PDA

View Full Version : Best Monthly Series for staying current

Wayne White
September 30th, 2011, 07:24 PM
I was buying Star Disc Pop & Country each month. They quit & I started getting the Chartbuster Country & Pop Release each month, first they dropped to 12 songs, now to 8 (with vocal versions). I am looking for a good quality, but affordable way to stay up with new releases. Any suggestions?

Roy Dennis
September 30th, 2011, 08:03 PM
I suppose it depends where your from, as I'm in the UK I get a Sunfly monthly hits which has 18 tracks per disc, Mr Entertainer also has 18 tracks. EZH do a by monthly and Zoom do about a 3 monthly Hits selection.

Another option is Downloads
Sunfly & Zoom are doing legal downloads, at least they are legal in UK.

For me to order chartbuster or pop hits monthly I would have quite large postal charges added.:f

KenKelley
October 4th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Another option is Downloads
Sunfly & Zoom are doing legal downloads, at least they are legal in UK.

Roy,

I've been downloading Sunfly & Zoom MP3+G's from Tricerasoft that appears to be located in Calafornia (USA). They appear to be legit.

Have you heard anything about them?

Thanks!

Lonman
October 4th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Roy,

I've been downloading Sunfly & Zoom MP3+G's from Tricerasoft that appears to be located in Calafornia (USA). They appear to be legit.

Thanks!

Their website is on a California server, they are actually based in Brampton, Ontario - Canada.
According to posts made directly by them on another forum, they do claim do have license for each song they offer and are useable by kj's in pro shows.
Now it's debatable whether a UK license (which they are) is legal for use in the US since the MCPS state for worldwide use - minus US & Canada. I would think as long as licenses are obtained and paid for, the only thing we'd need to worry about is whether the club we play in secure their PR fees.
Those same tracks (Sunfly/Zoom) are also available via Selectatrack which state the same thing - and offer more companies. I prefer an actual disc and they offer that option (as well as downloads) where Tricerasoft doesn't offer anything but download.

Roy Dennis
October 4th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Roy,

Thanks!
Yes Ken, I have an account with them, they do Sunfly, Zoom, SBI Global, Karaoke Planet, Tropical Zone, Sing king, and recently state that they obtained the rights for Music Maestro.
You pay up front for some credits, then if you have internet access at your show and someone requests a song you don't have, you can download then without having to mess about with your credit card details.
I like Lonman prefer to have my music on disc and have a monthly Sunfly hits sent to me, but the above idea is handy for the odd song request you don't have.

KenKelley
October 4th, 2011, 08:37 PM
I would think as long as licenses are obtained and paid for, the only thing we'd need to worry about is whether the club we play in secure their PR fees.

Lonman,

Thanks for the Info!

I have been saving all my purchase receipts (I carry them as well as all my disks to every show) just in case. There were 67 cases from Virginia Beach to Richmond and up to Arlington, VA of piracy. I think it was True Tone that went in search of and caught them.

I shall check the other site you mentioned, haven't run accross that one.

KenKelley
October 4th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Yes Ken, I have an account with them, they do Sunfly, Zoom, SBI Global, Karaoke Planet, Tropical Zone, Sing king, and recently state that they obtained the rights for Music Maestro.
You pay up front for some credits, then if you have internet access at your show and someone requests a song you don't have, you can download then without having to mess about with your credit card details.
I like Lonman prefer to have my music on disc and have a monthly Sunfly hits sent to me, but the above idea is handy for the odd song request you don't have.

Thanks Roy!

The very feature of downloading a song I don't have has really amazed the singers and keeps them coming back! There have only been a couple requests that were not there (very recent music).

JonPyle
October 5th, 2011, 10:08 AM
I liked the selectatract site, never found that one before. The album price seems fare, individual tracks are a little steep at $3.00... How do you get reciepts when you download these tracks?

ddouglass
October 5th, 2011, 11:04 AM
I liked the selectatract site, never found that one before. The album price seems fare, individual tracks are a little steep at $3.00... How do you get reciepts when you download these tracks?
When you pay you should get an electronic receipt either on the site or sent as an email to you. Then you print them out.
I will say to all at least in the US that you need to be very careful using download sites and make sure they have licenses to provide this service from the producers of the karaoke songs. The legalities of this are still not defined.

JonPyle
October 5th, 2011, 11:23 AM
I have never downloaded songs from the web. I like having that disc in my possession. Now if someone gave you the original or you recieved it as a gift with no reciept, that should be OK right?

Lonman
October 5th, 2011, 03:19 PM
When you pay you should get an electronic receipt either on the site or sent as an email to you. Then you print them out.
I will say to all at least in the US that you need to be very careful using download sites and make sure they have licenses to provide this service from the producers of the karaoke songs. The legalities of this are still not defined.Selectatrack is authorized by all the manus. I've confirmed with most of them (SBI/Sunfly/Zoom/Pocket Songs) - again whether they are legal for US is a different story.
Tricerasoft also claim that they are fully legal & authorized. On another forum they state that they purchase an additional license for insurance for each song even if the manu gives permission.

ddouglass
October 5th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I have never downloaded songs from the web. I like having that disc in my possession. Now if someone gave you the original or you recieved it as a gift with no reciept, that should be OK right?
You don't need a receipt if you have an original disk.

Musicman51
October 11th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Just for some fun reading i guess from an old dude, i'll chime in. Although i promised myself a year ago to stay out of these sort of conversations. If you visit a website who says they are legit, why in the world would you sweat that they're not? why would you care? like dale says, with receipt in hand, why would you even give it another thought? Not a judge in the world gonna hang ya son. Well..unless you live in the state of washington, or new hamsphire, hanging is still legal there. But seriously, i have all but stopped purchasing any new or old music altogher now. I am in the process of dropping my two chartbuster monthly subscriptions.

This year i celebrated my 7th year at the same private club. So i'm doing something right i reckon. I just had a meeting with the boss. And we discussed the ongoing degeneration of this industry, and the hassel of securing new songs, with the continued lawyer-for-hire lawsuites for money situation. And we both agreed we simply don't need the hassle. I also made it clear to my singers that if they want a song, they can purchase it, and i will play it. I listed an announcement in my song books, and listed several websites where they can purchase cdg's. I'm done with the hassle. I just made it clear to my singers, some going on the second generation of singers. With all the mess out there caused by a few greety individual companies and organizations. That i will not be purchasing anymore music PERIOD! If it's a very popular song on the radio, i may pick it up i dunno.

It's mind boggling that a great company like mtu, would dedicate their efforts to come up with fresh idea's, and request for features that we all want, yet, we can't even agree on what to load into their software? If i were David Cox, i'd be banging my head against the wall. Features like tempo change for instance. And haven forbid an upgrade doesn't work right on your puter after download. It's never our fault give'me a break.

This forum here, is the only source for correct karaoke information, and this is the only outlet i visit. The other forums have finger pointing, threats, misinformation, insults, accusations, bullying, name calling. Karaoke use to move in a positive way, with fresh idea's, innovations, with great innovative and creative companies like mtu leading the way. MTU has even spent out of pocket money on legal research. And we still can't come together to decide what to load in their software? rediculious.

It's hard to imagine that sound choice, chartbuster and others, would like to hold back this entertainment industry out of greed. If you asked these companies to be honest with you, and to level with you, they would tell you that they still claim format shifting, and the use of computer presentation software for our shows is still illegal in their opinion. But with their arm around you, assure you, that they will "allow" you to continue if you follow their set of rules, is simply again ...mind boggling. With all this hassle, and misinformation still floating around out there, i'm surprised most of the kj's aren't on ativan or prozac...seriously. Well anyways..i have cows to bring in and milk. You guys carry on and try to find some time to actually enjoy what you're doing...Just a perspective from an old dude....:)

{Note A Disclaimer: I know less about the karaoke industry then anyone on this outlet, and less about mtu software then any newbe that just purchased their first download}

Lonman
October 11th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Actually CB now releases their monthly discs with mp3g format already included along with their digital hard drive with their entire library available for computer use - unfortunately it only works with a competiting hosting software plus they are the only ones right now with streaming - home use only at this point. PHM has their mp3g monthly option. Even SC has it's GEM series designed specifically for kj's using computers. And all have stated as long as you own the discs for everything on the hard drive they wouldn't do any lawsuits. So I don't think the manus aren't as locked on computer users as they once were. Stealing product is what they are primarily fighting against.

Musicman51
October 12th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Lon, nothing, absolutly nothing has changed in their thinking since this idiotic nonsense started. They have kept this industry in turmoil ever since they figured out they need a way to control it. Like i said, their disc sets, their rules. You sit down kurt slep, hand him a nice hot cup of starbucks, hold his hand, tell him you're his best bud, and ask the man to level with you. He will flat out tell you, we are all breaking the law who don't play by his rules. On the record. "Sound Choice states they believe format shifting of their products is still illegal" period! The man has not changed his views, never said he had. You might buy his crap that he changed his mind. Don't be fooled my friend. They walk into your show, you are using a computer and hosting software, you're going to recieve a court paper. You might want to look into purchasing that little sticker to put on your computer they sell lon. Oh and make sure you always have your full set of disc with you. Exactly why we all purchased a software program, was to cut down on carrying those big heavy suitcases of disc. But you do it. You'll do fine i'm sure.

I stand by my thoughts, and nothing i've read to date says other wise. As long as you purchase their specal disc sets, play by their rules, you'll do ok. It's not about piracy, it's about the buck. I'm not going to discuss this any further. Lets not turn this great informational outlet into that other forum. You can argue with everyone over there if you wish. Lets keep this forum free of such unhelpful misinformation, and opinions. Enjoy your karaoke show, and good luck in the future. :)

Roy Dennis
October 12th, 2011, 12:08 PM
This post was originally asking which Disc's to buy to keep a collection current.
Can we keep answers related to that, the legality issues have all been discussed before in a number of previous posts so I don't think it necessary to repeat all that.:f:e

Musicman51
October 12th, 2011, 12:15 PM
yep...i totally agree. However it was brought up in relation to which downloads were safe to stay current. I won't reply further to the thread. Thanks Roy:)

admin
October 20th, 2011, 06:15 PM
yep...i totally agree. However it was brought up in relation to which downloads were safe to stay current. I won't reply further to the thread. Thanks Roy:)
I just tried to call your "registered phone#" on your MTU account... disconnected. Please go to your MTU account and change it to your current one so I can call you.

To log in: https://www.mtu.com/catalog/login.php Your Username is your email, and if you forgot your Password, you can have it CHANGE it and send you a new Password.

Musicman51
October 20th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Admin, i just logged into "My Account" on the mtu website. My contact info is current and correct ??? phone is in my hand, and working ???

swany
October 21st, 2011, 08:34 PM
Quik Hitz, been looking at these at my local pusher, Quinns, Big Rapids, Michigan.

Seem to be up on the pop and so so on the country, but at the price I may make a major purchase for one of my shows. College Bar, and the music suits my step sons tastes better but they do ask him for songs and I try to respond, and the Quik Hitz will fill most needs. I still get the monthly, CB Country.

The downloads seem a better way to get only those requesteds needs.

admin
November 1st, 2011, 07:16 PM
MCPS licensed songs (such as sold by Tricerasoft) are ILLEGAL to play at a show in the USA and Canada.

Playing a Sound Choice disc MAY be illegal, as they didn't pay the licenses for their music. Sony sued them for around $2 to $5 million and settled for $0.25 on the dollar. The other manufacturers who had been pay the full license (aka legal) were livid! To my knowledge, the settlement agreement included that SC would pay licenses in the future; i.e. this was converted from copyright law to CONTRACT LAW... which is very clear and specific. Again to my understanding, SC again didn't pay the royalties and Sony sued them for $19 million. I understand that was the straw that broke SC's back. To continue making money from the Karaoke market, their "business model" is now to sue anyone who plays a SC song, and then you must prove you are innocent... or pay them $4,000+ for their remaining library... regardless of how may discs you bought from them in good faith.

There is one way that is legal to get your Karaoke songs!

1. Buy a music song with vocals (Audio CD, MP3 from Amazon, Walmart, etc., or iTunes and convert their song with their player to MP3).

2. Use Vogone to remove the vocals. Yes, IF there is any reverb, it will remain, but usually it's less than 10% the amplitude of the vocals, so the audience won't hear it when someone is singing the song. The audience focuses on the Singer, not the reverb.

3. Use KHPro to add the lyrics in sync. First open the music with the vocals, tap in the lyrics in sync with the vocal, then replace the music with vocals for the vocal removed version and export your song. For a 3 mnute playing time song, it takes a few tens of seconds more to add the lyrics in sync to the vocals.

We have close to 7,000 KHPro users, and tons of Vogone users. Price is $59.99 for KHPro, and $59.99 for Vogone. For $119.98, you can make any song you can find the audio for... and it's legal. If you own the music with vocals, the songwriter has been paid their royalties.

We are upgrading Vogone and KHPro to make it even easier to buy the music (or open a HDD song file), remove the vocals and save the new song as KMA or MP3G with KMH header to index it in the Songs Database. We'll also be adding it to your Hoster Songs Database for you. How much easier can it get? Well..... :t

Next question...

Lonman
November 1st, 2011, 07:51 PM
Next question...

So if ANY MCPS track is not legal for use in the US, this would include not only downloaded/custom tracks (selectatrack/karaoke-version/tricerasoft) but even the original manu discs (ie from Sunfly, Zoom, or any of the overseas manus, which SC are/were licensed overseas as well as of their last few years & the GEM series, etc.) I am assuming as well. Which I guess I would have to wonder, where would the jurisdiction lie as far as enforcement - RIAA, ASCAP or the likes? I'm sure the manus wouldn't be involved especially if you bought the tracks directly from them or their affiliates? I buy a good majority of my customs via Selectatrack, and have many Zoom & Sunfly products from over the years.

Most of the problems concerning many of the manus weren't so much the music licensing but the 'sync' licensing and permission to reproduce the lyrics either in print or on screen. My question is how would it be legal to make your own graphics without obtaining proper sync rights to use in a commercial venue/show?

admin
November 2nd, 2011, 11:32 PM
MCPS licensed songs (such as sold by Tricerasoft) are ILLEGAL to play at a show in the USA and Canada.
We have a copy of the MCPS license. It's hiding after our move last March, but we'll find it soon. I remember a Paragraph in this "Legal Agreement" that specifically stated to the effect that "any MCPS licensed song cannot be played in the USA, and (I think) Canada".

So if ANY MCPS track is not legal for use in the US, this would include not only downloaded/custom tracks (selectatrack/karaoke-version/tricerasoft) but even the original manu discs (ie from Sunfly, Zoom, or any of the overseas manus, which SC are/were licensed overseas as well as of their last few years & the GEM series, etc.) I am assuming as well. Which I guess I would have to wonder, where would the jurisdiction lie as far as enforcement - RIAA, ASCAP or the likes? I'm sure the manus wouldn't be involved especially if you bought the tracks directly from them or their affiliates? I buy a good majority of my customs via Selectatrack, and have many Zoom & Sunfly products from over the years.

Most of the problems concerning many of the manus weren't so much the music licensing but the 'sync' licensing and permission to reproduce the lyrics either in print or on screen. My question is how would it be legal to make your own graphics without obtaining proper sync rights to use in a commercial venue/show?
Who is policing MCPS violations? No idea... don't care either. I just know what their Legal Agreement requires of ALL licensees who sign. Suffice it to say, they have the legal right to enforce violations. It appears that every dollar you pay for MCPS licensed songs is in jeopardy. Once I find their agreement, I'll quote the exact Paragraph so you will know for sure.

As to Tricerasoft, I have watched them since their inception as "Tyrannosoft" that they were legally forced to change their name for infringement. They have copied MTU products from their start, and finally renamed their "Hoster work-alike" to... "Video Hoster". FACT: We took legal actions against them in the USA and Canada and won. See our HOSTER Registrations and published successful defenses of our Mark (http://www.mtu.com/support/hoster-registered-mark.htm).

I have learned many things in my 41.9 years in business. One in particular is that "if you do anything illegal, one day it will be revealed."

It is a known fact that MTU has fought against Sound Choice and other Producers who tried to intimidate the world into believing among several "myths", that media shifting songs from a CDG disc into a computer compressed file is illegal. That is incorrect based on IPJustice.org's search of WestLaw and NexusLexus legal databases. There are court cases to substantiate their reported findings on their website (http://www.mtu.com/support/copyright-notes.htm).

Read Sound Choice's retraction letter (http://www.uskaraokealliance.com/images/SoundChoiceKaraokePressRelease9-08.pdf).

MTU will continue to bring LEGAL fun to this industry. :w

Lonman
November 3rd, 2011, 04:49 AM
We have a copy of the MCPS license. It's hiding after our move last March, but we'll find it soon. I remember a Paragraph in this "Legal Agreement" that specifically stated to the effect that "any MCPS licensed song cannot be played in the USA, and (I think) Canada".

Who is policing MCPS violations? No idea... don't care either. I just know what their Legal Agreement requires of ALL licensees who sign. Suffice it to say, they have the legal right to enforce violations. It appears that every dollar you pay for MCPS licensed songs is in jeopardy. Once I find their agreement, I'll quote the exact Paragraph so you will know for sure. :w
I think you are thinking of paragraphs 1.40 outlining where, and connecting to 3.16 of the licensing agreement.
http://www.prsformusic.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/Karaoke%20New%20Agreement%2001%2007%2010.pdf

Musicman51
November 3rd, 2011, 08:42 AM
Admin, you are 100% correct. And i do use vogone, and khpro to write many custom disc, over 500 to date.

I can tell you, that when i switched over to CDG's from laser, and cassettes. I spent over $2,300 at sound choice, over the phone, in about 15 minutes. The sleps even sent me a free gift pack, with cold cup holders, a sound choice ball cap, and a coffee mug out of appreciation. Now, those same people, are as much as calling me a crook, because i have a computer based karaoke show. Kinda puts a bad taste in my mouth.

Up around these parts, there are 5 of us KJ/DJ who cover a 40 mile area. If you want karaoke, or a DJ, you deal with us. And NONE of us use a sound choice product. One of us is still disc based, and she will not out of respect for the rest of us, use a sound choice product. Now..... not only us KJ's. But we have made darn sure, this applies to our customers as well. All of us, have a section of our song book, that deals with the antics of sound choice, and that fly by night karaoke police outfit, the KIAA or whatever it's called. We have asked our singers, NOT to bring us up a sound choice disc from home for us to load and play. MANY... of our singers do karaoke at home. We explained to them about sound choice, and printed out from the web, and given them a copy of a you tube video of how they (Sound Choice) accused a disc based kj of having a computer show. And they to, will not purchase a sound choice product online.

I don't need to do this (karaoke) for a living, thank god. But out of respect for those honest kj's who do. We stand united! I have all but stopped purchasing any new CDG's from anyone. I will use mtu products, and build my own. They are better, and tapped in time with the music. I will put my custom built CDG's against any commercial products any day of the week. :)

admin
November 12th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Admin, you are 100% correct. And i do use vogone, and khpro to write many custom disc, over 500 to date.

I don't need to do this (karaoke) for a living, thank god. But out of respect for those honest kj's who do. We stand united! I have all but stopped purchasing any new CDG's from anyone. I will use mtu products, and build my own. They are better, and tapped in time with the music. I will put my custom built CDG's against any commercial products any day of the week. :)
Musicman51, whatever you do, DO NOT delete those KHPro .KPR project files. You will want to use them in a different way soon. :w

djbikeerrob
May 7th, 2013, 11:55 PM
I have been using those services as well. But i have to say that in my area I seem to be the only legit host. I walked into a karaoke lounge the other day after my own early show had ended and the host was actualy streaming? stealing a song off of Kara Fun's website I watched and she did it all night long. This was a Karaoke lounge. Talk about piracy. In my area the biggest company / host is also a pirate. He pays his help 50 bucks a night and it is all pirated music and he has a lock on most places in town because yep he is the cheapest one going. No one is doing a damned thing about it. And yes I have reported it several times no one I write to even acknowledges my emails much less does anything about it. It is like shoveling *&^% against the tide.

Rockrz
May 17th, 2013, 12:24 AM
They walk into your show, you are using a computer and hosting software

I heard as long as you have the originals, can proof you purchased them, and you only have them loaded on to one hard drive... you are legit.

Is this still true, or do they still try to sue you?

djbikeerrob
May 17th, 2013, 04:16 AM
as far as i know yes that is still true but i have herd rumors that some folks still are getting sued. but as long as you do what you said they will not win.

Lonman
May 21st, 2013, 04:26 PM
I heard as long as you have the originals, can proof you purchased them, and you only have them loaded on to one hard drive... you are legit.

Is this still true, or do they still try to sue you?You will need to go through and pay for an audit if you are using Sound Choice - and possibly Chartbuster/Digitrax. These are the only two companies at this time doing anything.

djbikeerrob
May 21st, 2013, 05:23 PM
PAY for an audit? how can they want you to pay for something they are unjustly accusing you of? If it is unjust that is? doesn't seem right. innocence should not have to be paid for by the accused.

RIKKI TIKKI
May 21st, 2013, 05:41 PM
PAY for an audit? how can they want you to pay for something they are unjustly accusing you of? If it is unjust that is? doesn't seem right. innocence should not have to be paid for by the accused.

Go to the Legal Forum on Karaoke Scene Magazine... You Can Gain Some Insight... And Read For Hours... Your Mileage May Vary!

Rockrz
May 21st, 2013, 05:55 PM

I think I'd tell them to go get a court order... because that opens the door for a counter suit when they find I've purchased all my own stuff, have the originals with receipts.

Then, you could sue for false prosecution because they would be using the court system to falsely accuse someone... which means you would be able to win a lawsuit for substantial damages.

Surely they get some evidence of wrong doing before trying to audit someone, right? Even the IRS doesn't just audit without there being some evidence of something not being right.

That'd be a good question... has anyone been accused by a manufacturer of wrong doing, taken to court and lost, and then got counter sued for damages?

Lonman
May 21st, 2013, 06:07 PM
PAY for an audit? how can they want you to pay for something they are unjustly accusing you of? If it is unjust that is? doesn't seem right. innocence should not have to be paid for by the accused.The only accusation is making an unauthorized copy to your hard drive which each discs state no unauthorized copies. If you use SC the choice is pay for authorization through an audit or wait until they sue you for making an unauthorized media shift & pay a lot more for the audit and court fees. Or no audit using original discs or no audit using no SC material.

Lonman
May 21st, 2013, 06:10 PM
I think I'd tell them to go get a court order... because that opens the door for a counter suit when they find I've purchased all my own stuff, have the originals with receipts.

Then, you could sue for false prosecution because they would be using the court system to falsely accuse someone... which means you would be able to win a lawsuit for substantial damages.

Surely they get some evidence of wrong doing before trying to audit someone, right? Even the IRS doesn't just audit without there being some evidence of something not being right.

That'd be a good question... has anyone been accused by a manufacturer of wrong doing, taken to court and lost, and then got counter sued for damages?Yeah, many have thought that way as well that have ended up paying quite a bit and some getting their stuff confiscated BY a court ordered judgement against them.
Yes they do investigations, but unless you are using original discs, they cannot tell if your hard drive has actual stuff you shifted or bought off ebay - no way to tell and since SC was never sold on computer format (the GEM series is, but it's different colors than the regular discs), the only way they can distinguish is with an audit. Submitted by the kj or through the courts.
Haven't heard of any kj fighting it and winning to date.

Rockrz
May 21st, 2013, 06:26 PM
So, if I buy a from a dealer on eBay... that doesn't count as being a legitimate purchase?

And, MTU says it's legal to put your VD+Gs on your hard drive... are they incorrect?

Rockrz
May 21st, 2013, 06:58 PM
I have reported it several times no one I write to even acknowledges my emails much less does anything about it

I found out very early in life that if one is gonna be a nark... one must live their lives es in perfection cause someone will come along and nark on me for something I'm doing wrong, just like I was willing to do to the other guy.

I always had mixed feelings about being a nark... it's have to be something seriously against the law like murder er something before I'd be a nark.

I know that may tick some folks off, but what we sow is what we reap.
No way around that, so what we do to others is what is going to come back to us.

I figure on this karaoke stuff, if a guy is cheatin... it'll catch up to him since the publishers do stand a chance to at least get assets from the venue.

Lonman
May 21st, 2013, 07:09 PM
So, if I buy a from a dealer on eBay... that doesn't count as being a legitimate purchase?As long as it's an original disc and not a counterfeit - it's a legitimate purchase. You can even buy a used original from someone and it will be just as legit. This isn't about buying discs, it's about how you ultimately use them. Play them straight from disc, no audit, no lawsuits. Shift them to computer, you run the risk of both. Cheaper if you go to them first, more expensive if you get named in a suit.

And, MTU says it's legal to put your CD+Gs on your hard drive... are they incorrect?I'm not arguing with MTU's findings, just going by 1 manufacturer that IS actively suing and are winning in most of their suits for unauthorized copies of their product shifted from original disc to computer. Many of the other manus don't seem to mind at this time.

Rockrz
May 21st, 2013, 07:15 PM
just going by 1 manufacturer that IS actively suing and is winning in most of their suits for unauthorized copies of their product shifted from original disc to computer

Well, if there is actual cases where the courts are ruling that you cannot convert your CD+Gs over to a hard drive... then that means you cannot legally do that.

I wonder if any music publishers are suing DJs for putting regular music on a hard drive and playing it in a public venue... cause if you can't do this with CD+Gs, then certainly you cannot do it with regular music.

Rockrz
May 21st, 2013, 07:40 PM
Yeah, many have thought that way as well that have ended up paying quite a bit and some getting their stuff confiscated BY a court ordered judgement against them.
Yes they do investigations, but unless you are using original discs, they cannot tell if your hard drive has actual stuff you shifted or bought off ebay - no way to tell and since SC was never sold on computer format (the GEM series is, but it's different colors than the regular discs), the only way they can distinguish is with an audit. Submitted by the kj or through the courts.

Why pay for an audit if they are gonna say it's illegal to convert to a hard drive... sounds like the thing to do at that point is just quit... or start using the original discs

What do you do? Take all your originals and purchase receipts to each show in case the karaoke police show up?

Lonman
May 21st, 2013, 08:05 PM
Well, if there is actual cases where the courts are ruling that you cannot convert your CD+Gs over to a hard drive... then that means you cannot legally do that.No there are actual cases that rule that shifting them WITHOUT their permission (again Sound Choice only at this time) is not legal. Going through the audit for Sound Choice will authorize the media shift.

I wonder if any music publishers are suing DJs for putting regular music on a hard drive and playing it in a public venue... cause if you can't do this with CD+Gs, then certainly you cannot do it with regular music. Publishers won't go after dj's, they will go after the club they play in for the PRO fees - but if an illegal dj (no paid for music) is working there, then they will hit up the dj too.
Regular music do not have the same licensing. CDG is an audio/visual where as music is just audio. Sync rights do not apply, so different rules for non-cdg music. Stupid yes!

Rockrz
May 21st, 2013, 08:11 PM
No there are actual cases that rule that shifting them WITHOUT their permission is not legal. Going through the audit for Sound Choice will authorize the media shift.Huh? Shifting from disc to hard drive without permission is OK?

Or, did you mean to say shifting with their permission is OK?

This is all so goofy... if you purchased the original, then you should be able to have a back up whether it be in a CDR or one a hard drive.

So, if you ditch the latop... can you play your back up CDR at your shows if you purchased the original?

Lonman
May 21st, 2013, 10:03 PM
Huh? Shifting from disc to hard drive without permission is OK?

Or, did you mean to say shifting with their permission is OK?

This is all so goofy... if you purchased the original, then you should be able to have a back up whether it be in a CDR or one a hard drive.

So, if you ditch the latop... can you play your back up CDR at your shows if you purchased the original?
Per Sound Choice, shifting THEIR product to computer (or CDR) is illegal (not ok) unless you submit to an audit - which the audit is showing SC that the SC tracks on the computer match up 1 to 1 with the original discs.
Once you get the audit, the media shift of their product is now considered authorized (ok).

Rockrz
May 22nd, 2013, 03:01 AM
What if you only have two SC disks and you aren't planning on getting any more?

Will they still make you pay $4000 for the audit?

Does that cover air fare, hotel and car rental to get to their place... or do they come to you?

Just curious about the details of the audit.

Lonman
May 22nd, 2013, 05:43 AM
What if you only have two SC disks and you aren't planning on getting any more?

Will they still make you pay $4000 for the audit?

Does that cover air fare, hotel and car rental to get to their place... or do they come to you?

Just curious about the details of the audit.The audit costs $225 I believe and no if you only had 2 discs, they will most likely work with you for a few bucks. And it's usually done by Skype or they'll send someone out to verify.

Rockrz
May 22nd, 2013, 11:22 AM
OK, I may offend someone... but, that's not too bad to assure that they won't be on your back in the future.

What about the other manufacturers? How do you get permission from them to go digital?

RIKKI TIKKI
May 22nd, 2013, 02:22 PM
Rockrz,

At this time Sound Choice is the only manufacturer that is Suing the KJ or Venue over Illegal or Unauthorized Media Shifts of their Original Media (CDG's) to a hardrive. Chartbuster has also been indicating that they are "watching" the SC results of their Business Model of Litigation to expose the Piracy or Trade Mark Infringement of their product. As Lonman states, as long as you can prove 1:1 disk to hardrive ratio, and the venue has paid their PRO ( BMI, ASCAP, ) Fees, then you should be safe from prosecution... but without the Audit from SC authorizing the media-shift to computer, you could still be investigated (during show) and named in a lawsuit... then during discovery at the trial, an audit MUST be performed, and the cost to the KJ is much higher...

The forum section at Karaoke Scene Magazine has a lot of information that we won't re-hash here, but if you're interested, go sign up to the forum at karaokescene.com and read to your hearts content...

Rockrz
May 22nd, 2013, 02:44 PM
then you should be safe from prosecution...

I think a smart business person would be troubled by this "should be" stuff and would seek a more concrete solution such as paying to authorize your shift so it doesn't cost you alot more in the future if they bust you.

That'd be the legally safe thing to do since it is what it is...

RIKKI TIKKI
May 22nd, 2013, 03:19 PM
That's the current argument among KJ's... Do I get an audit, prior to getting sued, thus paying one manufacturer for the permission to download or upload their cdg's or digital mp3g's... or wait to be investigated, get sued, and prove 1:1 compliance. Not use SC product at all. Be Original Disk KJ Using SC cdg's as they were originally intended to be used... Choice is yours, but very small percentages of KJ's are paying for Audit, until they get sued, and then even the worst pirates ( loaded Hardrives purchased without having discs ) can Purchase SC's Gem Series and become legit, or allowed to carry on and compete with you for your gigs.

SC is not going after the main problem, ie. the hardrive sellers on E-bay or Craig's list, because that would put a kink in their current business model, of suing anybody that is using a computer to play SC content, where their Logo is copied (Shown on monitor) and then can be sued, and made to pay for their transgressions by purchasing a Court Ordered Audit for $500 and/or the Gem Series for $8000, which can then be shifted to your computer... Nice Business Model Right? Also they haven't produced any new music in 3 years, so it is all of their older product, that they were able to legally license, and produce in a limited quantity... so they are a stagnant Manufacturer at best... who are using litigation to sell or force compliance to previous customers, pirates, infringers, etc. and liquidate old product...

I just disagree with their method of Litigation to recover lost income caused by the pirating of their Intellectual Property... Where the main problem (hardrive sellers) is not their 1st priority... IMHO

Lonman
May 22nd, 2013, 03:32 PM
I was one to pay for the audit. I have over 700 SC discs that get used and requested 7 nights a week. It was a wise move IMO. If you only have 2 SC discs and don't plan on getting anymore, contact them and see what it would cost, otherwise i'd just leave those two discs out of the equation & use the other manus. From what I understand, most kj's have got written ok's from most of the manus to shift their product.

Lonman
May 22nd, 2013, 03:35 PM
Choice is yours, but very small percentages of KJ's are paying for Audit, until they get sued, and then even the worst pirates ( loaded Hardrives purchased without having discs ) can Purchase SC's Gem Series and become legit, or allowed to carry on and compete with you for your gigs.The ones up here had to buy the GEM, but from what I am understanding from customers that used to frequent their shows, they had to get rid of everything else on their hard drives so that's ALL they have is the GEM. One singer told me on kj went from over 150K songs to 5000!

RIKKI TIKKI
May 22nd, 2013, 03:55 PM
The ones up here had to buy the GEM, but from what I am understanding from customers that used to frequent their shows, they had to get rid of everything else on their hard drives so that's ALL they have is the GEM. One singer told me on kj went from over 150K songs to 5000!

I've read that also... just don't know how much the post litigation process would uncover a pirate that is still using a loaded hardrive, once they are protected by the Certification from Sound Choice allowing them to shift content from the Gem? But I agree that is what SC should be doing in order to put a little fear in the Pirates, as well as squash a few of the loaded hardrive sellers on the internet...

Lonman
May 22nd, 2013, 04:12 PM
I've read that also... just don't know how much the post litigation process would uncover a pirate that is still using a loaded hardrive, once they are protected by the Certification from Sound Choice allowing them to shift content from the Gem? But I agree that is what SC should be doing in order to put a little fear in the Pirates, as well as squash a few of the loaded hardrive sellers on the internet...Well from what I understand (my cousin worked at one of the places that got nailed), the busted have to sign an agreement that they will not use pirated material in the future and if caught doing so would result in stiffer penalties including stiffer fines & possible confiscation of equipment.

Rockrz
May 22nd, 2013, 05:57 PM
Think I should write them a letter and ask them if I can move my 3 SC dicss (just got one more last night) to digital. I'm actually only doing gospel musc, so there's not much to be had in that genre by SC.

Even though I'm not going to be playing any bars, I'd like to be legally able to run all this on my laptop.

Roy Dennis
May 22nd, 2013, 06:43 PM
I would think if you only have 3 Soundchoice records just discard them.:r

Rockrz
May 23rd, 2013, 12:07 AM
I would think if you only have 3 Soundchoice records just discard them.:r

That's not going to happen... I'll do the best I can to be legal, and if I need to pay $250 then it's a tax write off... I don't care.

I also have some Chartbusters, so I guess I need to see who owns their music now and ask for an audit from them to.

Or, I could simply document all my purchases and leave it at that since I'm not going to be in any nightclubs anyway. I know I'm not ripping anyone off and it's highly unlikely I'll ever be approached.

Lonman
May 23rd, 2013, 05:52 AM
Digitrax and/or Piracy Recovery own the Chartbuster trademark now.
http://www.digitraxentertainment.com/

bigjohn
May 23rd, 2013, 09:48 PM
Just for some fun reading i guess from an old dude, i'll chime in. Although i promised myself a year ago to stay out of these sort of conversations. If you visit a website who says they are legit, why in the world would you sweat that they're not? why would you care? like dale says, with receipt in hand, why would you even give it another thought? Not a judge in the world gonna hang ya son. Well..unless you live in the state of washington, or new hamsphire, hanging is still legal there. But seriously, i have all but stopped purchasing any new or old music altogher now. I am in the process of dropping my two chartbuster monthly subscriptions.

This year i celebrated my 7th year at the same private club. So i'm doing something right i reckon. I just had a meeting with the boss. And we discussed the ongoing degeneration of this industry, and the hassel of securing new songs, with the continued lawyer-for-hire lawsuites for money situation. And we both agreed we simply don't need the hassle. I also made it clear to my singers that if they want a song, they can purchase it, and i will play it. I listed an announcement in my song books, and listed several websites where they can purchase cdg's. I'm done with the hassle. I just made it clear to my singers, some going on the second generation of singers. With all the mess out there caused by a few greety individual companies and organizations. That i will not be purchasing anymore music PERIOD! If it's a very popular song on the radio, i may pick it up i dunno.

It's mind boggling that a great company like mtu, would dedicate their efforts to come up with fresh idea's, and request for features that we all want, yet, we can't even agree on what to load into their software? If i were David Cox, i'd be banging my head against the wall. Features like tempo change for instance. And haven forbid an upgrade doesn't work right on your puter after download. It's never our fault give'me a break.

This forum here, is the only source for correct karaoke information, and this is the only outlet i visit. The other forums have finger pointing, threats, misinformation, insults, accusations, bullying, name calling. Karaoke use to move in a positive way, with fresh idea's, innovations, with great innovative and creative companies like mtu leading the way. MTU has even spent out of pocket money on legal research. And we still can't come together to decide what to load in their software? rediculious.

It's hard to imagine that sound choice, chartbuster and others, would like to hold back this entertainment industry out of greed. If you asked these companies to be honest with you, and to level with you, they would tell you that they still claim format shifting, and the use of computer presentation software for our shows is still illegal in their opinion. But with their arm around you, assure you, that they will "allow" you to continue if you follow their set of rules, is simply again ...mind boggling. With all this hassle, and misinformation still floating around out there, i'm surprised most of the kj's aren't on ativan or prozac...seriously. Well anyways..i have cows to bring in and milk. You guys carry on and try to find some time to actually enjoy what you're doing...Just a perspective from an old dude....:)

{Note A Disclaimer: I know less about the karaoke industry then anyone on this outlet, and less about mtu software then any newbe that just purchased their first download}

Great input yes it is sad and I myself have shows in the same places now for years and could careless what is right or wrong now a days. Hosts today out there have the music that's about it cut prices to the bone and make things hard for the good hosts out there that can keep a show for years at a time. I have many complaints but I just forget about them and move forward. The only music I update now is let say if I don't have the song this week will have it next week if its on karaoke. No need to carry all the tunes that never get played.

Roy Dennis
May 24th, 2013, 04:24 AM
The title of this thread is:
Best Monthly Series for staying current.

But again it has been diverted to the legal issues :e

Sound choice is out of the equation as they no longer seem to produce new music.

I still have my monthly Sunfly disc delivered but apart from that I download most other tracks from the various suppliers available.
The beauty of these download sites is you can view & listen to all the available versions and decide there and then which you think is the best version before purchasing :)

I don't think any one particular manufacturer always makes the best version. With the download site you get the chance to make an informed decision.

RIKKI TIKKI
May 24th, 2013, 06:23 AM
This thread was started in 2011, and as we all know the litigation factor is especially important to KJ's here in the USA... Roy and a few others from abroad have another organization that protects and licenses the music and copywrites of the song writers/performers of Their own Intellectual Property (PRS) in the UK. Some of the more popular download sites are not licensed to distribute here in the USA or Canada... so it's a risk that some KJ's here are taking, by downloading from sites other than All Star or Tricerasoft... the business model of Sound Choice is still viable, if you have any of their cdg's uploaded to your hardrive... since they are pursuing the legal avenue available to them, to recoup some of their lost profits, caused by piracy of their music library... thus they have not made any new karaoke music for approximately 3 years... their income is derived from the lawsuits, audits and the sale of the Gem series, which is most of their core music that still could be licensed here in the USA, and ripped to CDG's, that SC allows to be downloaded by the purchasers of this Gem series of 6000 songs on 220 cdg's... most of us "old-timers" fulfill the client requests with individual downloads, or custom cdg's... but I for one still await the day when you can operate in this business again without worrying if your purchased music is truly legally licensed, and you are above reproach by the one or two manufacturers that believe suing their customers is a better business model... didn't mean to hijack this thread, but the current situation in keeping current with your karaoke music, also involves knowing whether the music you purchase is legally licensed, and that you don't face litigation in the future for buying the same, in good faith... Thanks for letting me vent...

Rockrz
March 8th, 2017, 01:03 PM
Just use a credit card (not a debit card)... and if they take a payment that is un-authorized you have the right under banking regulations to have your bank reverse it.

Problem solved... or rather avoided before it even happens. :)

Lonman
March 9th, 2017, 05:05 AM
Digitrax and/or Piracy Recovery own the Chartbuster trademark now.
http://www.digitraxentertainment.com/I know this old but for some reason the thread popped up as unread. But it is probably already known - but PEP (aka SC) now owns the CB trademark and are going the registration/audits for Chartbuster tracks now as well.

Rockrz
March 9th, 2017, 10:37 AM
Did SC ever start making new karaoke tracks?

Lonman
March 9th, 2017, 02:57 PM
Did SC ever start making new karaoke tracks?Nope. I don\'t see it happening either. PEP tried to do a crowdfunding thing for a couple months to aid in costs of production of new music - they couldn\'t even get close to their target.
So as long as they aren\'t making music they continue on the litigious way to continue their income flow with Sound Choice & Chartbuster trademarks - well actually now their new angle is \"service mark infringement\", which they claim causes confusion to patrons causing them to think kj\'s are in some way affiliated with Sound Choice Entertainment - their karaoke show company. THey are also focusing more on venues now than kj\'s since they lost two federal districts stating their trademark suits were pretty much bs.

Rockrz
March 9th, 2017, 05:09 PM
Might be a good idea to use the MTU software and remove the SC logo as to not confuse anybody.

Of course they might sue ya for that too!

So... who out there is making new music that is decent quality?

Lonman
March 9th, 2017, 05:18 PM
Might be a good idea to use the MTU software and remove the SC logo as to not confuse anybody.

Of course they might sue ya for that too!

So... who out there is making new music that is decent quality?
Plenty like Party Tyme, Digitrax (although it\'s more back catalog stuff and their own renditions it seems more these days), Karaoke Version, SBI, Sunfly, Mr Entertainer, Abraxa, Zoom, among a few others but it\'s a matter of what is actually available in the states. Most of the UK manufacturers cannot sell downloads to the states unfortunately. Sunfly, Party Tyme (aka karaoke.net) both have US download sites. You can still order discs from the UK - usually through 3rd party retailers but not the manufacturer direct. Karaoke.net is fully licensed for both home & commercial use so that is a great source, but they are still on the upstart, aprox 8600+ songs available, but do have stuff no one else has and they are making it a mission to at the very least release everything they can that is to date exclusive to Sound Choice.

Roy Dennis
March 9th, 2017, 06:19 PM
I\'m UK based and always use http://www.selectatrack.com/ (http://forum.mtu.com/\"http://www.selectatrack.com/\")
For Downloads, they have music downloads from about 20 different manufacturers But they are now displaying this message on the site.
Digital Song Restrictions

Over the recent months we have been forced to apply restrictions on many songs due to an a announcement by the PRS (the society responsible for granting licenses & collecting/distributing royalties for song writers & publishers in the UK) informing all UK karaoke suppliers that download & streaming karaoke usage of a selection of well known song writers and any songs controlled by the Sony/ATV publishing company is no longer allowed, meaning that many songs written or performed by certain artists will no longer be available to download or sing online, so the MP3+G and MP4 download options have been removed. All songs can still currently be ordered on CDG & DVD disc.

We are in ongoing discussions with the PRS and Sony/ATV regarding our fears of the negative impact this will have on our already shrinking industry and the obvious piracy issues it will cause, and of course trying to get the songs re-instated in digital formats. We will update this page as more information becomes available.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience caused, but as a long standing and responsible PRS license holder we are bound by their terms and therefore this is totally out of our hands!

If you have any questions or want more information please contact us, sales@selectatrack.com (http://forum.mtu.com/\"mailto:sales@selectatrack.com\")

I still buy a monthly disc of Hits from Mr. Entertainer as they are 18 tracks for £10.95 for me.

I recently purchased some individual tracks from Karaoke.net with my debit card, the only thing with that was Visa charges, The tracks $1.99 Visa exchange rate is 1.22 which makes it £1.64 but then Visa adds £1.00 minimum charge making it £2.63.

The Selecatrack downloads Are about £2.00 a track.

Lonman
March 9th, 2017, 06:24 PM
Unfortunately, SAT has been off limits in the states for a few years now.
Looks as if the \'disc\' format may be the format of the future :r

Lonman
January 13th, 2018, 06:26 PM
I\\\'m UK based and always use http://www.selectatrack.com/ (\"http://forum.mtu.com/\\\"http://www.selectatrack.com/\\\"\")
With the new lawsuit judgements handed out against most of the UK manufacturers, you are going to have to keep us updated on availability. SBI seems to have been hit the hardest with $221 million judgement against them.

Roy Dennis
January 14th, 2018, 06:22 AM
With the new lawsuit judgements handed out against most of the UK manufacturers, you are going to have to keep us updated on availability. SBI seems to have been hit the hardest with $221 million judgement against them.

Well early days yet but I will post if I notice any loss of manufacturers.

Selectatrack still offers downloads but mainly of older titles.

It seems most if not all new titles are only available as a custom disc.

It seems much the same if you go to the individual manufacturers sites.
I looked on https://downloads.sbikaraoke.com/site/search and entered new downloads for 2018 and it came up with four new songs available as shown in attachment.

Roy Dennis
January 14th, 2018, 07:48 AM
An interesting observation, I just pressed the Refresh button on Karaoke.net Buy songs feature and it showing 22,213 songs available, before pressing this Refresh button it was only showing 9233 aprox, I normally refresh this about once a month, it has been known to refresh with less than shown previously.
After looking at the Title/Artist it seem to be repeats, as if its doubled up on the tracks.

As shown in attachment:

I notice now I can pay via PayPal which might work out better for me as when I was paying with Visa debit they charge £1 per transaction exchange rate.

Roy Dennis
January 15th, 2018, 05:22 AM
Update on previous post. The doubling up on titles, they are two different formats, an HD & Ziped up MP3+G.
Once I full paged the dialog it shows.

I was wrong with the PayPal option. that is only available if you go to their main site, I don’t see the option in buy songs within Hoster.