PDA

View Full Version : Is Hoster Pro enough?

RandyMcCharles
April 29th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Hi. I have a large CDG collection that I would like to copy to hard disk in order to protect the CDGs. I plan to only use the hard disk system at home and for private parties. (I am not a karaoke host). I'll still take the CDGs out to bars to sing.

I've looked around at various hard disk software and Hoster looks to be the best. It may cost a bit more than a few of the others, but the others have "issues" and Hoster is not expensive.

My question is if Hoster will do everything I need to import and mange my CDGs or if I also need Microstudio or other MTU tools. I do not intend to make copies of my CDGs (the hard disk is the copy). Nor to I plan to strip vocals off regular music and create my own lyrics, etc. I'm just wondering if I will need microstudio if Hoster has problem reading some of my CDGs.

Thoughs?

madjim- with the Lord
April 29th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Randy,
Hoster will do everything you want to do with your CDG's. You will load your disc (karaoke tracks) into Hoster which turns them into KMA files and stores them on your hard drive. For your needs, just get Hoster. :w :c

Jim :g

RandyMcCharles
April 29th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Thanks Jim
That was what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure.

My schedule won't give me time to transfer much until next January, so I was thinking of waiting until Hoster 4.0 is available, but looking around the site I don't see much discussion of 4.0 except that there will be architectual changes. Any ideas when 4.0 will be release and how it will differ from 3.321?

madjim- with the Lord
April 29th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Thanks Jim
That was what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure.

My schedule won't give me time to transfer much until next January, so I was thinking of waiting until Hoster 4.0 is available, but looking around the site I don't see much discussion of 4.0 except that there will be architectual changes. Any ideas when 4.0 will be release and how it will differ from 3.321?

I believe that 3.321 will do everything you need. 4.0 should be out soon, MTU is working hard on it's release. I'd get 3.321 and upgrade to 4.0 when it comes out if it has new features you need.

I hope this helps.

swany
April 29th, 2008, 08:52 PM
If the money is not that tight get the Microstudio so when you go to the clubs to sing take a custom disk with you instead of scratching your originals. Then you only have to take one disk with a bunch of your favorites on it. Been doing that myself for a long time. Once in a while the wife and I like to go out and check what others are doing and get some good ideas.

RandyMcCharles
April 29th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Excellent idea, however, clubs here (Canada) won't play home-made CDGs. It's originals by known manufacturers or nothing.

ddouglass
April 29th, 2008, 10:55 PM
You could always take the original with you to show you have them. They are probably concerned about legality. If you have the original available you can prove you are legal.

madjim- with the Lord
April 30th, 2008, 04:53 AM
Hoster 3.321 will do everything you said you wanted to do in your first post. No harm that will come from buying other MTU programs, I have used them all at one time or another and they are worth the money. I did not advise you buy McroStudio because you said you were not intrested in making copies of your discs. :s

Feel free to buy every program MTU puts out, you won't be dissapointed. :w

RandyMcCharles
April 30th, 2008, 12:57 PM
That's not a bad idea. I have no specific plans for burning my own CDGs for personal use, but things like that always come up. And it would be nice to create some CDGs of personal favorites.

madjim- with the Lord
April 30th, 2008, 02:26 PM
That's not a bad idea. I have no specific plans for burning my own CDGs for personal use, but things like that always come up. And it would be nice to create some CDGs of personal favorites.

10-4 :w :c :)

admin
April 30th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Randy, CDG format discs are far more sensitive than Audio CD or CDROM discs. The Lyrics data is NOT redundantly stored with error correction. THus, if you get a scratch through a lyrics data area, those lyrics will be damaged.

CDG Disc Producers are ALWAYS discontinuing past made discs. Thus, many of your discs are irreplaceable. YOU NEED to make a backup copy BEFORE they get damaged. Microstudio has the best error correction in the industry. With a good drive, it can do a remarkable job of even cleaning up scratched discs, but if the damage is bad enough, it can't be fixed.

You may want to consider either Hoster Lite, or the Hoster Suite 4 package if you wanted to go for the whole deal.

As to 4.0, we are hot and heavy on it. Lots of new stuff coming. If you buy 3.321 now, you will only have the differential to pay if you want 4.0. The 4.0 price for the FULL Ripper-Hoster-SongBook will be about $50 higher. We will offer an upgrade (as we do now), which would install over top of and replace the 3.321 installed version.

We were targeting April 30 :r, but decided to not release until we had more of the MAJOR features added (we will have a 4.1 and 4.2 that we already know of that will be free upgrades). We are making excellent progress, and 4.0 will be a beautiful package. I think we've out done ourselves on this one. :g

When will 4.0 release? It's software, so that is always a vaporous answer. May 30 - June 30 is the best I can say right now. I'm pushing very hard to get it out May 30, and so far that is not unreasonable with what we want to include in it.

RandyMcCharles
April 30th, 2008, 03:17 PM
I had already downloaded Hoster Pro trial test test the software and my hardware and already went through the OS config and driver updates, etc. What I found in testing the trial version of various software was the limited success/quality of ripping various CDG manufacturers. The only software that didn't have issues with my range of test CDGs was Hoster. Even the standalone ripping products didn't do as well.

I also found that the sound card in my Notebook (Vista) PC produced horrid sound while my old desktop PC (XP) produced excellent sound. I had orignally hoped to use my Notebook as my karaoke PC, but in the end decided the desktop is better. It handles 2 monitors more easily and doesn't really take up more space than the Notebook. I also don't have to worry about multi-use as I do use the Notebook for other things but the PC is retired. It can be karaoke only.

I prefer Pro over Lite because there is no point limiting features for the price difference. My collection is over 6000 songs and growing so I will probably use the book feature for house parties (though I may do my own ACCESS report). For house parties my friends also bringing their own CDGs and it is easier to play them through Hoster than hooking up my DVD/CDG player (hardware) to handle them. It would probably cost me more than $50 just to get the needed connectors.

I think I'll purchase the suite this weekend and start getting things going, but as I mentioned in my 1st email I won't have tiome to do much until January. (Too many current projects that have to wind down.)

Skybird74
May 2nd, 2008, 02:50 PM
We were targeting April 30 :r, but decided to not release until we had more of the MAJOR features added (we will have a 4.1 and 4.2 that we already know of that will be free upgrades). We are making excellent progress, and 4.0 will be a beautiful package. I think we've out done ourselves on this one. :g

When will 4.0 release? It's software, so that is always a vaporous answer. May 30 - June 30 is the best I can say right now. I'm pushing very hard to get it out May 30, and so far that is not unreasonable with what we want to include in it.

:?
ADMIN, if I read this correctly - 4.0 will probably NOT be ready before May 30??????? (so I won't keep looking everyday to see if it is out yet) I can't help but be disappointed, but am LOOKING FORWARD TO 4.0.

madjim- with the Lord
May 2nd, 2008, 03:02 PM
:?
ADMIN, if I read this correctly - 4.0 will probably NOT be ready before May 30??????? (so I won't keep looking everyday to see if it is out yet) I can't help but be disappointed, but am LOOKING FORWARD TO 4.0.

ADMIN POSTED:
"When will 4.0 release? It's software, so that is always a vaporous answer. May 30 - June 30 is the best I can say right now. I'm pushing very hard to get it out May 30, and so far that is not unreasonable with what we want to include in it."

If all goes smooth it will be released May 30th. If they hit some bumps in the road, it will be June 30th. Adnmin is just covering his bases. :w
MTU is adding some AWSOME features to 4.0 and they need to work correctly. Hang in there, it will be well woth the wait. :r :c

Skybird74
May 2nd, 2008, 05:04 PM
YEP, that looks like the same thing I quoted, so I will wait anxiously:)

goonie227
May 2nd, 2008, 05:47 PM
YEP, that looks like the same thing I quoted, so I will wait anxiously:)

Waiting is better than a product with bugs in it :g .
Dick