PDA

View Full Version : Max write speeds with Plextor

Steviet
July 28th, 2002, 11:18 PM
I've been backing up my CD+G collections & notice a comma or period will "hang around" while a track is playing, especially on the discs later tracks (10+). I have a Plextor 40x burner & have set the read rate at about 20 & the write rate at 24 (using good quality 24 certified discs).
My question would be: What seems to be the best (max) speed to read & write CD+G discs so as to avoid any small errors like these ? Should I be writing at a lower speed (I did try 12x & got the same little bits of text hanging around).
Thanks - A new MicroStudio user.
PS - I'm backing up my SGB collection.

MTUSUPPORT
July 29th, 2002, 05:03 PM
I always tell everyone to set the speed to Auto for both, which will go as fast as it can. The broken graphics come from the cheaper media. We recommend only using our media to burn the CD+G correctly.

Steviet
July 29th, 2002, 06:16 PM
I appeciate your prompt reply to my post.

I am currently using Mitsui silver media to copy (is not this close to the brand you sell, in spec's). I also noted an earlier post from George a "senior member" of the forum:

"Regarding speed, where CDG is concerned, the faster the burning, the more glitches one can expect(words half shaded, random crud on the screen, etc. You see a lot of it in commercial cdg's). If you'll read through the forums you'll see slower speeds advocated numerous times, for that reason, but that's your call, depending on the results you expect. "

Obviously, you are the expert here & if setting the Plextor on auto for both write & read is the way to go, then that is what I will do.
My Plextor will burn a CDG at 40x in about 2 minutes, but maybe the MItsui media I have is faulty.

Thank you for a wonderful product & hopefully I will get this right soon.

Steve

jim in ohio
July 30th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Most people try to reason that the slower speeds are better than the high speeds, experiment with your PLEX to find what works best for you and your media.

I tell everyone to READ as fast as the Plex will go, this will usually give a better backup than the orgional disc.

Write, this is a trial and error thing, everyone needs a coaster to stop those coffee cup rings on the desk. Start out at write at max for the media or the Plex, and look at the backup and the orgional in your karaoke player, if you have more spots in the graphics of the backup then slow the write speed down one step, then check them again untill you get the best back up.

Remember, clean your discs, and if you have a well used orgional with spots in the graphics, your backup will have spots too, but the high speed read will help get rid of some.

I get my best backups read at max and write at max, but my old 16-10-40 Plex won't fly at your speed.:)

Burn Burn Burn:w

MTUSUPPORT
July 30th, 2002, 10:22 AM
Steve,
What is your Plextor doing that would make you think that the Mitsui media is faulty? This is the correct media to be using.

Steviet
August 15th, 2002, 01:47 AM
Thanks for all the great support with this product. I must have had a bad batch of discs as I just received a new box of Mitsui media & started to backup some new discs - worked flawlessly, not one coma or mark left on the screen. I even followed the advice here on the forum concerning Sound Choice backups - it worked ! I've been able to backup ALL tracks from new sound choice disks.
This is a fabulous product. I think I still have some other programs or something running in the background (Not the auto notify!) that crashes & freezes my computer every now & again, especially after 3 or 4 backups.
Thanks again for the product .:g :c :g

George
August 15th, 2002, 08:56 AM
Steve,
Crashing after running a few programs in Microstudio sounds exactly like the problem addressed in the first post in this (Microstudio open) forum by SUPPORT regarding ASPI DRIVERS. You might want to do that download if you haven't already done so.

This may not be your solution, but it's a good possibility.

George

Here's the title of the post by Support.

Important! How to upgrade ASPI driver for Microstudio- Fixes 99% of problems

MTUSUPPORT
August 15th, 2002, 10:58 AM
Steviet,
George is correct about the ASPI drivers, he just beat me in posting it to you, lol. He reads and learns, and then shares his wisdom with everyone else. This is my favorite type of client, becase he bails me out when I'm swamped here at the office. Thanks for everything George.

Steviet
August 15th, 2002, 12:24 PM
George, I should have mentioned in my previous reply that I have followed the advice thus far. I changed & updated the drivers after 1st installing the program, turned off the auto notify, installed Direct X 8 etc.
I wonder if any of the Norton products I have installed could be causing the crashes (utilities or AntiVirus)? Maybe it's the Plextor manager in the background ?
Next time it crashes, I'll take note of the "fatal command" message & post it here.
Just as a note. I'm running an AMD 1.4, 256ram, Win 98 second eddition, 2x 7200 Maxtor drives, The Plextor 40x as a master & TDK 24x as a slave (I know the TDK does not support Karaoke!). I produce weekly mixshows for radio stations & have a lot of music stored on the drives along with Sonic Foundry software (Acid Pro, Sound Forge, Vegas video) I do DeFrag on a regular basis.
I may have too many programs on here!
Again, thanks for the forum & support - I'm learning a lot!

George
August 15th, 2002, 01:16 PM
Steve,
sorry it wasn't it. You may be right about too many programs especially with an AMD processor. Not knocking AMD, nor suggesting a change, but it is my understanding that it's more critical to have as little as possible running with an AMD than with an Intel. The reason I was given for this is that there are many processor functions in Intel that AMD cannot use because Intel has the patents, and as a result AMD relies on the system to do those functions which can put the memory in overload if there are also several programs running in the background. I was also running AMD @860mhz, with 98SE and 256mg memory and had no problems as long as I ran lean and mean as far as programs were concerned. Try shutting everything you can off, re-booting the p.c. to clear the memory, and see if the problem persists.

George,

Bryan, no need for the public accolades:)