PDA

View Full Version : Vidio Card

bspaint
October 2nd, 2002, 07:12 PM
I want to run hoster from a tower, what video card should i buy with duel monitors:?

Beavis
October 2nd, 2002, 08:05 PM
i bought a radeon 8500 for $88.00 brand new on ebay !!

look here ---->>>>Click here: eBay item 2058400322 (Ends Oct-02-02 19:01:32 PDT ) - ATI Radeon 8500 64MB DDR Video Card+DVI+TV

Alan Bingham
October 2nd, 2002, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by bspaint
I want to run hoster from a tower, what video card should i buy with duel monitors:?

My Dell computer came with a TV Video Out, it has an S-Video port as well as the monitor port. I think this is the type of video card you are looking for.

Alan Bingham
:r

George
October 2nd, 2002, 08:49 PM
BUYER BEWARE !

There are two types of ATI video cards being marketed, ATI BUILT and ATI POWERED. ATI BUILT are just as it implies, manufactured by ATI.... ATI POWERED are generic cards using ATI systems in their manufacture, and can give serious problems. They may or may not work properly. You can check this out for yourselves by going to the ATI website and you'll see both listed in their support.The ATI POWERED are the dominant ones found at real too good to be true prices.
Just a warning, do with it what you will.

George

bspaint
October 2nd, 2002, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the imput from all I bought ATI Radeon 9000(powered by ATI) 128meg DDR memory, off of ebay. I will post results whe i get it installed.:)

bspaint
October 2nd, 2002, 10:30 PM
George, now i have re read your reply and bought the wrong type.:? :?

George
October 2nd, 2002, 11:57 PM
That's not to say you may not luck out, but the Powered By ATI Radeon 7500 did give some problems among the Beta testers, and also at MTU, from what I understand. I happened to luck out and bought a "Made by" direct from ATI, not knowing the difference at the time.

Keep my fingers crossed for you.

George

Beavis
October 3rd, 2002, 09:04 AM
george,
why dont you list the issues with the powered by ATI cards. i think under normal conditions everyone will have no problems !!! after all, we are only talking about video out.

T.Wright
October 3rd, 2002, 09:52 AM
ATI cards.
What MTU are recomending is the Built By Radeon ATI 7500.
(this enables you to show one thing on your monitor and something else on another screen)

My Finding's
I think at the start of Hoster, (which was a brand new program from the ground up dont forget), and with the problems we were having at the time, we found out that ATI had other people make their cards, and it made us a bit suspect of the "powered by" card's, and they probably got some of the blame for things that were not their fault. I had bought my POWERED BY RADEON ATI card before any of this came to light, But I must admit now were getting things sorted out everything seems to be working OK, I'm still using the card and I've had no problems with the working of the card that I can say has been the card's fault as yet, some of the bug's were in the program, and some of the problems were not knowing how to use the card, I can only tell you what I have found running a Powered By RADEON ATI card, I might be one of the lucky ones,I dont know but I will most certainly post if I do get trouble with it. But do buy a BUILT BY RADEON if possible, it will remove any doubt.

Hope this helps.

George
October 3rd, 2002, 12:42 PM
Terry,
Does the post below look familiar to you? It was on the basis of this post I issued my warning to these guys, and not on any idle assumptions.I never told them they WOULD have problems, just that they MIGHT, just like someone using a non-certified burner from MTU MIGHT have a problem. Took me half a day to find the bloomin' post, but there it is

Beavus, I can't site any specific problems, I have the ATI built card. Just draw your own conclusions from the below MTU support post. Yours will probably work fine, just like Terry's, but forewarned is forearmed if it doesn't. Was just trying to catch prospective buyers in time for them to,make a more informed decision that's all.

George.

MTUSUPPORT

T. Wright,
The card that you have gotten is a knock off of the actual ATI Radeon 7500. We got two of these in, that a company said were supposed to be the true ATI Radeon cards, but they weren't, so we had to send them back for refund and get the real ATI card. We never use the generic's because they will give you problems. I would only get one of the ones that are listed at www.ati.com. These are the true ATI Cards. You can purchase them from many other places but make sure they say Made or Built by ATI, not Powered by.

Report this post to a

T.Wright
October 3rd, 2002, 01:29 PM
George,
Absolutely right, and as I said it is best to by true products. I was not having a go at what you said, because your 100% correct. But I thought it only fair I post my findings, as I'm sure you would,
If you remember I blamed the card for my slow sweep with JVC discs. But after altering settings on the computor its sorted.
If you go even further back in the posts you will find that I had my RADEON ATI before MTU had mentioned them, and I didn't know about BUILT BY or POWERED BY then.
I'm in no way recomending them. Only thought we might frighten someone that had bought one of these, as it did me when I saw MTU's post. Believe me if it goes wrong and causes trouble these posts will be full of it.

Hope this clear's thing's up.:)

phil_bo_anderso
January 11th, 2003, 02:06 AM
I'm trying to determine if my current notebook will support the Hoster software before I buy it. How can I check that it will support the "Extended Desktop" that I've seen mentioned on other posts? Currently using COMPAQ Evo N600C. I have the ATI Mobility Radean driver installed, but can't seem to get it to show anything other that the desktop on the TV screen - like it's in "clone" mode and won't switch to "extended".

Thank you,
Phil "Bo" Anderson

phil_bo_anderson@yahoo.com

George
January 11th, 2003, 08:46 AM
Phil,
If you are seeing your entire desktop, taskbars,shortcuts and all, you are in clone mode. In extended desktop mode, all you should see on the tv is the wallpaper.

I don't know how different your card is from the ATI Radeon 7500 I'm using but here's the procedure to get started on the right track with the 7500.

Click the ATI shortcut
Click "Help"
Click ATI Desktop
Type in "Extended Desktop"
Click "Select Extended Desktop Mode"

Follow the directions from that point on.

Hope yours is somewhat enough similar to be able to get there this way.

Take care,

George

P.S. if it should turn out a new video card is in order, make certain to get "made by ATI" rather than "Powered by ATI". It appears from all the discussion the "POWERED" variety are generics and may not always perform.

admin
August 20th, 2004, 06:11 PM
I'm trying to determine if my current notebook will support the Hoster software before I buy it. How can I check that it will support the "Extended Desktop" that I've seen mentioned on other posts? Currently using COMPAQ Evo N600C. I have the ATI Mobility Radean driver installed, but can't seem to get it to show anything other that the desktop on the TV screen - like it's in "clone" mode and won't switch to "extended".

Thank you,
Phil "Bo" Anderson

phil_bo_anderson@yahoo.com
Download the Hoster demo and try it on your system. George is right, make sure your dual display card is set up in EXTENDED DESKTOP MODE, not CLONE MODE. :w