.d. (single number) and your method.

mikedomi
November 13th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by BEAVIS
you can choose between book i.d. (single number) and your method. hi i under stand that .the point i am trying to make is if you are impeging on more than 1 computer when you go to move your files to one .and you make a mistake and duplcate a number you will screw up your data base.and 2 was the time factor of useing only 1 comp. it would be nice if hoster would find this mistake and let you know before it happens.no one has a lot of time .so we need to be able to work on more then 1 compt. to cut your time in 1/2 or by1/3 time is money.

mikedomi
November 13th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by kedmison
I have finally ordered the laptop and Hoster. Have been giving lot's of thought to what changes I will have to make from the 4oo disc player to the laptop and the idea of song numbers came to mind. With Hoster there will no longer be a need for Disc # 6 Track # 11, etc. What numbering system have those of you who have made the switch gone with?

Kelly just keep this in mind singers know there songs by manf. and disc # what are you going to do when some one picks a song .you call them up song starts and they say thats not the one i want. then you have to stop go to the next singer and find the one they want .with both in your book than there is no mistake. have a great day

kedmison
November 15th, 2002, 02:00 PM
Those of you who are using Hoster with XP Pro; Is it best to use the new NTFS or stay with the FAT32?

Kelly

danny_g
November 15th, 2002, 02:32 PM
I don't know if I am interpretting this wrong or not but it seems the originator of this thread is asking about sharing songfiles between computers- my understanding of the hoster program is that the songs loaded onto one computer are not transferable to a second as that would allow a karaoke hosting company to utilize one set of discs in multiple machines which is a violation of copyright laws if I understand them at all. From what I understand one original disc- one copy with the original disc stored somewhere so it can't used in another system. Please MTUSUPPORT correct me if I am wrong. but I don't think I am as I have a buddy of mine who went through the ASCAP inspection to make sure he wasn't using more than one copy in all his systems.

ADMIN NOTE: Hoster does not prevent recording songs under one Hoster and copying those songs to another disc. We made the decision not to play Karaoke Kops as everyone else in the world seems to try to be doing that. Yes, it is illegal to run more shows at the same time than you have disc copies. Thus, you should always make sure you have the same number of discs as copies of Hoster running their imported songs.

MikeD is talking about (FYI impeging = importing) importing half a disc set on one computer with Hoster, and the other half on a second. Then copying the songs from both to the alternate discs. THIS WILL WORK!!! All it takes is spend about 10 seconds to say the first import person uses BookID from 1 to 1000 and the second person use 1001 to 2000 (or anything but 1 to 1000!!!). Then, when you run the "Rebuild Song Database" function it will locate all .kma files and there will not be any duplicate BookIDs.

This is not a bug, but a user request that we could make a bit more automated, but right now is not worth the time investment. It only takes a user 10 seconds to prevent this problem. Sorry we did not think of this earlier, but you guys are very creative!!!

mikedomi
November 15th, 2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by danny_g
I don't know if I am interpretting this wrong or not but it seems the originator of this thread is asking about sharing songfiles between computers- my understanding of the hoster program is that the songs loaded onto one computer are not transferable to a second as that would allow a karaoke hosting company to utilize one set of discs in multiple machines which is a violation of copyright laws if I understand them at all. From what I understand one original disc- one copy with the original disc stored somewhere so it can't used in another system. Please MTUSUPPORT correct me if I am wrong. but I don't think I am as I have a buddy of mine who went through the ASCAP inspection to make sure he wasn't using more than one copy in all his systems. TO DANNY G YOU ARE SO FAR OF BASE IT IS NOT FUNNY .THIS IS FOR THE PEOPLE WHO BUY MORE THAN 1COPY OF HOSTER WHO OWN 1,2,3,4,5 ORG COPY OF DISC YOU HAVE ,2,3,4 SHOWS GOING ON AT 1 TIME WHO DONT HAVE THE TIME TO SPEND THERE LIFE IN FRONT OF A D## COMPT.WHO SPENT $30.000 IN DISC AND DONT WANT TO SPEND ANOTHER $2000 TO PUT IT IN EACH 1 NOW!!! DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE POINT.

Beavis
November 15th, 2002, 04:13 PM
this is why i asked mtu for a converting tool that can be run more than one time. or a tool that would scan your hard disk for .kma files.

danny_g
November 20th, 2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by mikedombroski
YOU STILL DONT GET IT . SO I WILL SPEAK SLOW!!!!. for starters i am not even in the kj profession iam a system builder and lets try this one more time .for people who HAVE 2 sets of manf. disc they are intitled to have 2 hoster. but why should they have to take the time to Put it in twice.if you cant understand this I HOPE YOU DONT DRIVE A CAR OR OWU A GUN BECAUSE IF YOU DO WE ARE ALL IN TROUBLE. WILL SOME ONE PLEASE TRY TO HELP THIS MAN HE JUST CANT GET IT . NO ONE HERE IS TALKING ABOUT BREAKING THE LAW . YOU ARE JUST HAVE TROUBLE UNDERSTANDING RED IS RED AND BLACK IS BLACK. IF YOU HAVE DK 1-99 AND YOU OWN 2 SETS WHY CANT YOU PUT 1-50 ON ONE 51-99 ON THE OTHER AT THE SAME TIME TO SAVE TIME. THEN COMBINE THEM TO MAKE 1 THIS IS NOT !!!!BREAKING THE LAW.IF THIS IS TO HARD TO UNDERSTAND MAYBE YOU SHOULD GIVE BACK YOUR DRIVERS PERMENT. FOR THE REST OF YOU I AM SORRY YOU HAD TO READ THIS .DANNY G. YOU SHOULD NOT ACCUSE SOME ONE OF BREAKING THE LAW.THAT IS ILLEGAL
Ok Ok I get it this time. I apologize for accusing anyone was just interpreting a couple of posts that Admin made and specs that were listed. was having a very bad day and took it out on you and I apologize for that. I was just trying to say that so far MTU's Hoster is the only program out there that keeps its files secure from giving to pirates that are keeping the pay rate down where I am. I would rather be making $150 to $250 a show instead I'm having to accept jobs for barely $100 a show.

kedmison
November 20th, 2002, 03:20 PM
Danny_g,

I think what got this whole thing stirred up was my question about the difference between NTFS (XP Pro) and (XP Pro)FAT32. The file system its self. I am wanting to give my home computer over to my wife for her to use and network my MTU laptop with hoster, when I'm not KJing so I can still use the home computer and not put anything extra on the laptop. I felt it important for them both to be utilizing the same file system; NOT sharing hoster files. Clear as mud???:g

Kelly

George
November 20th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Been watching with more than a bit of amusement, and it all brings up a question in my mind. If MIKEDOMBROWSKI is not a kj, then why all the controversy to begin with? Haven't seen anybody that's going to be using the program concerned about this point.

I agree with MIKEDOMBROWSKI that MTU needs to be focusing on the important points, rather that something simple like key change that can come later, but also have enough faith in MTU to believe that they have sense enough to know there are going to be multiple users out there who will have this problem, and will have a solution very shortly. So the same philosophy can be applied, back off and give them a chance to get this thing off the ground.

kedmison
November 20th, 2002, 04:41 PM
Amen Brother George!!

I think we all need to slow down a bit when we read these posts and make sure we read them for what they are saying or asking and not for what we THINK they are.

Kelly

admin
November 22nd, 2002, 02:02 PM
Gentlepersons, there is no need to be insulting in our Forums. Furthermore, you will find that as the ALL POWERFUL ADMIN OF OZ... I have deleted your posts that contain insults. There was absolutely no value in either of them, or I would have edited them.

Please, when you answer a post... as KELLY requests so nicely... read it carefully. The original question on this Thread is not where this stuff should have been hammered on.

ALWAYS start a new thread when you have something new to say. Posting "very different" content under an existing Thread (with its focused TITLE) hides what you are saying from other users/visitors. When you start a new Thread, it becomes visible. Please... use good judgement on posting under a Thread... AND... avoid making insults under all conditions. I know danny_g and mikedombrowski both and they are respectable fellows. Let's keep it that way!!!

To answer danny_g's question... either NTFS or FAT32 will work fine. We ship and recommend NTFS as it is superior, more modern, and faster.

danny_g
November 22nd, 2002, 03:41 PM
now to answer the question with a simple method-
I took all my discs and alphabetized them and then listed all of them on a sheet of paper before setting up the ids.
I then numbered the discs and created the id's with those numbers. so if I were able to import my cd's via 2 or more computers, I could just split those up and start the id's on those computers at the first number I set up before hand. If MTU set up the files to be account# oriented then it might work.

admin
November 22nd, 2002, 05:11 PM
What's an account# :?

I'd like to answer, but I'm clueless what you are asking....

danny_g
November 23rd, 2002, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by admin
What's an account# :?

I'd like to answer, but I'm clueless what you are asking....
Customer # or something like that. have it coded into the wma the Email address used to purchase hoster and it will only play if it the player played on it has that same email address or customer number coded in it when it is registered. If they try to share the files with another person it will not play.

George
November 23rd, 2002, 10:55 AM
Hi Danny,
Don't they already have that covered in the ID that's assigned to the purchaser's computer? My understanding is that the ID will not work on another pc, so it wouldn't matter if the program were copied to another pc and an attempt made to execute it with the ID number or not.

George

Wayne White
November 23rd, 2002, 11:44 AM
I mentioned this in an earlier forum (maybe this thread).

When I bought my Hoster license & laptop, I was told that a second license to the same user would be at a reduced rate. I won't quote that rate because it was very cheap.

Officially, What is the cost to add Hoster to a second computer?

In order to think about splitting the importing load between 2 computers (besides combining songlists etc.) you would obviously need to have Hoster on more than 1 PC.

I would like to set up a second system within the next week and need to know the cost of a second license?

Wayne

danny_g
November 24th, 2002, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by George
Hi Danny,
Don't they already have that covered in the ID that's assigned to the purchaser's computer? My understanding is that the ID will not work on another pc, so it wouldn't matter if the program were copied to another pc and an attempt made to execute it with the ID number or not.

George

Tyrannosoft has their propriatory KMF files so that if you run the same program on 2 computers as long as your Customer user # matches you can share between 2 computers you own. it's not locked into the activation code itself. If a buddy was to copy your KMF's onto his computer it will not play because the User ID#'s do not match and you get this message: KMF not registered to this computer. I tested this out by taking a regisetered KMF and copying it to cdr wiping out the origianl KMF off my computer and reintroduced the file back into my computer and it worked so I now have a faster way to reload my system if something happens to it rather than just reinmport the files I can just reload my KMF's into the computer.

George
November 24th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Danny, I may have stated my post wrong, as I think they have this covered using ethernet so you can run from, say a laptop in the field, with the main program on a desktop pc at home. Think I'm rapidly losing sight of what the question even was regarding customer#..Isn't that the same as Hoster's unique ID #, or have I taken a wrong turn somewhere:)

danny_g
November 24th, 2002, 01:13 PM
I believe what I am referring to happens to be like the email address used to register Microstudio, Keyrite, Vogone and Home Producer. I admit not knowing anything fully about hoster other than the specs I have read and Admin's posts on the subject and I am taking those as gospel over other posts as I don't own it but will be considering it in the future- right now I can't afford the cost of it. I will restrain my post from now on in the hoster area to just suggestions rather than try to correct other posts that differ from what I have read from the "official" Sources. I wish I had the money to purchase the Hoster computer as my computer that I built basically is good for just Home parties- too much to carry in my car and I don't have room for 2 monitors- one for the computer and one for the singer.

kedmison
November 24th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Once my laptop and Hoster arrive, I am giving consideration to going with a thin flat monitor to be used for my singers instead of my current 13" TV monitor. Yes I know this will be more expensive but I am looking at my total package as far as lighter weight. My question is this...some monitors have to be viewed staright on; which as we now isn't best for Karaoke. Am I to assume that all LCD screens can only be viewed straight on or is there a particular model of thin flat screen thast I should look for?

Appreciate any input.

Kelly

George
November 24th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Danny,
Sorry, I assumed you had been through the Hoster installation routine.

The first step in installation is to execute the MTUID.EXE program. This [ADMIN NOTE: this reads the MACID from your Ethernet Card] reads an ID number from the computer. Then you email that ID number to MTU and they send you the Serial Number to install and run Hoster. The program will install only on the pc that was assigned the ID#. Hope this helps better answer your question.

Take care,

George

admin
November 24th, 2002, 02:17 PM
Hoster is different from all our other program's security. It uses the unique ID code from your Ethernet Network card. If you don't have one in your computer, we offer a USB one that can plug in. Also, this can be moved to another computer, allowing you to run Hoster on more than one computer, but only run on the one where the USB card is connected to. The SERIAL NUMBER we generate based on the Ethernet ID code is absoutely unique and the tightest protection that is available across all computers.

We have not embedded the Serial Number into imported KMA files. We have seriously considered this, but it is so very trivial to remove this that it would be broken by even moder cracker/hackers within days. There are DRM (Digital Resource Managment) methods being derrived (including Microsoft) that we could support when this evolves. As it is right now, mosts folks understand that if you have 1 disc set, you can't legally run it on 2 computers at the same time. Thus, we have no restrictions and importing KMA files on one computer can be transferred to another. This is a VERY strong selling point to Hosting Companies who are buying 2 or more Hoster systems to run their multiple disc sets they already own. They only need to import the "common disc set" once, and then do a hard disk to hard disk copy to "instantly" set up the other computers.

One addition to George's point above. The Serial Number is used in installing Hoster, but... Hoster also verifies the Serial Number multiple times while Hoster is running. Thus, you can't simply copy an installed Hoster program to another computer.