PDA

View Full Version : MTU's USB Burner.... Should I??

HubCapDude
October 13th, 2002, 09:38 PM
I would like to hear from anyone who has purchased and is currently using the 40X USB CDG Burner Drive sold by MTU. I am mainly interested in this burner as I can easily move it between computers.

One of the questions I have concerns a USB-1 port. Is that the USB that came with my desktop and laptop? I never heard it referred to with the "-1" at the end. I assume if I had a USB-2, I would probably know it. I suppose what I really need to know is will this burner work with the USB port I already have?

Also, would the USB-2 card be preferrable? From some of the information I have read in this forum, it seems like slower speeds are better for copying CD-G's. Please correct me if that is inaccurate.

Please help me to make an informed purchase.

Thanks.

jim in ohio
October 14th, 2002, 08:12 AM
Someone else is going to need to answer your questions about the USB burner, I'm using the Plex internal with great success, BUT you have picked up the wrong idea about the speeds.

Read speeds: the faster you can spin the less scratches, skips, and graphic spots will be transfered to the backup, most of us are reading at 40X. Usually get a better backup than the well used disc you start with.

Write speed: with good media, and a tested writer you should be able to write between 16X and 32X. It's a trial and error thing, check your backups and increase your speeds until you are not happy with the quality of the graphics, and back down the speed a little.

You also have the AUTO settings for both read and write that some people are using, it pretty much spins at max most of the time.

Burn Burn Burn

Jim

George
October 14th, 2002, 09:04 AM
I think another word or two regarding speeds is in order. Many, myself included, have advocated using slower speeds burning CDG. I have posted this many times.

One also has to consider that technology advances rapidly, and before long statements made on a forum such as this become outmoded. That does have to be considered. In the days as recently as a couple of years or so ago, some of us were using the latest burners available, which burned at a top speed of 8X or less, in some cases. If it were not for having two p.c.s I'd still be using that one 8X burner. How often do you scrap one that's working perfectly?

I now have a second Plextor that will burn at 16X, which was the fastest MTU sold when I bought it(a month later they were no longer carried in favor of 24X model), so now I burn cdg at faster speeds.

I did read somewhere that a good speed to start out at burning cdg's would be one notch below whatever the max rating for your burner for regular audio. Dunno, just what I read. I just set mine on Auto, and let it rip, and frankly it took me some time even after getting the 16X to let it rip on cdg. Old habits die slowly:w

Take care,

George

KKKID
October 16th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Have had one almost 2 months, still haven't got it to work. if you're running XP, good luck, when you get USB2 card for laptop and try to get it to write, good luck, I guess I'm saying good luck! Had Buslink USB2 Card didn't work, Plextor says Adaptec is preferred, got that, it won't work because Microsoft XP uses different drivers, you then have to load & change settings, more good luck! Plextor says it'e cards or program, Card Mfg say it's drive or program, MTU says it's card, program, or? I have HP laptop, they tell you how to get USB cards loaded so the drives will write, Adaptec tells you how to get them loaded, neither the same, have tried both, still no good. I guess when I get it working it'll be neat!!!!!! Whenever that'll be! Note: I have had another drive from MTU and it worked flawlessly. Seems like too many incompatibilities with these Usb2 cards, Usb2 devices,programs, and the different Windows systems.