PDA

View Full Version : Report Hoster 5.02 Problems - CLOSED - See 5.03

admin
July 10th, 2011, 07:10 AM
We thank you in advance to ONLY post Video Hoster or Lite 5.02 bugs in this Thread. :w

We released Hoster (and Lite) 5.02 that added 2 new features, 2 upgrades and 9 bug gfixes, including crashing reported in 5.01 in Auto made when a song finished playing in the Playlist.

You can download version 5.02 from http://www.mtu.com/upgrades/hoster.htm

aznetbear
July 10th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Re: Report Hoster 5.02 Problems

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznetbear
I know MTU has worked hard on correcting issues that cause hoster to crash, however Hoster still crashes on occasion. Here is what I experienced during one of my shows:

I had just added an Karaoke file to the PLAYLIST and was moving it in proper position in the palylist, when the current playing song ended, the program was attemting to CUE the next singer when the crash occurred.

I run Hoster in AUTO mode and have the PLAYLIST set to "delete after play".

It appears that most of the crashes occur when adding/moving/deleting items in the PLAYLIST. Could this be because Hoster is unable to gain access to the playlist if we(the Host) is updating the playlist or is the multiple updates occurring at the same time to the playlist the issue.

Again, I am extremely pleased with the current version of Hoster and agree that most of the issues have been resolved but, thought this needs mentioning and possibly can be corrected in a future release.

Thanks! Keep up the great work, can't wait for next release with new features.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This specific bug was fixed in the just released Version 5.02. You can see this listed as item #5 in http://www.mtu.com/upgrades/hoster.htm#502.

We have disabled version 5.01 from ever being installed again to... yes... force everyone to upgrade to 5.02. It is painless, and 502.06 can install if you have 5.00 installed (install date of April 25, 2011) so EVERYONE with 5.00 can get this bug fix.

All you do is download the installation file from http://www.mtu.com/upgrades/hoster.htm#Downloads. Please upgrade ASAP so you will not experience this crash any longer!

Version 5.02 has 2 new features, 2 changed features and 9 bug fixes.

I have updated to 5.02 and still had the issue. There was no forum for 5.02 problems, thats why I posted to 5.01 problems but changed the title to 5.02 problems:)

TheMusicGeek
July 10th, 2011, 01:09 PM
I ran my first show with 5.02 last night. About 2 1/2 hours into it Hoster crashed (just like it did with previous versions). One thing I noticed is that prior to crashing the search window would go blank (just a box with white background) and I had to close it and re-open it for each search. Most of the show was DJ with music set to auto play. I would kick it over to manual when a singer wanted to do a song. I don't use BA.

The event viewer shows faulting application Hoster.exe version 5.02.0, time stamp 0x4e13348c, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6002.18327, time stamp 0x4cb7341c, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00030226, process id 0x10cc, application start time 0x01cc3e95dce5b708.

MTUSUPPORT
July 12th, 2011, 02:10 PM
From your post above, there are several reasons why the ntdll.dll can cause a crash as this.

1) It could be bad hardware or ram.
2) Damaged Windows Files
3) Missing redistributable components

Try #3 first, as it is easiest to fix.

Since you're running 64 Bit Windows 7, download the 64 bit version of Visual Studio 2005 SP1 redistributable Package and install it.

Here is the Link to the 64 bit version:
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=18471

For others with 32 bit Windows here is the Link: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=5638

Once you download it, click on Run to install the files to your system. You may need to reboot the system after the installation.

Please post back here if this solves Hoster crashing on your computer, so we know. If this does not solve it #1 or #2 should be your fix.

You can also try this FAQ, to see if it may help clean up your computer: http://www.mtu.com/kb/kb/index.php?action=article&id=115&relid=1

Roy Dennis
July 12th, 2011, 05:22 PM
One thing that I reported before in one of the beta tests, when connecting a second sound card it doesn't automatically add the volume control in the search dialog, you have to open the Tools/Audio control and click OK before it appears in the search dialog. Similarly when you disconnect the second sound card the volume control still appears even after rebooting computer until you open Tools/Audio control and click OK again.

When it is connected and showing in the search dialog it works as it should.

admin
July 13th, 2011, 06:27 PM
One thing that I reported before in one of the beta tests, when connecting a second sound card it doesn't automatically add the volume control in the search dialog, you have to open the Tools/Audio control and click OK before it appears in the search dialog. Similarly when you disconnect the second sound card the volume control still appears even after rebooting computer until you open Tools/Audio control and click OK again.

When it is connected and showing in the search dialog it works as it should.
Roy, thank you for reporting this. The code clearly can work when you use the Tools > Audio command; i.e. there is a "work-around".

I've spec'd to review this, and if we can easily detect the audio card presence or absence, we may be able to show or hide the Search dialog Preview Play controls. However, if this extra detection complicates the code, since there is a work-around, we won't do it.

Deeter
July 14th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Since version 4.32 through current, the monitor screen for lyrics that is normally docked in the upper left corner of the Hoster interface has been almost constantly jumbled. The splash screen with the song title comes up fine, but as soon as the lyrics start scrolling the screen becomes garbled as the lyrics overprint instead of clearing with each new screen. This occurs if the window is docked in it's default position or undocked.
I'm running the same machine as before- when the problem did not manifest itself in <4.32 versions.
Mac Powerbook running Windows 7 Pro using Bootcamp, 4g RAM and 300g free space on the harddrive. All other programs closed, no virus protection on, and all the MTU changes for W7 done.

Roy Dennis
July 22nd, 2011, 07:32 AM
I did post this in the beta test section but then thought perhaps it should go hear.
Just found this while testing a zip import: If you import files using the Build database dialog by adding folders or rescanning a folder and later decide to add files via the import hard drive files option, then you list a folder that you previously added by previous method, it still lists all the files even when the "Hide indexed tracks " box is ticked.
Also after deleting a track in the edit dialog, it doesn't delete the record from the Imported files.txt file.
When you import via the Build Songs Database by adding or rescanning folders, does it create a .txt file and if so where ?

Roy Dennis
July 22nd, 2011, 03:52 PM
After doing further tests with zip file imports via the Build Database/Add folder option. I added a folder with 300 zip files in it and it does not create an imported files .txt file in the folder containing the zip files using this method to import.
All the files play OK but don't know if this affects any thing else other than importing via the import HD Files.

TheMusicGeek
August 5th, 2011, 01:23 PM
I did a show Tuesday night and hoster shut down twice. Additionally I had some weird issues when using search. Sometimes (usually while adding a file from search) hoster would freeze but the singer display would work fine. The lyrics display on Hoster would stop but the lyrics on the singer display would scroll as normal. Even stayed in sync. I don't know if this is a factor but the song time was off on several songs as well. The song would be over and still show a minute or two left till it kicked over to the next one.

Last week, I tested the memory with both Windows memory check and Memtest 64. I also checked the system files for corruption using sfc /scannow. Neither showed any problems. I also reinstalled the Visual C++ 2005 as suggested.

From your post above, there are several reasons why the ntdll.dll can cause a crash as this.

1) It could be bad hardware or ram.
2) Damaged Windows Files
3) Missing redistributable components

Try #3 first, as it is easiest to fix.

Since you're running 64 Bit Windows 7, download the 64 bit version of Visual Studio 2005 SP1 redistributable Package and install it.

Here is the Link to the 64 bit version:
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=18471

For others with 32 bit Windows here is the Link: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=5638

Once you download it, click on Run to install the files to your system. You may need to reboot the system after the installation.

Please post back here if this solves Hoster crashing on your computer, so we know. If this does not solve it #1 or #2 should be your fix.

You can also try this FAQ, to see if it may help clean up your computer: http://www.mtu.com/kb/kb/index.php?action=article&id=115&relid=1

admin
August 6th, 2011, 01:44 PM
I did a show Tuesday night and hoster shut down twice. Additionally I had some weird issues when using search. Sometimes (usually while adding a file from search) hoster would freeze but the singer display would work fine. The lyrics display on Hoster would stop but the lyrics on the singer display would scroll as normal. Even stayed in sync. I don't know if this is a factor but the song time was off on several songs as well. The song would be over and still show a minute or two left till it kicked over to the next one.

Last week, I tested the memory with both Windows memory check and Memtest 64. I also checked the system files for corruption using sfc /scannow. Neither showed any problems. I also reinstalled the Visual C++ 2005 as suggested.
First, thank you for reporting you upgraded the Visual C++ 2005 files MTUSUPPORT suggested. We've been waiting about a month for your response.

I don't think I have ever heard a list of so many problems from one user! :e

Have you re-installed Windows and your Video graphic drivers? I would first suspect these, given all the problems. No one else is reporting these problems with 5.02, which again points to your computer causing the problems, not Hoster.

Understand, I'm not trying to "duck our responsibility", but we don't have anything we can sink our teeth into from your post... especially given no one else is reporting the same problems.

We are now on version 5.03. We have added some fine tuning features in the Search dialog, but our Beta Testers don't report any of your problems either. :?

TheMusicGeek
August 6th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Sorry I did not report back sooner. I don't do anywhere near as many shows as I used to so I had to wait till I had something to report.

No I have not reinstalled Windows. I see no reason to do that when Hoster is the ONLY program having problems.

I'm not trying to second guess you but this type of behavior seems indicative of a memory leak within the program itself. That would seem logical to as to why it doesn't act up for a couple hours. Of course not knowing how your program handles memory, I may be causing this myself as I usually load 2-4 hour playlists. Additionally my songs.mdb file is 24 MB so maybe I'm just overtaxing Hoster.

I have a very long show today (about 10-12 hours). It's a send off for the local natational guard troops being redeployed. We'll see what happens and I can report back if you wish.

tkelley3
August 7th, 2011, 12:03 AM
11. FIXED Songs Added By Singers Button Close Hoster - Songs loaded to the playlist using the Singers button dialog would play, but closed Hoster when each finished. Also, they appeared with "Unavailable" Status the next time Hoster ran.

As quoted above, 5.02.07 fixed a bug that I did not have until I went to 5.02.07. My def0002 Playlist file now shows many songs with “unavail” listed. I rebuilt the database, but the songs still say unavail. Many of my other files now show these unavail's as well. I do not want to delete and add them as there are a bunch of them.

ddouglass
August 7th, 2011, 01:34 AM
I read that 5.02.07 fixed a bug that I did not have until I went to 5.02.07. My def0002 file now shows many songs with “unavail” listed. What is the fix to get this off the screen. I did rebuilt the database but the songs still say unavail. Many of my other files now show these unavail's as well.

I cannot play them because they are unavail so they do not close hoster but I do not want to delete and add them as there are a bunch of them.
Not the same as below but close.

11.FIXED Songs Added By Singers Button Close Hoster - Songs loaded to the playlist using the Singers button dialog would play, but closed Hoster when each finished. Also, they appeared with "Unavailable" Status the next time Hoster ran.
Not quite the same.
When and with what version of Hoster were those lists created?
Did they all open and work with versions 5.0 and/or 5.01?

Added: I just checked and I am seeing this too with a test list I use. By re-adding a couple of these they work fine, but should not be coming up with unavailable either, since they were working in 5.01 on mine with none showing unavailable.

tkelley3
August 7th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Dale, my playlist was working in 5.0 and 5.1 as well. Yes, I can add them "again" but I am wondering why I should have to add them. When I changed from the D drive to the C drive I understood that Hoster would not find my songs within my saved file lists. I rebuilt the database and added each song...one by one...to my "new" saved list. This took a ton of time but I thought it was worth it as I use my saved lists as play lists when I perform for our veterans and nursing home folks. I did not think the geniuses at MTU would be able to come up with a way to update saved play lists so I have never asked for it. It would be a really nice thing but “really nice” comes at a price. Something has changed within this update and I was just reporting it. :)

admin
August 7th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Dale, my playlist was working in 5.0 and 5.1 as well. Yes, I can add them "again" but I am wondering why I should have to add them. When I changed from the D drive to the C drive I understood that Hoster would not find my songs within my saved file lists. I rebuilt the database and added each song...one by one...to my "new" saved list. This took a ton of time but I thought it was worth it as I use my saved lists as play lists when I perform for our veterans and nursing home folks. I did not think the geniuses at MTU would be able to come up with a way to update saved play lists so I have never asked for it. It would be a really nice thing but “really nice” comes at a price. Something has changed within this update and I was just reporting it. :)
We'll take a look at this.

Can you zip and attach one of your .hst playlist file that shows "Unavail"? If so, please also count down from the topmost song and list 5-10 by number position in the playlist (#1=topmost, #2=second down, etc.). We can analyze this and maybe see what is wrong.

tkelley3
August 8th, 2011, 12:22 AM
I have zip'ed the file def0002.hst. I do not understand how you want me to ID the listed songs. In hoster the unavail songs on this list are starting from the top song: #1, #2, #5, #10, #11, #12. thanks for looking into this.

TheMusicGeek
August 8th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Update on Saturdays show. Almost exactly at the 2 hour mark a song started to stutter. The scroller stopped and hoster froze (not responding) but did not shut down. After 30 seconds to a minute hoster would catch up so to speak and continue just fine. This happened several times throughout the night. Quite often when adding a song from search or changing the search from Karaoke to Audio or Video (or visaversa).

Sorry I did not report back sooner. I don't do anywhere near as many shows as I used to so I had to wait till I had something to report.

No I have not reinstalled Windows. I see no reason to do that when Hoster is the ONLY program having problems.

I'm not trying to second guess you but this type of behavior seems indicative of a memory leak within the program itself. That would seem logical to as to why it doesn't act up for a couple hours. Of course not knowing how your program handles memory, I may be causing this myself as I usually load 2-4 hour playlists. Additionally my songs.mdb file is 24 MB so maybe I'm just overtaxing Hoster.

I have a very long show today (about 10-12 hours). It's a send off for the local natational guard troops being redeployed. We'll see what happens and I can report back if you wish.

Deeter
August 8th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Is there anything set in your screensaver or power settings where the display, or hard drive, or system goes into standby or sleep mode at 2 hours? Or did the 2 hours happen to be coincidentally at the time a virus scan was scheduled to run?

TheMusicGeek
August 8th, 2011, 02:49 PM
None of the above. Virus scan is disabled during shows and power settings are set to preformance with no sleep or standby. It always seems to start with Hoster after about 2 hours of use. Probably just coincidence.

Roy Dennis
August 8th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Is it a heat problem ? could your cpu be getting overheated ?

admin
August 9th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Update on Saturdays show. Almost exactly at the 2 hour mark a song started to stutter. The scroller stopped and hoster froze (not responding) but did not shut down. After 30 seconds to a minute hoster would catch up so to speak and continue just fine. This happened several times throughout the night. Quite often when adding a song from search or changing the search from Karaoke to Audio or Video (or visaversa).
Greet feedback! :c

You're facts are DEFINITELY helping us drill down as to what to look for.

The problem that tkelly3 in post #13, #15, #17, and Dale Douglass in post #14 are reporting may be related to yours. We caused an error in 5.01 when adding a song from the Search dialog to the Playlist. Instead of adding the correct DiscID-Track format (ex: "SC1234-12"), we were adding only "SC1234". This was fixed, but may have left something broken in the Search dialog.

Your point that Hoster would freeze for 30-60 seconds MAY explain a similar crash MTUSUPPORT is working on in a Support Ticket. Our user has 4 new Dells with Hoster Quad and reports all are "crashing". Bryan (MTUSUPPORT) will ask them today to wait over 60 seconds to see if Hoster is just frozen and not crashed.

Today, we'll check for a memory leak, testing adding songs from the Search dialog, and switching between the Karaoke, Audio and Video "filter switches". There may be something wrong with the SQL code accessing into the Songs Database. Database searches that "don't return quickly" can cause delays you are indicating; i.e. a prime suspect for us to research first. :w

We'll also build and run a "debug" version and watch for any freezes or stopping while adding songs and shifting "filter switches".

Know that we are on this today. I'll try to post our results back here later, but please don't "burn me" if I forget. My platter is very full right now... :r

Lonman
August 9th, 2011, 02:45 PM
This is something i've not noticed before, but when I pause a song at the beginning and then hit play, it will sometime start with the lyrics swipe so far off that it is unsingable. I have to restart the song then it will play fine. It seems the only time it does it is when I hit pause in the beginning while waiting for the next singer. It does seem to have just started as I always pause songs. Any clue what may be causing this?

bryant
August 10th, 2011, 01:59 AM
This is something i've not noticed before, but when I pause a song at the beginning and then hit play, it will sometime start with the lyrics swipe so far off that it is unsingable. I have to restart the song then it will play fine. It seems the only time it does it is when I hit pause in the beginning while waiting for the next singer. It does seem to have just started as I always pause songs. Any clue what may be causing this?

I can only add Lonnie that I do this all the time at the beginning of songs and it has never occurred with me, but i'll pay special attention from now on and see if I CAN cause it to happen.

jcsings
August 10th, 2011, 03:45 AM
First, thank you for reporting you upgraded the Visual C++ 2005 files MTUSUPPORT suggested. We've been waiting about a month for your response.

I don't think I have ever heard a list of so many problems from one user! :e

Have you re-installed Windows and your Video graphic drivers? I would first suspect these, given all the problems. No one else is reporting these problems with 5.02, which again points to your computer causing the problems, not Hoster.

Understand, I'm not trying to "duck our responsibility", but we don't have anything we can sink our teeth into from your post... especially given no one else is reporting the same problems.

We are now on version 5.03. We have added some fine tuning features in the Search dialog, but our Beta Testers don't report any of your problems either. :?

I've been having the same problems. I am running a 64 pentium 4 500 GB hard,plus 500 GB external, 4 GB ram. CPU 7450 @2.13 GHZ I downloaded the
2005++ and that didn't fix it. I took my computer in to see if there was issues with the hard drive, it's working fine. I'm very very frustrated with the constant skipping, and stalling. If I open singer's data base while running a song it stops and starts over... I've never had an issue with hoster before and I am at my wits end.

admin
August 10th, 2011, 03:24 PM
I've been having the same problems. I am running a 64 pentium 4 500 GB hard,plus 500 GB external, 4 GB ram. CPU 7450 @2.13 GHZ I downloaded the
2005++ and that didn't fix it. I took my computer in to see if there was issues with the hard drive, it's working fine. I'm very very frustrated with the constant skipping, and stalling. If I open singer's data base while running a song it stops and starts over... I've never had an issue with hoster before and I am at my wits end.
Your comments are noted, and appreciated! :c

We are diagnosing these problems right now. We are finding a few "minor" gremlins in how we defined fields in the Songs.mdb that may have some impact.

Also... we are using the older Microsoft Access 97 DB Manager, which MAY be a growing problem, or the root cause, for your skipping, etc. When you think about the SLOOOOOOOW computers Hoster flawlessly runs on with Win XP, and compare the LIGHT SPEED processors you probably have today, there is no logical reason why Hoster won't work without dropping audio.

We have our audio player and CDG renderer player set to HIGHER thread priority than Hoster, which SHOULD prevent a DB search from interrupting audio or lyrics. So much for these "advanced" windows we are stuck with! :r

Windows Vista and Windows 7 s*** and we continually... CONTINUALLY are finding code sections that have worked for years that now malfunction on these OS's. It's frustrating to try and shoot at this moving target. :f :m :e

In the past week, we have discovered that by using DirectSound (Microsoft's method to access the audio hardware), our Microstudio, Songverter and Hoster's "Build Database" won't open and use MP3 songs under Windows 7 64-bit. Runs FINE under Windows 7 32-bit. ANd what is really confusing is we have an "older" Win 7 64-bit Laptop (quite powerful) that WON'T process MP3's as stated, and then a brand new LC Laptop we just received and it WILL process MP3's. Now that was an interesting find. So what's wrong with our Hoster code that performs FINE on one Win7, and NOT on another? :?

Oh yes, Keyrite, Vogone, and Hoster's "Index HD Files" screen open and use MP3's fine on Win7 64-bit. :e :f

Just got a notice from engineering they have now bypassed Windows' DirectSound for audio and all seems to be working. You'll see a new Microstudio and Songverter soon, and Hoster 5.03 is well under way, now including this "fix".

tkelley3
August 11th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Hoster Admin…thanks for working so hard to make Hoster better. I would guess that a less reputable company would have “thrown in the towel” long ago. I applaud your efforts and I am determined to stick with you through thick and thin. My frustration does boil but at least you are listening and attempting to fix all of our problems. Thank you. :g

admin
August 12th, 2011, 06:14 AM
Hoster Admin…thanks for working so hard to make Hoster better. I would guess that a less reputable company would have “thrown in the towel” long ago. I applaud your efforts and I am determined to stick with you through thick and thin. My frustration does boil but at least you are listening and attempting to fix all of our problems. Thank you. :g
Thanks for your words of encouragement! :) :w

I started MTU March 1, 1977. We love designing what makes your life easier, and hate problems; i.e. we fix 'em as fast as we can! :w

The problem is ALWAYS to identify what the real culprit is. It may be a bug in our code, or a change caused by a Windows Update, or a user's specific computer, or a myriad of other causes... not always our code.

MTUSUPPORT (Bryan) is the best I've ever known at staying with a problem until he identifies and can re-create it. He's a pit bull and won't let go.

That's why we ask for facts; step-by-step what you were doing, or ARE doing if you can re-create the problem. Once WE can re-create a problem at MTU, we'll nail it quickly.

My main concern right now, as stated in my thread above, is Microsoft Windows 7 may not be fully supporting Microsoft's Access 97. That... will require months of time to convert to Access 2000 or 2003, and test so there are as few a problems as possible.

It's like taking your car in and you're told they have to replace the ENGINE. It can be done but it'll take time to do and test; i.e. a LOT of our resources. (sigh.....) :)

jcsings
August 13th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Your comments are noted, and appreciated! :c

We are diagnosing these problems right now. We are finding a few "minor" gremlins in how we defined fields in the Songs.mdb that may have some impact.

Also... we are using the older Microsoft Access 97 DB Manager, which MAY be a growing problem, or the root cause, for your skipping, etc. When you think about the SLOOOOOOOW computers Hoster flawlessly runs on with Win XP, and compare the LIGHT SPEED processors you probably have today, there is no logical reason why Hoster won't work without dropping audio.

We have our audio player and CDG renderer player set to HIGHER thread priority than Hoster, which SHOULD prevent a DB search from interrupting audio or lyrics. So much for these "advanced" windows we are stuck with! :r

Windows Vista and Windows 7 s*** and we continually... CONTINUALLY are finding code sections that have worked for years that now malfunction on these OS's. It's frustrating to try and shoot at this moving target. :f :m :e

In the past week, we have discovered that by using DirectSound (Microsoft's method to access the audio hardware), our Microstudio, Songverter and Hoster's "Build Database" won't open and use MP3 songs under Windows 7 64-bit. Runs FINE under Windows 7 32-bit. ANd what is really confusing is we have an "older" Win 7 64-bit Laptop (quite powerful) that WON'T process MP3's as stated, and then a brand new LC Laptop we just received and it WILL process MP3's. Now that was an interesting find. So what's wrong with our Hoster code that performs FINE on one Win7, and NOT on another? :?

Oh yes, Keyrite, Vogone, and Hoster's "Index HD Files" screen open and use MP3's fine on Win7 64-bit. :e :f

Just got a notice from engineering they have now bypassed Windows' DirectSound for audio and all seems to be working. You'll see a new Microstudio and Songverter soon, and Hoster 5.03 is well under way, now including this "fix".

I look forward to this! I love this program and can't wait for the "gremlins" to get the boot!:t

mgrowolski
August 14th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Hi I have tried to install version 5.02.8 and keep getting the same error.
Error number 0x80040702
Failed to load DLL_ismtu
Setup will now terminate

I had no problems with installing version 5.02.06 any ideas what is wrong please.

Chad Slater
August 15th, 2011, 01:30 AM
I recently was using hoster 5.02 with extended desktop. I double clicked the hoster window on the extended desktop and the screen disappeared and now I cannot get it to show back up again. I have restarted hoster, I have also removed the extended desktop so that it was only was showing my desktop and still no window. I can see the karaoke play in the mini window that is attached to the program but can't seem to find the large window. I hope that I explained this ok.

Chad Slater
August 15th, 2011, 02:02 AM
Also I tried to upgrade to 5.02.08 and got the following error when trying to install... error number 0X80040702 Description: Failed to load DLL: _ismtu

Any ideas?

mgrowolski
August 15th, 2011, 03:41 AM
Hiya Chad
Have you tried to reset the displays as i had the same problem but it was cured by the reset displays option

Chad Slater
August 15th, 2011, 04:05 AM
I just found that and it worked! Still having issues installing the newer version though. Tried downloading again, updating windows and still no go.

mgrowolski
August 15th, 2011, 04:07 AM
we will have to wait till mtu come back into the office or submit a support message. Glad the other thing worked for you though

ddouglass
August 15th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Also I tried to upgrade to 5.02.08 and got the following error when trying to install... error number 0X80040702 Description: Failed to load DLL: _ismtu

Any ideas?

we will have to wait till mtu come back into the office or submit a support message. Glad the other thing worked for you though
I just installed 5.02.08 on both XP and Windows 7 without any problem. Maybe you didn't get a complete download. Your best bet is to download and Save instead of Run from the download. That way you can make sure you got a complete copy, then run it from your saved file.

Chad Slater
August 15th, 2011, 03:44 PM
I just installed 5.02.08 on both XP and Windows 7 without any problem. Maybe you didn't get a complete download. Your best bet is to download and Save instead of Run from the download. That way you can make sure you got a complete copy, then run it from your saved file.

I have downloaded it 3 times and always save the file then run it. I noticed someone else posting the same thing as well.

mgrowolski
August 15th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Tried tthat saved it to the comp and then ran it and still the same problem its strange because i have downloaded it to my laptop and it worked but my desktop has just had the hard drive formatted and all software reinstalled and seems to be fine with all other software except hoster

ddouglass
August 15th, 2011, 05:27 PM
What operating systems are you guys using? Could be a factor and will help MTU see if they can reproduce.

mgrowolski
August 15th, 2011, 06:03 PM
I am using windows 7 ultimate my laptop had the same os as well and it installed on there ok going to try version 5.02.07 see if that installs

mgrowolski
August 15th, 2011, 06:22 PM
ok version 5.02.07 installed fine but .08 still has the same problem and the same **** error message arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Roy Dennis
August 15th, 2011, 08:09 PM
I just tried it myself and had no trouble. If you go to the downloaded Hoster setup.exe file, right click it and select properties mine shows 24.3MB, if yours is less it has not downloaded the complete file in which case I would delete it and download again.
There is something mentioned in the instalation procedure about an error message, can't remember now though what is say's but I think basically ignore.

ddouglass
August 16th, 2011, 12:26 AM
I just tried it myself and had no trouble. If you go to the downloaded Hoster setup.exe file, right click it and select properties mine shows 24.3MB, if yours is less it has not downloaded the complete file in which case I would delete it and download again.
There is something mentioned in the instalation procedure about an error message, can't remember now though what is say's but I think basically ignore.
That is for the 1706 error Roy. Doesn't stop the install though.

Chad Slater
August 16th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I am using Windows 7 home edition. Also checked the downloaded file and it is 24.3MB. I uninstalled the previous version and tried to install the newest (.08) and still get the same error. I then installed the previous (.07) and installed fine.

admin
August 18th, 2011, 09:08 AM
ok version 5.02.07 installed fine but .08 still has the same problem and the same **** error message arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Mike, it helps if you can provide us with the error message text, instead of pure emotions. We can use the facts to help isolate and solve the problem. We suspect the message included "is_mtu.dll", which is our code to communicate with our web site during registration. Without any clue to your error message text, we are assuming this in our diagnosis.

I am using Windows 7 home edition. Also checked the downloaded file and it is 24.3MB. I uninstalled the previous version and tried to install the newest (.08) and still get the same error. I then installed the previous (.07) and installed fine.
We had to re-install the program we use to create the Hoster Installation file you download. We suspect that re-installing it disabled a required component, possibly "is_mtu.dll". We used the identical "hoster.exe" code from 502.07, so we know that's not the problem.

We're on it this morning.

We released 503 Beta 2 last night, hopefully the last beta version. We must solve this installation problem before releasing 503.08 (or .09 if we skew to next month).

mgrowolski
August 18th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Hi Admin
I did state what the error was but I shall repeat it for you.
The error is as follows

Error number 0x80040702
Description: Failed to Load DLL: _ismtu

Set up will now terminate

Hope this helps you

admin
August 18th, 2011, 02:11 PM

We FIXED the problem of 5.02.08 not installing on Win7 64-bit systems.

Simply download the Hoster 502.08 Installation file (http://www.mtu.com/upgrades/hoster.htm) again and run it as an Upgrade.

We re-created this problem on one of our Win7 64-bit Laptops and dignosed what was wrong.

If for any reason it doesn't install, post here as many facts as you can.

mgrowolski
August 18th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Thanks guys installed with no problems

Chad Slater
August 18th, 2011, 03:53 PM
It seems to have worked. Thanks again. I do have a question though. When running 5.02.07 (before I upgraded) I noticed that after searching for a song and then hitting the add button the extended desktop karaoke screen would go black (not the entire screen, just the words). They then would highlight accordingly with the music from black to say.. yellow. Once the words finished to the bottom and the screen was refreshed with new words it went back to normal. This has never happened to me before and I wasn't sure what would cause this. It also does it when playing videos, but is black until the video ends. Any help would be appreciated :)

MTU I do have to say that your support is unparalleled to any support I have ever encountered. Thanks again!

admin
August 19th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Thanks guys installed with no problems

It seems to have worked. Thanks again.
Gents, thank you for replying so quickly. As with any complex bug related to Windows, it always helps to have confirmation that we fixed it. :)

MTU I do have to say that your support is unparalleled to any support I have ever encountered. Thanks again!
Thank you Chad for working with us, AND... for reporting the problem! :w

I do have a question though. When running 5.02.07 (before I upgraded) I noticed that after searching for a song and then hitting the add button the extended desktop karaoke screen would go black (not the entire screen, just the words). They then would highlight accordingly with the music from black to say.. yellow. Once the words finished to the bottom and the screen was refreshed with new words it went back to normal. This has never happened to me before and I wasn't sure what would cause this. It also does it when playing videos, but is black until the video ends. Any help would be appreciated :)
Whenever "black" is appearing on the Show Display or Preview Display, we "usually" find there is an NVidia graphics card/chip being used.

Does your computer have an NVideo card/chip?

More importantly, does this blacking out still happen with Hoster 502.08?

jcsings
August 19th, 2011, 06:00 PM
I know you guys are working on the fix for the skipping and stalling, I was so frustrated last night because it seemed like every other song had to be restarted because it would skip right at the beginning of the song and then the lyrics would be off. I just want you to know I anxiously await your fixes!:r

admin
August 20th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I wanted to update you on our latest directions to fix Hoster's problems.

1. It appears that Microsoft has turned Windows 7 64-bit into a VIRTUAL MACHINE. They call it WOW (Windows on Windows). Hoster is a 32-bit app, so it would be run in WOW mode, not 64-bit mode or the Vista "32-bit emulation mode" on a 64-bit OS.

Virtual machines give each Application a limited amount of system resources (which would explain why Search dialog is choking), and may also prevent the App from getting to hardware resources as we could do in the past. WOW may run Hoster in the equivalent of a fractional GigaByte of RAM, and the CPU power "your guess is as good as mine" a fraction of the processor speed. This is now starting to make sense why Hoster runs fine on a good 'ole XP or even a (gag) Vista system, or Windows 7 32-bit.

What the heck! Why didn't Microsoft warn everyone that if you buy a Windows 7 64-bit system (the standard shipped today), you would see performance of ALL your "old programs" equal to some shamefully slow system, WAY INFERIOR to XP?

So, you may want to wait for 5.03 to come out, but if we can't find a way to programmatically allocate RAM/CPU power to the Hoster WOW, we will suggest you install Win7 32-bit. :r :e :m :f May God have mercy on us all!

2. Over the years of development, all Indices in the Hoster Songs.mdb and Singers.mdb were removed. :e :e :e

This probably happened when we spent 22 man-months to gain compatibility with Vista that allowed Hoster to also run on Win7.

This means that every search was executed as a "string" search, traversing the entire database. TheMusicGeek reported when using the Search button dialog on his 24MB Songs.mdb, the system could "sleep" for 30-60 seconds. That seriously got my personal attention.

3. In 5.03 we are re-engineering the Singer database.
This database has a Singer Table with SingerID and SingerName fields, and a Song Table with SingerID and BookID fields. The Singers button dialog shows columns with Title, Artist, Brand, and DiscID. It doesn't store these fields, but uses the BookID to "string search" the Songs.mdb, then read these fields and populate the dialog columns. It's no wonder why using the Singers database in any way is slow. :r

You may wonder why the heck we did that? Well, when the Singers database was "conceived", we expected maybe 100 "repeat singers" (a lot of "followers") with maybe 50 songs (an extravagant set we thought). Uhh... some of you folks are reporting way more Singers/Songs.

In 5.03, when you add a BookID for a Singer, we will copy the Title, Artist, Brand and DiscID AT THAT TIME from the Songs Database and store them in the Song Table as new fields. Then, we won't need to query the Songs database for them. Changes made in Edit Songs will NOT update your Song Table records, but we'll add a "Refresh" button to re-synchronize the Songs Table when you want.

We also are adding "indexing" on these fields:

1. Songs.mdb - Songs Table BookID, Title and Artist. The "BookID" button to add songs to the Playlist will be lightening fast. In the Search button dialog, searching on BookID, Title or Artist will be MUCH faster, but searching Brand, DiscID, Language, Genre, Karaoke, Audio, Video (versus all) will be as slow as you have now.

2. Singers.mdb - Singer Table SingerName, Song Table SingerID and possible Title.

It is not feasible to index all fields as you would not have enough RAM to hold these "in-memory" index tables. Title and Artist are each 64-Bytes long. A 50,000 record (files) Songs.mdb database would require 50K x (64 B+64 B) = 6.4MB just for these two indices. Given that Win7 64-bit WOW mode seems to STARVE Hoster for RAM,this could drastically affect performance, versus improve it.

Also, the more indices we require, the longer it will take to "Index HD Files" or "Build Database". We are making reasonable tradeoffs.

So, that's where we are this weekend. :)

TheMusicGeek
August 20th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Just an FYI admin but my show comptuer is Vista 64 not Windows 7 64. Don't know if that changes your diagnosis any but I thought I should mention it.

Telecaster
August 21st, 2011, 11:26 AM
Just loaded 5.02.8 and now I cannot change the key.....I tried to load the earlier version and still cannot change the key......would like to avoid a total removal ...any ideas..????

Roy Dennis
August 21st, 2011, 12:40 PM
It's working OK on both my XP & Windows 7 computers.

From which version did you upgrade from when you installed the 5.02.8 and was it working OK on the prior version ?

One thing might be worth a try, install again ticking the box in one of the install screens to not keep all your settings, can't remember the exact wording, but you would have to check all your settings again after using this though it won't loose any data.

Chad Slater
August 21st, 2011, 05:24 PM
Admin:

Regarding the screen going black, yes it still happens in .08. I also have the following video card NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M.

I also noticed that recently a driver for this card was updated right around the time the black screen started. I have since rolled back the driver to the previous one and believe that has fixed the issue. I have a show tonight so I will be able to put it to the real test instead of a quick check.

thanks again.

Chad Slater
August 21st, 2011, 10:32 PM
It turns out that did not fix the problem. :(

Chad Slater
August 22nd, 2011, 01:56 AM
It turns out that did not fix the problem. :(

It turns out that it did fix the problem WITHIN hoster. When i load other programs while hoster is running the screen turns black but only when it is first loaded :))

admin
August 22nd, 2011, 07:17 AM
Just an FYI admin but my show comptuer is Vista 64 not Windows 7 64. Don't know if that changes your diagnosis any but I thought I should mention it.
We suspect Vista 64-bit also has WOW, but we haven't verified yet.

Today we're adding new fields into the Singers.mdb Songs Table (Title, Artist, Brand, DiscID) so Hoster doesn't have to query the Songs.mdb for these items shown in the Singers button dialog.

We're also adding indices into the Singers.mdb tables, and the Songs.mdb one table. We may have to require you to trigger a rebuild of these databases. Yes, we will add a "Rebuild Database" in the Singers button dialog so you can do this. :w

TheMusicGeek
August 22nd, 2011, 10:22 AM
WOW64 has been a part of 64 bit Windows since Windows 2000 Limited Editition. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WoW64

ddouglass
August 22nd, 2011, 01:28 PM
It turns out that it did fix the problem WITHIN hoster. When i load other programs while hoster is running the screen turns black but only when it is first loaded :))
Good to know Chad. Thanks for letting us know it is fixed. Nvidia cards have always been a pita and they have gotten worse about over the last year.

Telecaster
August 22nd, 2011, 05:42 PM
It's working OK on both my XP & Windows 7 computers.

From which version did you upgrade from when you installed the 5.02.8 and was it working OK on the prior version ?

One thing might be worth a try, install again ticking the box in one of the install screens to not keep all your settings, can't remember the exact wording, but you would have to check all your settings again after using this though it won't loose any data.

Yes but will it erase my singers and keychanges...this is what im worried about.....and yes it was working fine on the prior version which I tried to re- install but it did the same thing.I did not clear thesettings because I dont want to loose my singers and keychanges if I dont have to.
Thanks

admin
August 22nd, 2011, 06:50 PM
Yes but will it erase my singers and keychanges...this is what im worried about.....and yes it was working fine on the prior version which I tried to re- install but it did the same thing.I did not clear thesettings because I dont want to loose my singers and keychanges if I dont have to.
Thanks
What Roy is suggesting will not change your Songs or Singers Databases at all. It only resets Windows Registry Keys to our factory "as shipped" defaults. Sometimes this can clear unexplainable Hoster operational problems.

All Singers and Key changes on their songs are stored in the Singers DB. :w

We have not heard of Key change not working like this before, so we're all in "uncharted waters" and not sure yet what to recommend. Since others are running fine, it does indicate something "maybe" has changed on your computer. Keep a running dialog on this in this Thread.

Roy Dennis
August 22nd, 2011, 07:09 PM
Yes but will it erase my singers and keychanges...this is what I'm worried about.....and yes it was working fine on the prior version which I tried to re- install but it did the same thing.I did not clear the settings because I don't want to loose my singers and keychanges if I dont have to.
Thanks

What can be a safeguard, even if you uninstal is to save a back up of your C/MTU/Hoster folder as this has all your Playlists, Songs.mbd, singers.mbd & Hoster.ini files in it so most things can be recovered from this folder although I don't know where Hoster saves your Instabutton info.

Telecaster
August 23rd, 2011, 03:53 PM
Ok I will try what you suggest....as of right now I loaded the latest download 5.02.8 and it will not let me access the keychange in the dashboard.,I tried on 2 or 3 more ocasions after that and still could not access the keychange.So my next step will to download an earlier version and clear the settings.If that doesnt work I will have to delete it right off my computer and start from scratch.
Thanks for the input people....:g

admin
August 26th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Ok I will try what you suggest....as of right now I loaded the latest download 5.02.8 and it will not let me access the keychange in the dashboard.,I tried on 2 or 3 more ocasions after that and still could not access the keychange.So my next step will to download an earlier version and clear the settings.If that doesnt work I will have to delete it right off my computer and start from scratch.
Thanks for the input people....:g
Your thoughts on what to do next are a good start.

Please post back here what your results were.

At MTU we could not duplicate this "keychange" not working. :?

jcsings
August 31st, 2011, 03:27 AM
I know you are trying to get this fixed but I'm so tired of this program crashing.... It works good for a little bit then it freezes, or it crashes when opening singers window, or it skips. I'm frustrated and in a bit of a panic! I run 5 shows a week and up until this last couple updates, it ran flawlessly! PLEASE tell me you have a fix for this!:m

admin
August 31st, 2011, 08:42 AM
I know you are trying to get this fixed but I'm so tired of this program crashing.... It works good for a little bit then it freezes, or it crashes when opening singers window, or it skips. I'm frustrated and in a bit of a panic! I run 5 shows a week and up until this last couple updates, it ran flawlessly! PLEASE tell me you have a fix for this!:m
Some of what you posted here is not Hoster's fault. If Hoster has been working and then it's not working the same, this is DEFINITELY NOT a Hoster code problem. Your computer/Windows environment has changed and needs to be diagnosed.

Please post the following here for all of us to help you:

1: CPU type (Pentium 4, Core2Duo, AMD Athelon, etc.):
2. System RAM (1GB, 2GB, 4GB, ?):
3. Video card (Ati model xxx, NVidia model yyy, etc.):
4. Hard drive SPEED of rotation (5,400rpm, 7,200rpm):
5. Windows type (XP, Vista, Win7, and whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit):

I suggest you submit a Help Ticket http://www.mtu.com/support/customer-support.htm#HelpTicket and give Bryan the following facts. Please leave the emotions out as they won't help us fix your system. :w

1. ALL the problems you are having and steps you can do to re-create them,

2. Whether Hoster was running fine or not, and how long ago did things change,

3. Also include the same computer facts I have asked for above so he knows what you are using.

Bryan is very good at diagnosing and with your Help Ticket facts, he can begin to help.

There are some major changes we have made in our Databases and how the Search dialog and Singers dialog access these DBs. We are trying to get 5.03 released. However, until the Beta testers no longer report "killer" problems we can't release.

Telecaster
September 3rd, 2011, 11:50 AM
Your thoughts on what to do next are a good start.

Please post back here what your results were.

At MTU we could not duplicate this "keychange" not working. :?
Ok
After much shigrin I have come to the conclusion that my not being able to open the keychange feature in the dashboard was most likely "OPERATOR ERROR"........DUH.....Im so sorry if I caused anyoneany time on this .....and my apoligies to ADMIN...........I have since upgraded to Hoster Full ......why you might ask?
Because the Hoster Product is the best ive seen and ive seen most......and although response times are a little slow for support I understand it and can live with it........I say keep up the good work ADMIN and bless the helpers in the community...........:):):):):g

tonysjungle
September 6th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Not sure I chose the most efficient way to do this...but when I've imported various cd's or zips (always to kma), I've often put them into separate folders to be able to easily print a songbook JUST for the songs within that folder (for example: I made a large digital purchase from a manufacturer and wanted all of those songs to remain in one folder...wanted them in my database quickly, but also wanted to be able to print a songbook of JUST those songs so I could edit the various mistakes).

Anyway, what keeps happening....over and over...is that when I go to "Add Folder" within the Build Songs Database (after already having a database with most of my songs), Hoster crashes after indexing for about 10 seconds and without adding any songs. It's not folder specific. For example, If I start with no database...then add folder 1, then 2, then 3, (and this usually happens after I've added 2 or 3 folders), while importing folder 4 it will crash. But again, it's not specific to folder 4. I can add folder 1, then 4, then 2, then it'll crash while adding folder 3.

Didn't have this problem in version 4, but am consistently having it with version 5.

ALL folders contain kma's only.

I'm generally very satisfied with 5.01/5.02. Less crashes during show. This seems to be the only thing I'm running into. And there are no folders within the "excluded folders" area...

tonysjungle
September 6th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Update:

I think part of the problem may have been with book id's and hoster crashing because it didn't know what to do when finding duplicates? In previous versions of hoster, I think I was able to "Rebuild Database" and select which folders I wanted to "rebuild" with (and could add some new ones in). In this version, I'm not able to "rebuild" and add new folders. I'm only able to add new folders...but if there are duplicate book id's, it creates a problem. Not sure if that makes any sense or not...

tonysjungle
September 7th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Learned my lesson, I think....I'll never upgrade again...I think...until the upgrade has been out for much longer. Posted my problem. Still no response. Granted, no other users are experiencing the same problem, and MTU admin doesn't necessarily watch every single post on here all day. In the meantime, I'm going to try to figure out how to revert back to a previous version of Hoster...(my preference if I'm able to)....or just switch to another program now that I purchased large digital databases from primary manufacturers and can easily convert.

It seems to me that the new version of Hoster 5.01forward can't function during "rebuilding" or simply adding new folders if there are any songs within the new folders when there are duplicate book ID's. In older versions, there was a way to renumber duplicate book ID's. In this version, it appears to me (after MANY MANY attempts....and throughout tonight...meaning last night into NOW) that there is no way to fix duplicate book ID's.

tonysjungle
September 7th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Merge! That's what I was used to being able to do before. Doesn't seem I can do it now on 5.02

Roy Dennis
September 7th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Not sure I chose the most efficient way to do this...but when I've imported various cd's or zips (always to kma), I've often put them into separate folders to be able to easily print a songbook JUST for the songs within that folder (for example: I made a large digital purchase from a manufacturer and wanted all of those songs to remain in one folder...wanted them in my database quickly, but also wanted to be able to print a songbook of JUST those songs so I could edit the various mistakes)....

I don't quite understand how you are printing a songbook by selecting a folder:?
Are you using Hosters Songbook to do this ?

Normally if I where doing this and only wanted a selection of songs to be printed I would use "Select Book ID Range" and if you loaded that folder originally all in one go the book id should run consecutively for all that folder.

Anyway, what keeps happening....over and over...is that when I go to "Add Folder" within the Build Songs Database (after already having a database with most of my songs), Hoster crashes after indexing for about 10 seconds and without adding any songs. It's not folder specific. For example, If I start with no database...then add folder 1, then 2, then 3, (and this usually happens after I've added 2 or 3 folders), while importing folder 4 it will crash. But again, it's not specific to folder 4. I can add folder 1, then 4, then 2, then it'll crash while adding folder 3.

Didn't have this problem in version 4, but am consistently having it with version 5.

ALL folders contain kma's only.

Once they have been imported with the wrong Disc ID or Book ID that information is already in the file headers and the only way to put it right is to delete them first providing you have the original backup files not in the KMA format.

I would remove all folders from the list, then also check the excluded folders and remove the same folders from there.
Now just to make sure your database is empty press the rebuild Button to make it build an empty data base.

If you have all your original .kma files that you copied from disc I would not delet these but re load those in first via the Build Database Add Folder button.

Now regarding your large digital collection, you may have files in this collection with identical Disc Ids as already in your collection, are they in the form of MP3+G ? if so why not re import them as KMH files, which will just add a small file with the same name as matching imported file and imports much quicker and uses very little extra drive space.
If you still prefer to import them as Kma the rest of the procedure is the same.
I would do this using the "Index Hard Drive Files" dialog although it will take longer than using the Add folder method you will get all the Artist and Titles in the right columns and it should pick up any duplicate disc ids while importing.
If you still want these duplicates imported after wards you can select to ignore the Disc Id in the Define fields order and either let Hoster allocate it's own or providing you make one up yourself that is not a duplicated do that.

Importing them as KMH files will also keep them in their seperate folders if you still need this for your printing purposes.

tonysjungle
September 7th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Is there any way to merge duplicate book ID's in 5.02 as there was in version 4? Can't seem to figure out how

Roy Dennis
September 7th, 2011, 05:51 PM
This is printed in the manuel under under build songs database:

[/URL]Add Folder Button allows selecting and adding one folder to the Indexed Folders list. Clicking the OK button indexes all selected [URL="file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Micro%20Technology%20Unlimited/Hoster/Manual/hosterman.htm#TypeButtonsBuildDatabase"]Song Types (file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Micro%20Technology%20Unlimited/Hoster/Manual/hosterman.htm#IncludedFoldersDialog) in that folder in the Songs Database.
If a KMH/KMA file BookID to be indexed is already in the Database, that file is not indexed. Its path and filename is saved in C:/MTU/Hoster/MergeSongDBLog.txt to view with Notepad.

The trouble I think you may be having is you already have these duplcates in the headers of the kma files. If you were importing them from scratch it would detect them and not right them to a kma file but give you a list of them as explained above. If they are exactly the same there is no point in loading them to my idea.:r