PDA

View Full Version : QSC Speaker Problem...

kod
July 15th, 2012, 08:27 PM
I have a set of QCS K-12 speakers. They do not fit my speaker poles very well and will drift around on the pole.

They do not have locks like most speakers.

Does anyone here know how to solve this problem?

Roy Dennis
July 16th, 2012, 06:17 AM
Are your speaker poles a non standard size ?
Apart from getting someone to engineer an adapter to fit your pole with a tapered top to fit tight in your speaker I can only think of a bodge job with pvc electricians tape.
If you measure how far the pole enters the speaker and mark a line there, then wrap a few turns of the pvc tape round the pole just level with the line, not all the way up the poll till you acquire a snug fit.

kod
July 16th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Are your speaker poles a non standard size ?
Apart from getting someone to engineer an adapter to fit your pole with a tapered top to fit tight in your speaker I can only think of a bodge job with pvc electricians tape.
If you measure how far the pole enters the speaker and mark a line there, then wrap a few turns of the pvc tape round the pole just level with the line, not all the way up the poll till you acquire a snug fit.

Roy,

My speaker poles are standard poles. This is the only speakers that have done this and from what I have read, it is a QSC thing!

It's hard to believe that speakers that cost this much ($1,700/pair USD) don't have any kind of locking mechanism...

I have found some adapters, but they are ~$80 USD EACH!

I was hoping someone here may have a cheaper solution. I had already considered what you suggested...

Thanks for your time!

Lonman
July 19th, 2012, 05:35 AM
What do you mean 'drift around on the pole'? Do they spin on their own - with the beat of the music, they tend to move?
I've never heard of that problem with those before. I'd also suggest what was mentioned, tape the top of the poles, maybe with a double sided tape or something similar.

bryant
July 19th, 2012, 07:34 AM
What do you mean 'drift around on the pole'? Do they spin on their own - with the beat of the music, they tend to move?
I've never heard of that problem with those before. I'd also suggest what was mentioned, tape the top of the poles, maybe with a double sided tape or something similar.

Huh, I have the opposite problem with one of my powered JBL eon15 . One of them sometimes just seems a bit too tight on the pole and it takes two people to twist and turn the speaker , while one holds down the pole in order to remove the speaker.

kod
July 19th, 2012, 12:38 PM

Lonman,

That's exactly what they do. They do not fit snug on the pole and do not have a locking thumb screw like all the other speakers I own. The mounting holes are not standard size on the QSC speakers.

I have already considered taping, but wanted to avoid that "sticky" situation.

As I stated earlier, I have found some adapters to correct this problem, but they are ~$80 USD EACH!

I think it is pathetic that QSC makes these awesome sounding speakers with this problem. A locking mehanism couldn't cost much more to add...

Having to use 50 cent worth of tape tape to hold a speaker costing this much, is ridiculous

WaltR
July 21st, 2012, 08:07 PM
Lonman,

That's exactly what they do. They do not fit snug on the pole and do not have a locking thumb screw like all the other speakers I own. The mounting holes are not standard size on the QSC speakers.

I have already considered taping, but wanted to avoid that "sticky" situation.

As I stated earlier, I have found some adapters to correct this problem, but they are ~$80 USD EACH!

I think it is pathetic that QSC makes these awesome sounding speakers with this problem. A locking mehanism couldn't cost much more to add...

Having to use 50 cent worth of tape tape to hold a speaker costing this much, is ridiculous

There are two diameters for speaker stand poles. It sounds like you have the standard. I don't remember the size right off hand but they make adapters that go over the pole to fill the void in the larger socket that some manufactures use. You should be able to get the adapters at any large music store such as Americanmusicalsupply.com. If you can't find them let me know and I will see if I can dig some up.

Walt:w

kod
July 21st, 2012, 10:01 PM
There are two diameters for speaker stand poles. It sounds like you have the standard. I don't remember the size right off hand but they make adapters that go over the pole to fill the void in the larger socket that some manufactures use. You should be able to get the adapters at any large music store such as Americanmusicalsupply.com. If you can't find them let me know and I will see if I can dig some up. Walt

Walt,

As I stated earlier, I've found some adapters, but they will cost more (~$80 Each) than buying new stands.

But, I'm not sure buying new stands will solve my problem. I don't suspect the speaker will fit snug enough keep it from drifting and still be loose enough to be removed from the stand!

The bottom line, the speakers need a locking screw which is not possible...

WaltR
July 22nd, 2012, 01:30 PM
Walt,

As I stated earlier, I've found some adapters, but they will cost more (~$80 Each) than buying new stands.

But, I'm not sure buying new stands will solve my problem. I don't suspect the speaker will fit snug enough keep it from drifting and still be loose enough to be removed from the stand!

The bottom line, the speakers need a locking screw which is not possible...

I have adapters that I only have had to use once or twice with friends speakers. I can't imagine $80.00 for a pair of adapters. Let me look into it and get the measurements to give you a reference and I will get back to you.

Walt

kod
July 22nd, 2012, 01:39 PM
have adapters that I only have had to use once or twice with friends speakers. I can't imagine $80.00 for a pair of adapters. Let me look into it and get the measurements to give you a reference and I will get back to you.

Walt

Walt,

That would be greatly appreciated...

WaltR
July 22nd, 2012, 01:58 PM
http://www.americanmusical.com/ItemImages/Thumbnails/MUS%20SSA2.jpg (http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-MUS-SSA2-LIST)

This is the adapter I was speaking about. It converts the standard 1 3/8 speaker stand to 1 1/2". The cost is $4.95 each. They can be purchased at www.americanmusicalsupply.com (http://www.americanmusicalsupply.com)

Hope this helps.

Walt

kod
July 22nd, 2012, 02:13 PM
Walt,

Thanks for the information. I just ordered two of these and will let you know how they work for me...

Again, Thanks!

WaltR
July 22nd, 2012, 02:26 PM
Walt,

Thanks for the information. I just ordered two of these and will let you know how they work for me...

Again, Thanks!

You are welcome.

Walt:g

kod
July 25th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Walt,

My adapters came in today. They "do not" work...

They fit on the poles fine, but do not fit the speakers. They are too large!

Oh well, back to the drawing board! :r

These speakers seriously need locking screws...

Thanks anyway...

WaltR
July 26th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Walt,

My adapters came in today. They "do not" work...

They fit on the poles fine, but do not fit the speakers. They are too large!

Oh well, back to the drawing board! :r

These speakers seriously need locking screws...

Thanks anyway...

Sorry to hear that. I gave you the measurements for the standard stands and the adapter (1 3/8" to 1 1/2". What is the size of your speaker input?
Apparently they are larger then 1 1/2". If so, I have never come across that type of application.

Walt :?

kod
July 26th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Sorry to hear that. I gave you the measurements for the standard stands and the adapter (1 3/8" to 1 1/2". What is the size of your speaker input?
Apparently they are larger then 1 1/2". If so, I have never come across that type of application.

Walt,

According to the QSC manual, the hole is 35mm (35 millimeters is equal to 1.38 inches).

That's a fraction over 1 3/8 inches and is enough to allow them to drift around on the pole...

I guess I just going to have to use tape on the poles, which I hate to do...

WaltR
July 26th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Walt,

According to the QSC manual, the hole is 35mm (35 millimeters is equal to 1.38 inches).

That's a fraction over 1 3/8 inches and is enough to allow them to drift around on the pole...

You could also use heat shrink. They make it big enough to use for your needs. It would hold up a little better than tape.

Walt

RIKKI TIKKI
July 27th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Walt,

Work on a foreign car, and you need a metric wrench set... buy speakers that are in millimeters, and maybe your stands need to be foreign also! Just sayin'...

kod
July 27th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Work on a foreign car, and you need a metric wrench set... buy speakers that are in millimeters, and maybe your stands need to be foreign also! Just sayin'...

RIKKI TIKKI,

How about you tell me how to buy them otherwise!!!

RIKKI TIKKI
July 28th, 2012, 06:18 AM
Matched Set...:e

I was being a little facitious, and I apologize for making that comment without explanation...:g

I too had to adapt 4 Pioneer speakers, and two separate pairs of stands when I first started 15 years ago... one set of stands fit better than the other set... but I didn't have the problem of speaker movement that you are experiencing... maybe my setup wasn't as powerfull as what you have now... I now use a Bose PAS System with superb results, so my Pioneers with stands have been in the storage locker for the last 6 or 7 yrs!:w

Hope you find a solution, without going to the expense of matching to expensive adaptors!:c

Rick

Roy Dennis
July 28th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Just an idea if you don't mind drilling a hole in your speaker pole.:e

If you were to screw a # 8 self tapping pan headed screw into the pole just above were the bottom of the speaker would come, you could adjust how tight the speaker fitted by adjusting how tight the screw was inserted into the pole.
If there was enough room between the speaker hole and the pole you could have 2 or 3 screws spaced around the pole.

Another option might work Get a thin rubber O ring, place on the pole then push the speaker over that for a tight fit, you would have to find the best size O ring but these could easily be removed from the poles without leaving a sticky residue.

WaltR
July 28th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Are your speaker flanges readily removable, maybe 3 or 4 screws? If so you can buy new flanges where you purchased the adapters. Just a thought.

Walt

kod
July 30th, 2012, 01:36 AM
Just an idea if you don't mind drilling a hole in your speaker pole.:e

If you were to screw a # 8 self tapping pan headed screw into the pole just above were the bottom of the speaker would come, you could adjust how tight the speaker fitted by adjusting how tight the screw was inserted into the pole.
If there was enough room between the speaker hole and the pole you could have 2 or 3 screws spaced around the pole.

Another option might work Get a thin rubber O ring, place on the pole then push the speaker over that for a tight fit, you would have to find the best size O ring but these could easily be removed from the poles without leaving a sticky residue.

Roy,

I like the idea of using screws. I may even try using pop rivets as they just might stick out enough to increase the size of the pole just enough to make the speaker fit more snug...

Thanks for the idea...

Are your speaker flanges readily removable, maybe 3 or 4 screws? If so you can buy new flanges where you purchased the adapters. Just a thought.
Walt

Walt,

QSC speakers have a flange that rotates to allow the speaker to sit straight up or be rotated 180 degrees to allow the speaker to tilt 7 1/2 degrees...

I am reluctant to defeat this option...

BooBoo
August 14th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Line the inside of the speaker hole with electrical tape. Leave a 1\4 to 1\2 inch outside the hole and wrap it under the speaker cab as a flange so it doesn't get bunched up inside. The tape should provide a less slick surface than the metal and should hold the cab without it being too tight. Don't fix the pole, fix the hole.