PDA

View Full Version : Karaoke Player Problems found when using cheap CDR disc media

admin
December 10th, 2000, 06:52 AM
Some of Karaoke Players are very sensitive to the CDR media used. Cheap media is less acceptable (read below). Also writing a CDR disc at 1x seems to be required for the disc to play on some JVC and Sony models. It is reported that if the Karaoke Player can also play DVD discs, it is more likely to require backup copies be recorded at 1x speed.

Some of the cheaper media has a very thin metal reflective coating that the laser shines right through without being reflected. Thus, the pickup diode receiving the reflected laser signal sees nothing; i.e. No Disc signal is generated.

MTU recommends the Mitsui media. We have found it to perfect for years. They were the first certified to write at higher speeds, have a consistently superior product, and users report few if any bad discs in a 100 lot. The savings in time and frustration is worth the difference in price. Some users report excellent results with cheaper media, but over the years Mitsui has been the safest to use. If you don't like problems and experimenting, buy Mitsui.

One reputable source MTU has recommended for years is Master Recording Supply, Inc. (Voice: 800-860-4560). Ask for Blair LaGrandeur and mention MTU recommended them (we get no commission).

Noel
January 8th, 2001, 08:46 AM
Alway one to push the envelope, I have tested various CDR media at much higher speeds than recommended. I have found that "Mr Data" brand media rated at 8 times record gave me perfect results at that speed, and played back perfectly in a JVC player. I then recorded (again at 8X) the exact same session on a TDK blank rated at 12x and got all sorts of on-screen trash.

Try one of each brand until you find what works for you.

I do find that gold coloured discs do not play successfully in my car audio CD player.