PDA

View Full Version : SongBook Database Transfer

dbeland50
December 7th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Here might be one for you guys to think about. I'v built my database at home on desktop, where I've editted all my converted files to get the titles, artists, etc. looking good. Now, if I copy all the Access files from my desktop's Hoster File over to my presentation laptop's folder, will the integrity of the Access files be maintained? I'm guessing yes, but thought I'd ask.
Also, have had no problem coping the desktop created KMA files over to the KMA folder on the laptop for playing during presentations.
Just as a side note...had first live performance using the new Hoster software last night & all our folks raved about the display with the singer order listed & the top scrolling display.
The only problems so far seem to be with the lyrics/music syncing, which I see others have discussed concerning the 4.06 version. Also, can seem to resize the mini display after undocking, but this last isn't a major issue to me, just an inconvenience.

marklwood
December 7th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Here might be one for you guys to think about. I'v built my database at home on desktop, where I've editted all my converted files to get the titles, artists, etc. looking good. Now, if I copy all the Access files from my desktop's Hoster File over to my presentation laptop's folder, will the integrity of the Access files be maintained? I'm guessing yes, but thought I'd ask.
The short answer is yes.

The long answer is. Maybe, as long as the files from home are on the same drive letter and the same folders. I used to do this same thing. I would add new songs at home and copy those, along with the database file to my show computer. The only problem is, I had a little trouble once and had to rebuild my database at the bar and lost all my edits. Finally, I went through all my songs in the edit song dialog and fixed them there. It took me a solid month of spare time to get it done, but now all my KMAs are correct.

dbeland50
December 7th, 2008, 11:27 AM
I figured as much. Benic if the edits updated the master KMA file, but that is a little out of possibility here. To protect the files, I'm making double back-ups on two separate external drives so that its protected. Figure with over 30K songs, shouldn't have to add to many more xcept current hits as needed. Thanks for the response.

ddouglass
December 7th, 2008, 03:24 PM
If you Edit them through Hosters Edit Songs tool then the change is permanent or make sure you edit them as you import them. That way Rebuilding the database will not lose your changes. Editing the Access datbase directly is not a good idea at all.
As Mark said copying the KMA files and the database to the other computer will work as long as the KMA files are placed in exactly the same drive letter and folder(s) on the second computer.