PDA

View Full Version : Updating Windows

Musicman51
January 15th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I only use my laptop for my Hoster. I never go online with my laptop, except when searching the online data base to download a CD+G. Is it really necessary to keep updating vista? I am afraid one of these updates is going to eventuly interfere with Hoster { Been Know To Happen Before}. I am a ferm believer in "If It Ain't Broke...Don't Fix It". So is it ok to just ignore the updates, and if i ever do change lappy's to update then? George:?

ddouglass
January 15th, 2009, 02:10 PM
As Hoster updates (new releases) then you also will need to keep Vista updated too. The only ones I would definately ignore are the Hardware updates. Those you would be better off getting from the laptop manufacturer rather than Microsoft.

Roy Dennis
January 17th, 2009, 02:47 PM
My personal opinion is like yours, while it is working OK don't worry. Now if you update Hoster to a later version and find something not working then go on line and install any updates.:)

swany
January 19th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Vista seems to have more than one update a day as of late, maybe they are giving us 7 a little at a time. :g

I'm with most folks when it comes to don't fix it if it's not broke.

My wifes XP had it for two years and nothing has gone wrong even though it does not have SP3 in it. Course I does not go on line at all.

Two vista laptops, nothing goes wrong, only time they have been on line is for Hoster neither has had updates lately.

Musicman51
January 19th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I'm with you guys on this one. My daughter is over seas in the US Army. And i fired up her old XP the other evening. I did a "Service Pak3" update, now her computer will not shut off! When i go to shut it down, it's just like i hit restart. So i restored it to a time before the up dates. It's fine again. She told me in no uncertain words to leave my pinkys off her puter...sheesh just trying to help........

billyo
January 19th, 2009, 04:06 PM
I'm with you guys on this one. My daughter is over seas in the US Army. And i fired up her old XP the other evening. I did a "Service Pak3" update, now her computer will not shut off! When i go to shut it down, it's just like i hit restart. So i restored it to a time before the up dates. It's fine again. She told me in no uncertain words to leave my pinkys off her puter...sheesh just trying to help........

i had that problem when i downloaded the sp3 update 3x, mine got the blue screen.i ended up re-installing everything.there are some steps to follow when updating to sp3 to be installed right,but anyway i do update mine once a month only the custom updates, and i always ignore the sp3 updates, and i also turned off the auto update so it wont load the sp3..

capnvic
January 21st, 2009, 06:06 PM
i had that problem when i downloaded the sp3 update 3x, mine got the blue screen.i ended up re-installing everything.there are some steps to follow when updating to sp3 to be installed right,but anyway i do update mine once a month only the custom updates, and i always ignore the sp3 updates, and i also turned off the auto update so it wont load the sp3..

Should always check with the mfr to see if there are any hardware updates (BIOS, video, systemboard) before installing a service pack. :)

ddouglass
January 21st, 2009, 06:30 PM
Part of the problem with Service Pack upgrades is they are written for those with standard installs of Windows. HP, Dell and Gateway all use a small section of the hard drive to store a bootable restoral drive on their laptops and even some of their desktop models have had it. These mess up the install of service packs and will cause a blue screen error.
Those who see a constant restarting after loading the service pack are also getting the blue screen error, but their Windows is set to reboot on error.
How do you get around this? Microsoft did post a fix for this in their support knowledge base. I don't have the link handy, but you can search their support knowledge base for it.
As far as Hardware updates go always check with the mfg of the item before excepting a Hardware update from Microsoft. The mfg will have the current version of the update available.

Musicman51
January 21st, 2009, 09:56 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. You know, i got Hoster to work correctly now. And i'm just not going to take the chance. I have enough upgrades, and i did everything that MTU says i should do for Vista. I'm just going to use it and not worry about upgrades. We'll see what's in store for the next Hoster version. If i need to do something at that time, then i will....George:g

billyo
January 22nd, 2009, 09:29 AM
i just plainly ignore the sp3 updates, as far as updating the hardware i always go to the mfr. site..now the mini laptop i bought has preloaded with sp3:)

Musicman51
January 22nd, 2009, 01:18 PM
billyo, do you like your mini laptop? i hear they are really neat and compact. Can you tell me a little about your mini? Brand, power etc. Is it pretty much like a standard lappy? Would it work for Hoster and doing karaoke in a club? I have big hands, how small is the keyboard? George:)

billyo
January 22nd, 2009, 01:39 PM
billyo, do you like your mini laptop? i hear they are really neat and compact. Can you tell me a little about your mini? Brand, power etc. Is it pretty much like a standard lappy? Would it work for Hoster and doing karaoke in a club? I have big hands, how small is the keyboard? George:)

love it,it's an asus eec pc,intel celeron,900 mhz processor,window xp, it has 120 gb sata hhd,the only thing i didnt like was the hhd were partitioned, 1g of ram , the keyboard is almost a standard size, pretty much as an standard laptop, its really compact 9x8, monitor is about 6x9, 3 usb port,1 ethernet, built in wireless,( fast ) the drawback was it doesnt have a cd/dvd drive, no s-video,just vga, i hooked up another monitor and works fine, dual display capable, i can always get an ext. cd/dvd and also i could get a pc to tv converter, i'm not sure if it's good for hoster, but i think it will do fine, as a matter of fact i'm using it right now, i hooked up my ipod and i was surprised works like my other full size lappy..

Beavis
January 22nd, 2009, 01:51 PM
just in case anyone was wondering, Dell still sells laptops with windows XP. they only sell one model and it cost an extra $150 for windows XP they also give you the windows vista OS too.

billyo
January 22nd, 2009, 02:00 PM
just in case anyone was wondering, Dell still sells laptops with windows XP. they only sell one model and it cost an extra $150 for windows XP they also give you the windows vista OS too.

yup, i thought about getting one before i bought this mini laptop, but anyway when i bought my 2 inspiron laptops( e1505 and e1405 )a while back it came with the vista home premium upgrade ( not installed ), i gave those away..( the upgrades )

ddouglass
January 22nd, 2009, 04:54 PM
Actually if you look in the small business section they have more than one with the XP upgrade. And it was only $99 when I got mine a few weeks ago.

Beavis
January 22nd, 2009, 05:28 PM
i just got my Studio today All macked out for $749 delivered. 320 hd 4gb memory 64b

now i have to learn vista !

im beta testing windows 7 so i will be ready for it when it arrives

capnvic
January 22nd, 2009, 06:35 PM
i just got my Studio today All macked out for $749 delivered. 320 hd 4gb memory 64b

now i have to learn vista !

im beta testing windows 7 so i will be ready for it when it arrives

I just started with Windows 7 as well. It seems to me that the W7 has few hangups with device drivers and system/memory resource allocation problems. Just installed it two days ago...:) May load it on one of my laptops with Hoster and see how it goes

Musicman51
January 22nd, 2009, 07:14 PM
What is "Windows7"? our next operating system? i haven't got Vista down yet. Will Hoster work on it? George

ddouglass
January 22nd, 2009, 08:10 PM
What is "Windows7"? our next operating system? i haven't got Vista down yet. Will Hoster work on it? George
George, Microsoft is abandoning Vista, because it doesn't work right and most people hate it. The major corperations and government refused to use it. That is why XP is still around and working.
Windows 7 is Microsoft's next attempt at making a viable operating system and is only in Beta currently. Their release date isn't until sometime in 2010. Will Hoster work with it? That remains to be seen and I am sure MTU is not going to worry about it until Windows 7 is released. They will not be able to test before then.

Beavis
January 22nd, 2009, 09:23 PM
im sure they are beta testing it right now :g

capnvic
January 23rd, 2009, 01:59 PM

Well I might give it a whirl with Hoster soon enough, but right now I am evaluating it for future considerations.

ddouglass
January 23rd, 2009, 02:32 PM
If you are referring to MTU testing it, I can assure you they are not doing any Windows 7 testing right now. Their main focus right now is Vista and XP.

Beavis
January 23rd, 2009, 02:58 PM
im sure if i were them i would be getting a jump on the windows 7 just to see if its like vista. what the heck, its free to test.

Beavis
January 23rd, 2009, 05:59 PM
i got to be honest with you, windows 7 isnt much different from vista on the outside. im sure its different in the guts. it looks the same.

billyo
January 27th, 2009, 09:09 PM
i was about to dowload the custom windows update an they had netframe 3.5, i remember a while back madjim had a problem with it, has anyone dowloaded this update and, did it affect hoster, just wanted to make sure before i download the updates ( 4 )

ddouglass
January 27th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Jim had a problem with it because he downloaded an update (Service Pack) for .net Framework 3.5 and installed it without have 3.5 itself installed. That is why he had a problem with it. I haven't downloaded it yet because I was waiting for it to come out in the updates, so don't know for sure if it will or won't cause a problem as I haven't checked it out yet.

billyo
January 27th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Jim had a problem with it because he downloaded an update (Service Pack) for .net Framework 3.5 and installed it without have 3.5 itself installed. That is why he had a problem with it. I haven't downloaded it yet because I was waiting for it to come out in the updates, so don't know for sure if it will or won't cause a problem as I haven't checked it out yet.

i guessed i'm just gonna have to wait till you say its ok :)

ddouglass
January 27th, 2009, 11:42 PM
i guessed i'm just gonna have to wait till you say its ok :)
Gee thanks:f. You want me to risk my computer first, huh:e I'll look into it.:g

capnvic
January 28th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I think that I will attempt to load Hoster on the computer today or tomorrow with Windows 7 Beta. I realize I am not going to get any support right now. However I would like to participate in future beta testing if possible. I suspect MS will be releasing Windows 7 sometime this fall. The Beta test eval runs out in August.

So far I haven't encountered any major problems with W7, with the exception of loading some incompatible software packages such as Symantec Anti Virus and McAfee AV 8.7i. I am also evaluating the beta version of Norton 360...

Beavis
January 28th, 2009, 12:52 PM
i couldnt get programs to install on 7

AOL would not install !

marklwood
January 28th, 2009, 03:56 PM
i couldnt get programs to install on 7

AOL would not install !

:e:e:eBeavis uses AOL:g

Beavis
January 28th, 2009, 06:55 PM
i use the pay AOL:s, and they give you the macafee software free on as many computers as you want.

ive been a member since 1995 :e

billyo
January 28th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Gee thanks:f. You want me to risk my computer first, huh:e I'll look into it.:g

at least you can fix it faster than the rest of us:g but anyway i ( we ) do appreciate it..thanks..

ddouglass
January 28th, 2009, 11:04 PM
.net Framework 3.5 is now coming up as a Critical Update.
I have just taken the plunge and installed .net Framework 3.5 with only one minor problem.
When the computer restarted, I logged in, it could not find my profile and logged me in with a Temp profile.
I then shutdown the computer and did a cold boot (power on start up). I then logged in and got my normal profile.
Hoster works exactly the same under 3.0 and 3.5.
This was done on XP Pro. I cannot vouch for Vista.:e

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->