PDA

View Full Version : Karaoke with Laptop only???

Rockrz
May 6th, 2013, 02:41 AM
How would one go about doing a karaoke show with a laptop, speakers, and mic only?

Is that possible using the MTU software?

Any specific ideas on how this would be setup would be appreciated, like mixing on the laptop? How to connect speakers and mic thru laptop?

Roy Dennis
May 6th, 2013, 04:21 AM
How would one go about doing a karaoke show with a laptop, speakers, and mic only?

Any specific ideas on how this would be setup would be appreciated, like mixing on the laptop? How to connect speakers and mic thru laptop?

Basically you can't plug your microphone into the laptop to mix the sound using Hoster, it's not impossible but not how Hoster is designed to run.

It is normal procedure to just run the audio out from the computer to a mixer, plug the mic's into the mixer then send the mixed sound to the speakers, most kj mixers have sound effects built in for adjusting echo and reverb into the mix which you only need on the mic side.

Another option is some speaker systems have a separate mic input so you can actually mix the sound with the audio out but I don't know any that would have echo & reverb built in.

Rockrz
May 6th, 2013, 11:00 AM
OK, any recommendations on a full featured mixer that is
reasonably priced, simple to us, and as small as possible?

kod
May 6th, 2013, 12:17 PM
OK, any recommendations on a full featured mixer that is
reasonably priced, simple to use, and as small as possible?

If you will be a little more specific as to what you call reasonably priced, we may be able to help you.

Also, are you looking for a small home type system or a larger system for professional use?

Rockrz
May 6th, 2013, 01:30 PM
It will be for public use, but starting out I wouldn't want to spend
more than around $1000 or so for mixer, speakers, and mic.

I already have the laptop and the MTU software.

Also, does brass tipped connectors mach alot of different in sound quality?
I hear brass is superior to chrome plated connectors.

Lonman
May 6th, 2013, 05:05 PM
I would go with something like the Yamaha MG124CX. Great board, compression on mic channels, decent effects built in.
For speakers you could go with a couple Mackie Thump TH-15A. Decent sounding speakers for the price.
I would also highly recommend adding a separate USB sound card interface like the Lexicon Alpha. It will make a night & day difference in the music coming from the laptop over the build in headphone jack.

Misc cords would be needed but all above (minus cords and mics) would run around $1000.
Might even consider adding the program Breakaway Audio Enhancer (you can demo test it for 30 days). A handful of people have sadi they experienced problems, but I think it has to do with wrong settings myself, I run it on all my computers without any problems. It helps normalize the volume of anything coming out of the computer - since different manus (and even sometimes within the same manu) don't record at the same volumes or have different finalizing processes, it really can make a difference as well and it's cheap!

With a $1000 budget system, the brass tips aren't going to make a huge audible impact over standard connectors. Save your money. I do recommend buying cords with a lifetime warranty though - you don't have to go as far as expensive as say Monster cords. I haven't paid for new cords in over 15 years. Bring them straight back to Guitar Center & exchange for new.

Rockrz
May 6th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Sounds like good advice, thanx!

kod
May 6th, 2013, 11:04 PM
Lonman has some good suggestions, but each of us operate a little differently.

I do no use an external USB sound card. That is a personal preference. I use a Yamaha EMX 512 SC mixer/amp.

I have tried Breakaway twice with disasterous results. It doesn't work for everyone.

As far as cables, I've always used chrome plated with no problems at all...

Rockrz
May 6th, 2013, 11:32 PM
I have tried Breakaway twice with disasterous results. It doesn't work for everyone.

So, what is Breakaway?

kod
May 7th, 2013, 01:41 AM
So, what is Breakaway?

Breakaway is an audio enhancer and it does a good job for some people. If it works, it levels the audio sound coming out of your system.

Google Breakaway Audio Enhancer and read about it.

For some unknown reason, it does not work very well for me. I have tried numerous setting changes and nothing seems to fix the problems I've had. I get from no audio to garbled audio.

I've tried multiple setting that have been recommended here to no avail!

Lonman
May 7th, 2013, 05:35 AM
The external USB card (like the Lexicon) is a pro quality sound card that will make an mp3 (with all it's wavy artifacts) sound a lot closer to the original recording. I have not heard a system yet that hasn't been improved in a side by side comparison that is just using the stock sound card.

bryant
May 7th, 2013, 11:02 PM
For some unknown reason, it does not work very well for me. I have tried numerous setting changes and nothing seems to fix the problems I've had. I get from no audio to garbled audio.

I've tried multiple setting that have been recommended here to no avail!

Same here on three other computers, and friends on forums that have also stated they cannot get it to work "Properly" with Hoster and/or other DJ programs.

Rockrz
May 15th, 2013, 01:30 AM
I would go with something like the Yamaha MG124CX.

So, how does the Yamaha MG82CX compare?

I'm kinda thinking I'd like something smaller in size, yet I do like the idea of a board like this versus one of those all in one type units that provide alot less control.

And, is there someplace to get a smal-as-possible box to bolt this board in to along with maybe a wireless mic setup?

I guess I'd just set my laptop right in front on a table...

Just trying to imagine how all this will work out before I start throwing cash around.

And, what's the deal with BMI / ASCAP membership? Also, I heard if you play Christian music, there's yet another similar membership that is required... anybody know the name of that organization? I hear it's a membership that churches pay to join for playing published music.

Lonman
May 15th, 2013, 05:39 AM
The Yamaha MG82CX is a smaller choice.
It only has 2 mic channels with built in compression, but the same effects. Knobs vs sliders.
Boxes for this board aren't readily available, more custom stuff. But you can certainly get one that the mixer goes on top & your wireless can be built into a rack unit.

kod
May 15th, 2013, 12:17 PM
The Yamaha MG82CX is a smaller choice.
It only has 2 mic channels with built in compression, but the same effects. Knobs vs sliders.
Boxes for this board aren't readily available, more custom stuff. But you can certainly get one that the mixer goes on top & your wireless can be built into a rack unit.

Lonman,

The Yamaha MG82CX has four mic channels...

Lonman
May 15th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Lonman,

The Yamaha MG82CX has four mic channels...But only 2 with built in compression which is what I stated. As opposed to 4 mic channels with compression on the mg124cx.

Rockrz
May 15th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Dumb question... what does compression do anyway?

Is that how the effects are implemented?

Also, is on board graphics capabilities found on the average laptop going to be enough to drive graphics? Or, is there an external graphics card that should be considered?

Lonman
May 15th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Dumb question... what does compression do anyway?
Compression helps keep a singer that is all over the place volume wise to a more consistent level. You set the compressor to a certain point (threshold) and if a singer gets over that point, the compressor automatically turns the singer down to stay under that threshold.

Is that how the effects are implemented?No the effects are a separate section. You add effects via the effects knob on the channel you want effects on - primarily the vocals only in most karaoke.

Also, is on board graphics capabilities found on the average laptop going to be enough to drive graphics? Or, is there an external graphics card that should be considered?If the laptop is capable of extended desktop (screen) then the onboard graphics should be fine.
Although you will need to figure out what outputs you have. Most older laptops have an S-Video output that kj's used for the 2nd screens, but todays laptops only have either VGA, DVI or HDMI outputs - so you will need to either convert the signal so older TV's can be used or if the clubs are using newer TV's, have the VGA, DVI or HDMI cables long enough.
Also I have heard (never had to try myself) that the HDMI outputs do not work as extended screen and still leave the main laptop screen working for host.

kod
May 15th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Although you will need to figure out what outputs you have. Most older laptops have an S-Video output that kj's used for the 2nd screens, but todays laptops only have either VGA, DVI or HDMI outputs - so you will need to either convert the signal so older TV's can be used or if the clubs are using newer TV's, have the VGA, DVI or HDMI cables long enough.

Also I have heard (never had to try myself) that the HDMI outputs do not work as extended screen and still leave the main laptop screen working for host.

Lonman,

I misread your post on the mics and you are correct. I was only thinking about total mic outputs.

I tried using a HDMI output for my monitor, but it didn't work for me!

I just use my VGA output...

Lonman
May 15th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Lonman,

I misread your post on the mics and you are correct. I was only thinking about total mic outputs.

I tried using a HDMI output for my monitor, but it didn't work for me!

I just use my VGA output...Do you use an adapter or is the tv VGA ready?

kod
May 15th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Do you use an adapter or is the tv VGA ready?

I use a 26" monitor, VGA ready...

Rockrz
May 15th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Should be plenty of cheap flat screens around these days that take the older VGA connection.

I'll order one out of southern China built by them snuff dippin Chinese rednecks... :)

Lonman
May 15th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Should be plenty of cheap flat screens around these days that take the older VGA connection.

I'll order one out of southern China built by them snuff dippin Chinese rednecks... :)Most of todays flatscreens have VGA input on top of almost every other input made.

kod
May 15th, 2013, 04:22 PM

I'll order one out of southern China built by them snuff dippin Chinese rednecks... :)

I bought mine (26" flat screen monitor [Asus]) a couple of years ago from Staples. I caught it on sale for $149.95...

Heck, no matter the brand, I think they are all made in China. At least, that's where the parts come from even if they are "assembled" in the USA...

Lonman
May 15th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Using the VGA, you would need a converter or something to split out to the house TV's as well as the singer screen correct?

kod
May 15th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Using the VGA, you would need a converter or something to split out to the house TV's as well as the singer screen correct?

Lonman,

Definitely! I have one I use at a friend's house to hook up to his TV, but I "never" hook up to the house system of TV's.

I prefer that only the singer see the screen. I don't like the audience singing along and not looking at the singer... (Just a personal preference)

Roy Dennis
May 15th, 2013, 04:51 PM
The HDMI works OK for me on the extended screen, that is what I use at home but at venues I actually still use the vga converter to rca video to connect up my gear as it doesn't generally involve fiddling around the back of the venue monitors, the rca video is normally on the side or bottom of the sets. :w:)

kod
May 15th, 2013, 04:55 PM
The HDMI works OK for me on the extended screen, that is what I use at home but at venues I actually still use the vga converter to rca video to connect up my gear as it doesn't generally involve fiddling around the back of the venue monitors, the rca video is normally on the side or bottom of the sets. :w:)

Roy,

How did you get the HDMI to work? I couldn't...

Roy Dennis
May 15th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Roy,

How did you get the HDMI to work? I couldn't...
Can't say I do anything special for the video, I just connect the HDMI cable to computer and TV turn them both on then from the TV's source selection choose HDMI, this option only appears on my TV when you have an HDMI cable connected.
The only thing that you have to set up different is the sound card because when you connect the HDMI lead it automatically sends a digital sound signal to the TV so you have to disable the audio from it.
To do that right click the speaker icon on the task bar, select playback devices, right click in the dialog of the playback devices and tick the 2 boxes to show both device items, now right click on the HDMI audio and select disable then apply and OK. This only disables the audio signal not the Video, you might then have to enable the device that you want for your sound source and make that the default device in that same dialog.
The picture is much sharper with this selected than the ordinary video connection.

bryant
May 16th, 2013, 09:43 PM
Lonman,

Definitely! I have one I use at a friend's house to hook up to his TV, but I "never" hook up to the house system of TV's.

I prefer that only the singer see the screen. I don't like the audience singing along and not looking at the singer... (Just a personal preference)

I can agree with some of that, but many singers actually do NOT want to be looked at continuously, then again, most audiences simply shift their eyes back and forth between the screen and singer anyway so someone is always looking at the singer at any given time, and the crowd almost always wants to at least follow along and also get the heads up when they are up. The loud ones in the audience will sing along at their seats whether they see a big screen or not. I get compliments all the time about Hoster's presence on the big screens as comparec to other karaoke programs even. (Just an audience preference I've noticed).

kod
May 16th, 2013, 11:15 PM
I can agree with some of that, but many singers actually do NOT want to be looked at continuously, then again, most audiences simply shift their eyes back and forth between the screen and singer anyway so someone is always looking at the singer at any given time, and the crowd almost always wants to at least follow along and also get the heads up when they are up. The loud ones in the audience will sing along at their seats whether they see a big screen or not. I get compliments all the time about Hoster's presence on the big screens as comparec to other karaoke programs even. (Just an audience preference I've noticed).

My Singers prefer it the way I do it, so the bottom line is, do whatever your audience wants. After all, they are the ones that support you!

I've never had a request to hook up to the Bar's system...

bryant
May 16th, 2013, 11:38 PM
My Singers prefer it the way I do it, so the bottom line is, do whatever your audience wants. After all, they are the ones that support you!

I've never had a request to hook up to the Bar's system...

I see, cool.

Rockrz
May 16th, 2013, 11:49 PM
My Singers prefer it the way I do it, so the bottom line is, do whatever your audience wants.

How would you know? Take up a poll, or put out a suggestion box?

Also, do you guys allow people to bring in their own disks if they want?
If so, do you have an actual karaoke player with a CD-Rom drive, or maybe an external CD-Rom drive if the one in your laptop won't do CD-G and/or MP3G ?

Just trying to figure out if it's a good idea to have an actual karaoke player on hand, or if I should focus solely on being able to play the occasional disk on the laptop.

I'm going to be all digital, but I wouldn't care of someone wanted to bring their own disk as long as it is a pressed disc not a CDR in an attempt to not violate any copyrights er anything.

bryant
May 17th, 2013, 12:01 AM
How would you know? Take up a poll, or put out a suggestion box? Good idea, my way of doing it was simply based on a huge number of shows, like about 350 - 400 a year, with over 25,000 singers a year, and millions in the audiences over the last ten years. And never once has anyone ever said anything about a screen on that should be off. And EVERY time I add a new screen, it is always yay!

If so, do you have an actual karaoke player with a CD-Rom drive, or maybe an external CD-Rom drive if the one in your laptop won't do CD-G and/or MP3G ? Yup, I put mine right thru Hoster in the laptop. Singers sometimes find it odd that I use a laptop and actually take discs, but within a few weeks, if it's a decent regular, I purchase that very same version. They like that too! :)

Just trying to figure out if it's a good idea to have an actual karaoke player on hand, or if I should focus solely on being able to play the occasional disk on the laptop. Try the disc first. Some do not have luck with that though. My wife and I always have.

I'm going to be all digital, but I wouldn't care of someone wanted to bring their own disk as long as it is a pressed disc not a CDR in an attempt to not violate any copyrights er anything.

Rockrz
May 17th, 2013, 12:18 AM
I know back in my drinking years hangin out at bars doing karaoke... you never questioned anything the KJ did that was his preference such as not having words on the big screen... lest you find yoselfs no longer in the rotation! :e

Maybe things have changed in mo modern times, but that maybe the reason nobody ever requested the words be put on the big screen out of fear of offending the KJ dude guy... after all, they wanna sing! :g

kod
May 17th, 2013, 12:38 AM
How would you know? Take up a poll, or put out a suggestion box?

If so, do you have an actual karaoke player with a CD-Rom drive, or maybe an external CD-Rom drive if the one in your laptop won't do CD-G and/or MP3G ?

Just trying to figure out if it's a good idea to have an actual karaoke player on hand, or if I should focus solely on being able to play the occasional disk on the laptop.

I have a loyal following and I have asked them. I've also had new Singer's to tell me they prefer it that way.

They prefer that if someone in the audience wants to sing, they should put their request in and do their singing on the stage like everyone else...

I actually had to bar a guy from coming to my show once. He would never put in a request, but always tried to sing louder in the audience than the singer on the stage. Not knowing the song lyrics didn't stop him. Imagine what he would have done if he could have seen the words! Talking to him did no good.

I play Singer's discs (or their USB drives) using Hoster. A copy doesn't matter "if" they own the master, but there is really no way to tell for sure...

Rockrz
May 17th, 2013, 12:51 AM
I play Singer's discs (or their USB drives) using Hoster. A copy doesn't matter "if" they own the master, but there is really no way to tell for sure...Yeah, taking someone's word that they own the original is risky at best.

I know back in the day, I was just a guy that liked to sing (not a KJ) and I had over 1000 songs I obtained by renting them... then burn 'em and return 'em as we used to say. All my songs were hand picked as my collections were just the songs I wanted for me.

It's been more than 7 years, so the statute of limitations has run out :g

I'd imagine now days it's even easier to copy from friends, or even buy illegal hard drives full of music.

kod
May 17th, 2013, 01:05 AM
Yeah, taking someone's word that they own the original is risky at best.

I know back in the day, I was just a guy that liked to sing (not a KJ) and I had over 1000 songs I obtained by renting them... then burn 'em and return 'em as we used to say. All my songs were hand picked as my collections were just the songs I wanted for me.

It's been more than 7 years, so the statute of limitations has run out :g

I'd imagine now days it's even easier to copy from friends, or even buy illegal hard drives full of music.

I've never heard of renting Karaoke discs...

All of my songs (before my KJ days) were obtained the hard way (I paid for them). I eventually had to make some copies because the KJ's didn't take care of my discs.

I lost a bunch of songs to damage, but was able to recover a lot of them when I went to Hoster and purchased one of their CD drives that clean up damaged songs. Believe me, those drives work!

Rockrz
May 17th, 2013, 01:09 AM
Yep, some music stores rent karaoke discs and equipment...

I'm starting from scratch with new CDGs (I'm buying new stuff and keeping good records!) that will be ripped using MTU software on to a brand new hard drive... so I'm not anticipating any issues.

I figure I'll use MP3+G... isn't this the format that most KJs use that have gone digital?

kod
May 17th, 2013, 01:21 AM
Yep, some music stores rent karaoke discs and equipment...

I'm starting from scratch with new CDGs (I'm buying new stuff and keeping good records!) that will be ripped using MTU software on to a brand new hard drive... so I'm not anticipating any issues.

I figure I'll use MP3+G... isn't this the format that most KJs use that have gone digital?

Yep, MP3+G is the accepted format.

However, when loading from discs, Hoster converts them for you. It is not necessary to do any converting.

If you have any older discs that have scratches, I highly recommend purchasing one of MTU's drives to clean them up. The CD drive in your laptop won't do it...

Rockrz
May 17th, 2013, 10:26 AM
I'm trying to buy all new stuff and if I do by the occasional used disc, it'll have to in in near mint condition so I won't have any issues.

Now the special CD-Rom drive you are talking about... that includes the external drive that connects to your laptop by USB, right?

It's be kool if they had their special drive available for laptops... to be purchased separately so you could install in your laptop and replace the OE drive with the special MTU drive.

kod
May 17th, 2013, 12:22 PM
I'm trying to buy all new stuff and if I do by the occasional used disc, it'll have to in in near mint condition so I won't have any issues.

Now the special CD-Rom drive you are talking about... that includes the external drive that connects to your laptop by USB, right?

It's be kool if they had their special drive available for laptops... to be purchased separately so you could install in your laptop and replace the OE drive with the special MTU drive.

Yes, it is an external USB drive. It would be nice to have one that was internal...

Rockrz
May 17th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Yes, it is an external USB drive. It would be nice to have one that was internal...Since MTU sells laptops that have built in drives... they obviously have an internal laptop drive that works good enough with their software to be sold with their high end laptop deals.

Wonder what brand laptop drive they are using :?

kod
May 17th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Since MTU sells laptops that have built in drives... they obviously have an internal laptop drive that works.

That ... I'm not sure of, but it sure sounds logical...

Rockrz
May 17th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Either that, or most standard CD-Rom drives will work since most of them now handle many, many formats and tasks.

I;m sure the technology has been greatly improved in the past few years.

kod
May 17th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Either that, or most standard CD-Rom drives will work since most of them now handle many, many formats and tasks.

I;m sure the technology has been greatly improved in the past few years.

Most CD drives will now handle CDG, but these drives have special software that cleans up the song and restores the graphics to near perfect.

I had one song that took the drive about 15 minutes to correct, but it came out perfectly. Normal drives will not correct the graphics.

I could not get the same song to play in a Numark CDG player!

Rockrz
May 17th, 2013, 03:30 PM
There's no software in the hardware... does MTU provide their own software for the drives they sell? If so, they may have special drivers that tweak the hardware's performance or something.

kod
May 17th, 2013, 03:38 PM
There's no software in the hardware... does MTU provide their own software for the drives they sell? If so, they may have special drivers that tweak the hardware's performance or something.

I can't answer that specifically, all I can tell you is ... IT WORKS!

I was able to salvage well over 100 songs that I had given up for lost and some of them I had even considered buying again!

Roy Dennis
May 17th, 2013, 04:40 PM

Most of the new laptops installed cd roms will rip the cd+g and import them with no trouble. We can't really tell you to buy a particular make of computer to do this as none of them actually state they read mp3+G, some will and some won't. If you try the demo version you can test your drive with that.

You stated somewhere that you had already purchased Microstudio so if that reads and wrights CD+G then your drive is OK.

Hoster only reads the files it doesn't burn them.

MTU guarantees their drives to work as they test them before passing them on to you.

Rockrz
May 17th, 2013, 05:34 PM
If the drive in mine doesn't work with reading CD+G so I can import my discs, then I'll buy the external.... or, go to the manufacturer that makes the drives you guys say work and see what kind of drives they have for laptops.

I might do that to eliminate having to have an external.

Lonman
May 21st, 2013, 04:32 PM
How would you know? Take up a poll, or put out a suggestion box?I ask people all the time, what they like about the show or what they'd like to see changed. So far I get very little requests for change.

Most definitely allow singers to bring in their own discs. Many more people buy their own since some of the retail box stores sell karaoke discs now days. Let them use what they are comfortable with. I have some that just bring in the instrumental only - no words.
I prefer using an external player over the one in the computer.

I'm going to be all digital, but I wouldn't care of someone wanted to bring their own disk as long as it is a pressed disc not a CDR in an attempt to not violate any copyrights er anything.I allow burned discs still. I know many that used to bring in their binders but showed them how to make a compilation disc of just the songs they want to sing. Also allow flashdrives.

Rockrz
May 25th, 2013, 02:32 AM
Also allow flashdrives...Ever get a virus on your computer from that yet?

Somebody could knowingly (or unknowingly if their computer is infected) could wreak havoc on your show by killing your computer when you plug in their flash drive and access it.

BTW, anybody know what brand of CD-Rom drives MTU sells?

kod
May 25th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Ever get a virus on your computer from that yet?

Somebody could knowingly (or unknowingly if their computer is infected) could wreak havoc on your show by killing your computer when you plug in their flash drive and access it.

BTW, anybody know what brand of CD-Rom drives MTU sells?

Never had a virus from anyone. I have Norton and I "hope" it protects me...

The Drives are listed on their homepage. Just scroll down...

Rockrz
May 25th, 2013, 12:58 PM
I use Acronis so I never have to worry about that since I can restore my system back to an earlier time before an event happens, and unlike Windows restore Acronis always restores with 100% accuracy.

The Drives are listed on their homepage. Just scroll down...

But, it does not tell you who the manufacturer of the hardware is... I read in some other threads that it's NEC that makes the drives MTU sells so this would be the manufacturer that they prefer that works best with their software.

kod
May 25th, 2013, 02:07 PM
I use Acronis so I never have to worry about that since I can restore my system back to an earlier time before an event happens, and unlike Windows restore Acronis always restores with 100% accuracy.

But, it does not tell you who the manufacturer of the hardware is... I read in some other threads that it's NEC that makes the drives MTU sells so this would be the manufacturer that they prefer that works best with their software.

It doesn't matter to me who makes it ... IT WORKS!!!

Rockrz
May 26th, 2013, 01:34 AM
The external USB card (like the Lexicon) is a pro quality sound card that will make an mp3 (with all it's wavy artifacts) sound a lot closer to the original recording. I have not heard a system yet that hasn't been improved in a side by side comparison that is just using the stock sound card.

What is the model name and/or number?

RIKKI TIKKI
May 27th, 2013, 12:30 AM
Here's a sale on the model that Lonman is suggesting... ( I bought one a few years back, on his learned opinion & experience ) You won't be dissappointed!

http://www.amazon.com/Lexicon-Alpha-Desktop-Recording-Studio/dp/B000HVXMNE

Rockrz
May 27th, 2013, 12:53 AM
Great, thanks.

I was already checking that one out from a music gear forum,
so it seems to be a fairly popular piece of equipment.

Lonman
May 27th, 2013, 10:40 PM
Ever get a virus on your computer from that yet?

BTW, anybody know what brand of CD-Rom drives MTU sells?I run no antivirus on my show computer as it is never connected to the internet - except for brief periods to update. Have never recieved any virues. I disabled all auto play features.

Rockrz
May 28th, 2013, 01:53 AM
Many viruses can run just by plugging in a USB drive where it activates as soon as the drive gets power regardless of autoplay settings.

Acronis True Image is the best tool out there for restoring a computer back to an earlier time which takes care of viruses computers errors, etc.

Can hoster run with songs being on a different drive than the C Drive where Hoster is running from?

Lonman
May 28th, 2013, 05:24 AM
Never had an issue.

Rockrz
May 28th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Hope your good f0rtune without protection continues.... :)

Lonman
May 28th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Hope your good f0rtune without protection continues.... :)8 years on computer & counting. Not worried bout it.

Rockrz
May 28th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Yeah, not being on the internet is probably the biggest thing that does
provide protection since most viruses get on computers when they are
on the internet.

It'd be kinda kooL to have a webcam setup to stream a karaoke show, but
I can only imagine that would make SC go nuts.

How do people get away with posting video clips with sound on YouTube
without being busted for copyright infringement? Just curious since there
are KJs that post clips of their shows online.

Lonman
May 28th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Yeah, not being on the internet is probably the biggest thing that does
provide protection since most viruses get on computers when they are
on the internet.I turn off all internet access on my computer. It IS the primary reason for viruses. Even if someone put one on a flash drive, as long as the autoplay is turned off, you'd have to run the program. I suppose it's possible to put something into an mp3 or cdg file, but haven't heard of one or seen one yet.

It'd be kinda kooL to have a webcam setup to stream a karaoke show, but
I can only imagine that would make SC go nuts.

How do people get away with posting video clips with sound on YouTube
without being busted for copyright infringement? Just curious since there
are KJs that post clips of their shows online.Now you are talking a whole new legalities can of worms.
The ones on Youtube are there until someone tells them to take it down. Sometimes it takes a while, sometimes they are looking for specific videos and they come down as soon as they are posted or shortly after.

Rockrz
May 28th, 2013, 01:57 PM
That's what I was thinking about youtube is that some publisher would request their music be removed.

You might want to study viruses more closely if you are going to allow memory sticks to be connected because they have much smarter viruses nowdays that run behind the scenes as soon as the memory stick is plugged in and you won't know until later... having auto play disabled does not stop most viruses now since the creators of these programs write their prog to work around that.

There are also viruses that attack hard drives and damage them so once it is powered down, it will never work again and will have to be replaced.

I learned from professional geeks that programs like Acronis True Image are some of the best protection since it captures the state of the system so it can be restored even if there is hard drive failure.

It's pretty freaky what the bad guys can do with illicit computer programs these days. The only reason I follow stuff like this is because in my business I have to depend on my computer and have to have things in place that are fail safe.

I just go see what all the geeks are doing... :g

Lonman
May 28th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Again, i'm not going to stress about it. If I get a virus - then it happens, i'll fix it when/if that ever happens, but to date, it's never happened. Not a huge concern of mine. I have back up drives built in the system, if the computer itself crashes, then I fix it or get another. Besides 9 out of 10 times I take a flashdrive (which is rare to begin with) has been from my regs or people visiting from KS looking for a place to sing and I coordinate with them in advance. Seriously doubt any of those people are going to do anything malicious to me or my system.

Rockrz
May 28th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Yep, backing stuff up is the name of the
game when depending on computers.

kod
May 29th, 2013, 09:48 AM
I learned from professional geeks that programs like Acronis True Image are some of the best protection since it captures the state of the system so it can be restored even if there is hard drive failure.

I read up on Acronis True Image and it has been known to damage computers too....

Rockrz
May 29th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Only if folks don't know how to use the program... I've used it since 2005 with a 100% success rate in that I've never once had it not restore my system with perfection.

Rockrz
July 6th, 2014, 08:39 PM
It is normal procedure to just run the audio out from the computer to a mixer

Can you do that via USB, or do you have to use the headphone jack?

I found this USB mixer that looks pretty good at:
http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-X1832USB-Premium-18-Input-Compressors/dp/B0036E8DE2/ref=sr_1_20?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1404691121&sr=1-20&keywords=usb+mixers+with+effects

Any thoughts on this unit, or is there a better unit that connects thru USB?

bryant
July 6th, 2014, 10:39 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-X1832USB-Premium-18-Input-Compressors/dp/B0036E8DE2/ref=sr_1_20?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1404691121&sr=1-20&keywords=usb+mixers+with+effects

make sure there are drivers for the usb soundcard within the thing, had an earlier version of those, didn't work well at all with Hoster.

Lonman
July 7th, 2014, 01:46 PM

It's preferable to use an external sound card. It will work without needing to buy anything else.
Lexicon Alpha is a great pro quality unit (and cheap) that will give you a night & day difference over a headphone jack output.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--LEXALPHA

Rockrz
July 7th, 2014, 01:55 PM
It's preferable to use an external sound card. It will work without needing to buy anything else.
Lexicon Alpha is a great pro quality unit (and cheap) that will give you a night & day difference over a headphone jack output.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--LEXALPHA

Does it work with USB?

Lonman
July 7th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Does it work with USB?It is USB. Computer connects to Alpha via a USB cable. Then you go from the Alpha to the mixer inputs via standard 1/4"-1/4" (balanced if your mixer has balanced inputs) cables.
This has an advantage over most USB mixers as most USB mixers don't have any kind of adjustment for eq or effect or monitor/aux sends, just an input that you turn up.

Skybird74
July 9th, 2014, 01:51 PM

I still do Shows in nursing homes/senior centers using my old portable "cassette" Karaoke machine. It has 80 watts of power so it can still fill up a medium size room and has good sound. I plug the Audio from my laptop into the Audio In on the back of the unit, and plug the microphone into the front. Then I have the words on my laptop to be able to sing with. If the Home has a second TV, then I just plug into it the same way that I plug in to any TV using yellow RCA plug. Then the residents can sing along with me. I place my portable machine in the front of their TV (just off the floor on the dolly I use to carry it in) while I stand off to the side. The mic has a 20ft cord which can reach many of the residents so they can also sing if they want. I am always amazed at how many are good singers & know the words by heart when you play songs from their Era.

There are many portable machines on the market today. The best advice is to get one with 80 watts of power, and if possible check the sound in person before you buy. There is no need to carry a separate equalizer. These singers are just HAPPY you are there!:):)