PDA

View Full Version : How I fixed 4.02

RIKKI TIKKI
August 14th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Hi this is Cal Stover, a programmer supporting RIKKI TIKKI. I have stabilized his system and wanted to share how I did it.

COMPAL DCY30 (Laptop)
Windows XP Home 2002 SP3
Pentium 4 2.88 GHz
512 MB RAM
Display: ATI RC300M
Driver version: 6.14.10.6396

This system was more or less OK until we used the logo feature for the intermission screen. Once we added it, we started getting lockups. To fix the problem, we used the following workaround.

Right click the desktop, choose display, then click advanced in the settings tab.

http://www.free-imagehosting.net/photos/display1.gif

(Note that I've selected display 2 before hitting advanced. You're going to need to repeat this procedure with display 1 also)

OK, so hit advanced and choose the troubleshooting tab:

http://www.free-imagehosting.net/photos/display2.gif

We took the slider one notch to the left, and turned off write combining. You may wish to try other settings. Hit Apply, and hit OK. Select the other display and repeat these settings. Restart your system.

I had RIKKI TIKKI do everything he could to make the system lock up again and he failed. Your Milage May Very :w

* Remember to do the same thing to both displays!

ddouglass
August 14th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Good catch. This may help a few who are on the verge of getting things going.
I did notice though that his memory is only 512 and really should be increased if possible as that is bare minimum which may have been the initial cause of the problem.

RIKKI TIKKI
August 14th, 2008, 04:20 PM
We are working on a memory upgrade now. However, I'm a bit skeptical since his peak commit charge is only 320 MB even after running a trial show for a good while.

Of course one can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much RAM :g

madjim- with the Lord
August 14th, 2008, 05:03 PM
We are working on a memory upgrade now. However, I'm a bit skeptical since his peak commit charge is only 320 MB even after running a trial show for a good while.

Of course one can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much RAM :g

Cal,
I do not use WMP or their backgrounds nor do I run videos in my shows and 512 is still doing me a great job. Like you said thought, how can you have too much ram. :r :w :c

Jim :g

RIKKI TIKKI
August 14th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Cal,
I do not use WMP or their backgrounds nor do I run videos in my shows and 512 is still doing me a great job. Like you said thought, how can you have too much ram. :r :w :c

Jim,

I don't think the increase in Ram is necessary at this time either, but even though I couldn't get the computer to crash when Cal ( my I.T. buddy ) was here helping me to straighten out the 4.02 glitches that I was seeing once I inserted a piece of clipart that I use for Logo during intermission screen. I know that the gremlins will probably rear their ugly heads when the lights come on! Wish Me Luck !!!:e:):c:g

Rick
Rikki Tikki Karaoke

madjim- with the Lord
August 15th, 2008, 03:23 AM
Rock on Rick, I'm sure Hoster 4 will do you a good job. I LOVE IT!

teddyt
August 15th, 2008, 10:56 AM
HP Pavillion ZD8000, external 250gb hard drive

I connected to Alltel 3g wireless and the external hard drive. Logged on to Rhapsody and was streaming music. Went to load a cdg and the music on Rhapsody slowed way down. Very strange. Then tried to load a cdg while someone was singing and the song slowed down and chattered. So while someone was singing I clicked on disconnect from Alltel and there song slowed way down. I stopped the song and restarted and it was fine. Apparently running other programs at the same time affects 4.02. I only had it freeze up once. After using ctrl alt delete it came right back.

Teddyt

ddouglass
August 15th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Especially when streaming music through network connection. Does your external drive have a USB connector? If so try hooking it directly to your computer.
The key here is how fast is your processor and how much memory do you have? Those play a big factor in any multitasking you ask your computer to do. So do the programs you are running. The new version of Hoster does require more of your computer's resources to run than the older versions because there is a lot more capability to it. You do know that you can add your audio music to Hoster now and use it to play your music breaks rather than having an outside program to do that.